The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by fait
Asian languages are a bloody nightmare when you start comparing them with English. Or even with logic. :rolleyes: At least speaking Korean is nice. It's got a special something about it. :lol:

I can only tell the difference between 'Bear' and 'Yes' after trying to find it. :lol: It's like the 'ea' in Bear is pronounced slightly longer than the 'e' in Yes. It makes more sense when I say it outloud.

Yeah, there's a very slight difference, but I definitely can't hear it when people are speaking at a normal pace! I thought Italian was hard enough :lol: Korean is so pretty, but I don't know if I'll get anywhere with it. I might just be an obnoxious English speaker and stick to the expat community. I feel bad, but I only intend to live there for a year or two at most, so I can't see myself being particularly fluent in that time :s

I completely forgot it was Halloween until the other day. :redface: Cba to do anything about it though. How was the party? Did it get broken up like this? :lol:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11660254

No, thank God! Luckily it was just a bit of vomit under the sink and a sticky floor, which I can deal with! The party itself was alright, although I spent most of the night babysitting my two friends who got horrendously drunk and wouldn't stop telling me how gay they were, while groping me when I tried to talk to them. :rolleyes:

You go to the security office or whatever it's called (Andrew Huxley building, if you come out of the Print Room and take a left and keep walking until a little before you get to the History Department, it should be a little on your right. You get your 2nd card for free, but for any other cards you'll have to pay £25 or something. I lost mine on my 1st day. :colondollar:

Thanks. Do they jsut make you a replacement on the spot, or do I have to come back on another day? And do I need a new photo? I cba making an effort with my appearance for lectures normally, so it's a hassle if I do.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Lizia
Argh, I've lost my student ID. Any of you done the same and can tell me how long a replacement takes? And if I need my photo redone?

Go to the security office by the print room cafe and get a replacement. You don't have to get another photo as your old photo will be on file.
Reply 1202
Original post by Lizia

Yeah, there's a very slight difference, but I definitely can't hear it when people are speaking at a normal pace! I thought Italian was hard enough Korean is so pretty, but I don't know if I'll get anywhere with it. I might just be an obnoxious English speaker and stick to the expat community. I feel bad, but I only intend to live there for a year or two at most, so I can't see myself being particularly fluent in that time :s

Italian sounds so sexy, haha. But one of my friends did it at the language centre last year and hated it, saying it’s one of the most difficult things he’s ever done, etc. etc. Dunno really.

DON’T GIVE UP YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!11 But definitely know how you feel on that one, culturally and linguistically. It just seems the more characters and grammar I learn, the less I actually know about the language. That and the Japanese you learn first usually isn’t actually that useful if you wanna get friends and not just work. Still, you should be fine since I’m assuming you’re virtually fluent in French and Italian (not that they’re similar to Korean, but y’know. :p: )

No, thank God! Luckily it was just a bit of vomit under the sink and a sticky floor, which I can deal with! The party itself was alright, although I spent most of the night babysitting my two friends who got horrendously drunk and wouldn't stop telling me how gay they were, while groping me when I tried to talk to them.

HAHAHA. That sounds familiar!

Thanks. Do they jsut make you a replacement on the spot, or do I have to come back on another day? And do I need a new photo? I cba making an effort with my appearance for lectures normally, so it's a hassle if I do.

You've probably already done it, but yup, same photo and it gets done in about 5 minutes. Kinda sucks you can't change the photo 'cos mine literally looks like a police mugshot and the girl who took it said it looks 'really nice'. Bitch. :mad:

****YEAH I GET READING WEEK THIS YEAR.
Anyone know when volleyball training is? I just joined the soc but don't know when I should go.
Thanks in advance!
Reply 1204
Original post by none of the above
Anyone know when volleyball training is? I just joined the soc but don't know when I should go.
Thanks in advance!

http://groupspaces.com/UCLUVolleyball/

THANK GOD ITS READING WEEK. :biggrin:
Original post by fait
http://groupspaces.com/UCLUVolleyball/

THANK GOD ITS READING WEEK. :biggrin:

Great, thanks! :smile:

Reading week? Cool. Tests during reading week? NOT cool.
It's effectively a second reading week for me as well. Usually have Wednesdays off and Thursday and Friday are jours fériés. Also have a class cancelled Tuesday. So, two days in total at la fac this week... need to get away.
Would love to study law at UCL
Reply 1208
The amount of reading I have to do this week is unreal. FML.
Reply 1209
Original post by PJ991

Oh believe me, wait until you get to second year, my boy! I miss fresher's so badly, if only because it was relatively less reading! :lol: How are you finding first year?

I have three 2,500 word essays to do by next Tuesday week, and have so much reading to do for each, then of course write the bloody things. They're each worth 50% of a module as well. And then I'll have the same joy at Christmas for the other 50%s, but at least then I'll have five weeks to write three essays, not two!

I now know why they call it 'Reading Week', not half term. :frown:

EDIT: I'm bored and procrastinating so I just read back over this thread. I found a post from two weeks into last year asking if I could miss a class to go to the doctor's. Aww, freshers naivety is cute :lol:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1210
Original post by Lizia
Oh believe me, wait until you get to second year, my boy! I miss fresher's so badly, if only because it was relatively less reading! :lol: How are you finding first year?

I have three 2,500 word essays to do by next Tuesday week, and have so much reading to do for each, then of course write the bloody things. They're each worth 50% of a module as well. And then I'll have the same joy at Christmas for the other 50%s, but at least then I'll have five weeks to write three essays, not two!

EDIT: I'm bored and procrastinating so I just read back over this thread. I found a post from two weeks into last year asking if I could miss a class to go to the doctor's. Aww, freshers naivety is cute :lol:

It's alright I suppose. I've missed too much, and I still do the old "I'll do it tomorrow" thing which leaves me with a pile of reading to do, like now. Obviously I regret not reading, but such is life. This week will be my catch-up. I've enjoyed my time.

We've got a test that comes available tomorrow. I'm quite looking forward to it, oddly:s-smilie:.

I don't even know what our essay titles are yet.
Reply 1211
Original post by PJ991
It's alright I suppose. I've missed too much, and I still do the old "I'll do it tomorrow" thing which leaves me with a pile of reading to do, like now. Obviously I regret not reading, but such is life. This week will be my catch-up. I've enjoyed my time.

We've got a test that comes available tomorrow. I'm quite looking forward to it, oddly:s-smilie:.

I don't even know what our essay titles are yet.

They normally give you the essay titles the week before the end of term/reading week. So if your essays are to be done over Christmas, you won't hear anything until week 9 or so.

I'm not sure how much attention they pay to the grammar tests. You get the mark straight away then it's almost never mentioned again :lol:
Gotta love it all :facepalm2:

I've got a contrôle de continue in a couple of weeks in a class I've been to twice all year. Better start working.
Reply 1213
Original post by none of the above
Great, thanks! :smile:

Reading week? Cool. Tests during reading week? NOT cool.

Original post by PJ991

I feel your pain guys. I feel your pain. >;(

Original post by Lizia

DAMN, they're pulling no punches there. Good luck with that! I just remembered that I have a 3000 word essay to do on a material of my choice for January, but I can't really remember the last time I wrote a proper essay hahaha... :rolleyes:

:lol: That reminds me of this thing I heard in the Overheard at UCL thing.

Fresher: Hi, do you know how to get to the 2nd floor bars?
Shop Keeper: Have you tried the 2nd floor
Fresher: No...

Freshers' naivety (or stupidity?) at it's finest! 8D

Did anyone go to the protest yesterday?
It's weird but I'm finding myself impassioned for a fourth year course I'm planning to take. All well and good now to be researching the structure of the French political system but I'll probably have other ideas come next October.
Original post by lilzoldier
Would love to study law at UCL

what movie is your sig from?
Reply 1216
In the past week I have written 8,000 words. I think I deserve a drink. Or several.
I deserve nothing in comparison, probably not even to live.
Original post by Lizia
In the past week I have written 8,000 words. I think I deserve a drink. Or several.

I did 11,500 the week before :p:

Just got that bit of coursework back though and got 80% :biggrin:
I have 7,500 words to do by January... What an easy life I lead. Apart from all that Russian work that is never going to get done, ever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending