The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's not quoting for some reason, but I'm used to 'vanilla' Froyo now tbh, I don't know if I'll ever go back to Sense :ahee:
Cronos? I must be an complete noob because I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

I do however have now Launcher pro. :awesome:
Original post by G8D
Cronos is one of many devs that makes ROMs for rooted Heroes, +/- uses CronosDroid and I use elelinux's(another dev) 2.2 SE RC1.

It's CronosFroyo now :smug:

Original post by G8D
Vanilla is fine. Just needs a black bar (cominging Gingerbread) and a better dialer (Vanilla is poor compared to HTC's).

And it is quoting me.

This is the theme I used before but I changed the font back to 'normal'

I can't remember what the Sense Dialer was like, or why it's better. I'll have a look. :cyber:

Weird. :mute:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by G8D
Cronos is one of many devs that makes ROMs for rooted Heroes, +/- uses CronosDroid and I use elelinux's(another dev) 2.2 SE RC1.

Are you rooted?

Ohh right. Thanks for the explanation.

I haven't rooted my phone just yet. :colone:
Reply 2404
I've not rooted my SGS but I did install Froyo and flash the kernel, it's a lot faster now...

Also does anyone have the Desire HD? My mates got it and it lags pretty bad...obviously I haven't touched the FW cos he's thinking of sending it back so I don't wanna void his warranty.

I still think the SGS is better though...:colondollar:
Reply 2405
Original post by G8D
How can you install a kernal without rooting :erm:

Used the SGS's recover mode and it's pretty easy, just used Odin to flash the kernel then update it through recovery mode. Those guys at xda are awesome. :yep:

How would you know you're phones rooted anyway? :holmes:
Reply 2406
Original post by bigmo7
I've not rooted my SGS but I did install Froyo and flash the kernel, it's a lot faster now...

Also does anyone have the Desire HD? My mates got it and it lags pretty bad...obviously I haven't touched the FW cos he's thinking of sending it back so I don't wanna void his warranty.

I still think the SGS is better though...:colondollar:

I have the Desire HD, had it two days now, probably the best phone i've used in a long time, has your friend updated it? And try a factory reset, all the problems people are having, i haven't had any, not even the battery dying quickly, my battery has lasted from 100% for about 11 hours, and its only on about 30% now and i've been using it for demanding games such as Angry Birds, listening to music for about 20 minutes and using the internet constantly for about 7 hours, including checking emails and having one or two calls. People need to stop whinging about the phone itself, its a smartphone and the battery obviously isn't going to last long on such a high demanding phone.
(edited 13 years ago)
When does 2.2 froyo come out for Samsung Galaxy S?
Reply 2408
Original post by G8D
Install SU permission and a root app.

If SUP pops up asking you to allow/deny then you are rooted.

it's not rooted then :p: I could root it but I can't see the benefits yet tbh. Phone's a lot faster than when I first got it and it's 2.2 so I'm good for now...I think. I can't help but tinker with it, it's pretty hard to brick so you know....
Reply 2409
Original post by AdamOAO
I have the Desire HD, had it two days now, probably the best phone i've used in a long time, has your friend updated it? And try a factory reset, all the problems people are having, i haven't had any, not even the battery dying quickly, my battery has lasted from 100% for about 11 hours, and its only on about 30% now and i've been using it for demanding games such as Angry Birds, listening to music for about 20 minutes and using the internet constantly for about 7 hours, including checking emails and having one or two calls. People need to stop whinging about the phone itself, its a smartphone and the battery obviously isn't going to last long on such a high demanding phone.

No they only got internet hooked up to their place this Friday, I've used the software and compared it to mine and it is definitely slower, no doubt about it...

I'll tell him to factory reset and update it and see if that helps, it was pretty annoying though.

Original post by Hippysnake
When does 2.2 froyo come out for Samsung Galaxy S?

http://topnews.co.uk/216100-samsung-rolls-out-android-22-froyo-update-galaxy-s-smartphone

I couldn't be asked waiting and having branded software so I did it myself anyway, so much less hassle.
Original post by bigmo7
No they only got internet hooked up to their place this Friday, I've used the software and compared it to mine and it is definitely slower, no doubt about it...

I'll tell him to factory reset and update it and see if that helps, it was pretty annoying though.

http://topnews.co.uk/216100-samsung-rolls-out-android-22-froyo-update-galaxy-s-smartphone

I couldn't be asked waiting and having branded software so I did it myself anyway, so much less hassle.

Will that work for my contract Vodafone handset as well?
Reply 2411
Will that work for my contract Vodafone handset as well?

Yeah it should do, mine was T-mobile branded and a really old version as well :rolleyes:

I think you void your warranty when you do update the FW this way but I wasn't going to be able to do an OTA update since my sim card is on O2/Tesco so I didn't hang around. What FW have you got on there atm?

Original post by G8D
That is a really pish site.
Just clicked on the Kinect article, it's so badly worded and taken out of context :p:

It was the first site that came up on Google news :p:

But I do know that for the SGS Froyo has only recently started coming through in the UK so I think they're right even if they can't write it properly. :mmm:
Original post by bigmo7
Yeah it should do, mine was T-mobile branded and a really old version as well :rolleyes:

I think you void your warranty when you do update the FW this way but I wasn't going to be able to do an OTA update since my sim card is on O2/Tesco so I didn't hang around. What FW have you got on there atm?

It was the first site that came up on Google news :p:

But I do know that for the SGS Froyo has only recently started coming through in the UK so I think they're right even if they can't write it properly. :mmm:

I have 2.1, I think. Did the Galaxy S not ship with 2.1?
Reply 2413
I have 2.1, I think. Did the Galaxy S not ship with 2.1?

Yeah but I mean which FW is it on Éclair, go into Settings --> About phone then scroll down and have a look at the Baseband version...what does it say?

It should say something like I9000XXxxx....
Reply 2414
Original post by G8D
Do you not feel that the Samsung is quite.. cheap feeling? That would put me off getting it, or similar.

I don't think so, I know what you mean though. The phone's pretty light and the material is bit iffy but I really like the design and how slim it is. The screen more than makes up for it though imo, I even compared it to the Desire HD and it just looks so much better :dice:

I can't say I regret getting it at all :wink:
Reply 2415
Original post by G8D
Speed-wise it is unmatched.. But I think I will stick with HTC for aesthetics/feel.
My contract isn't up until September anyway, who knows what we'll be seeing then :moon:

I know what you mean cos the HTC does feel solid and really well built...but a Super AMOLED screen :excited:

I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep this phone for tbh, paid £300 for it and I seem to be prone to buying a new phone every year :colondollar:
Reply 2416
Original post by G8D
I'd consider upgrading before my contract ends, but I also want to move out next year, so we'll see :moon:

I'm on the Tesco £10 a month contract so I can't afford to get a new phone and it works out cheaper than getting stuck in a 18/24 month contract :awesome:
Original post by Kevin J
An update came up on my hero but I clicked update later. I now have no idea how to access the update. I've tried turning on/turning off/removing SIM card, but it didn't work.

Any ideas?

Original post by ?!master?!mini?!
Menu.settings.about.check for software update.

When I go to about the only options I have are status, legal information and system tutorial.

Anyone else know?

EDIT: I done it. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2418
Original post by G8D
It's the route I'd like to go down :p:

2 years is just too long to have a Hero.

Tbh 2 years on any phone is too long for me...

I'm not sure what apps to get for my phone...it's been so long since my last Android phone that I don't even know what they're capable of anymore! :sigh:
Reply 2419
Original post by G8D
Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja aaaaaaaaaaaand idk tbh.

Whatever Android is capable of.. my Hero isn't.

That's the problem, I've got so many games on my iPod touch that it seems kinda pointless getting them on the Android market.

When did you get the Hero? It seems a bit on the weak side in terms of it's processor :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending