The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xbabycakes
yeah same. I can't believe there's 1600 applicants! fml :frown: what are your grades like? I'm not that strong on my academics (compared to others) so I hope my PS is going to make an impact! :redface:

I was really surprised about the 1600 applicants thing too... had no idea that psychology was such a competitive course in the UK.

I don't actually know my predicted grade, because in my school, we're not allowed to know :frown: It's good that your PS is strong, since considering how so many applicants have near-perfect grades, the PS might just as well be the decision factor. I don't think my PS is quite up to scratch...

Gosh, I hate waiting :mad:
(edited 13 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Interpretation
I was really surprised about the 1600 applicants thing too... had no idea that psychology was such a competitive course in the UK.

I don't actually know my predicted grade, because in my school, we're not allowed to know :frown: It's good that your PS is strong, since considering how so many applicants have near-perfect grades, the PS might just as well be the decision factor. I don't think my PS is quite up to scratch...

Gosh, I hate waiting :mad:

I hate waiting too! :frown: it's not fair. I atleast just want to know if I'm going to get rejected! My predicted grades are A*AA but I highly doubt I'm going to get it. Do you know when we should hear from them? I heard it's mid November but that could be completely wrong x
I hate waiting too! :frown: it's not fair. I atleast just want to know if I'm going to get rejected! My predicted grades are A*AA but I highly doubt I'm going to get it. Do you know when we should hear from them? I heard it's mid November but that could be completely wrong x

Those are really good predicted grades! :smile:

I have no idea when they'll start giving offers to/rejecting applicants for psychology.
Applied for French and Russian on 11/10, predicted A*A*AA.
Haven't heard anything since the acknowledgement and I'm getting really twitchy!
Anyone with an interview for languages or anything in SSEES?
Reply 784
I have my interview tomorrow!! Im soo nervous!
I'm applying for EEE. dyou think they'd ask me mathematical questions cos i can't remember anything from C1!!
=\
Original post by Doja
I have my interview tomorrow!! Im soo nervous!
I'm applying for EEE. dyou think they'd ask me mathematical questions cos i can't remember anything from C1!!
=\

I also have my interview tomorrow haha, i'm not nervous at all though.

I think they will ask a few maths/ physics questions...my guess is it'll probably be stuff based on differential equations (in context) and stuff on DC electricity. (and anything you included in your PS)

I just received a questionnaire from the psychology department... :smile: Do you know if all applicants for psychology are supposed to receive this, or is it only for international applicants?
I just received a questionnaire from the psychology department... :smile: Do you know if all applicants for psychology are supposed to receive this, or is it only for international applicants?

You had me worried then! No it's just for international students. If you look on the website it says something like 'We require all students to visit the department and uni after receiving an offer, for those who are unable attend or international applicants a questionnaire will be sent instead'
Original post by Noodlzzz
You had me worried then! No it's just for international students. If you look on the website it says something like 'We require all students to visit the department and uni after receiving an offer, for those who are unable attend or international applicants a questionnaire will be sent instead'

Oh, I see. Thanks for pointing that out. I just had a look at the questions, and I can honestly say that this questionnaire will probably be the ultimate downfall in my application (and my personal statement is bad enough already)...

EDIT: Actually I just checked the application FAQ on the website (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lifesciences-faculty/degree-programmes/psychology/Application_Procedure/) and it says the following:

"a) I have been sent a questionnaire to complete. What is this for?
A questionnaire is sent to all UK-based candidates and to all non-UK students who meet our academic requirements and are being considered for a place at UCL. The aim of this questionnaire is to obtain more information about your suitability for the course. In particular, we aim to find out more about your interest in psychology. You may have already included some of this information on your UCAS form."

This is rather confusing...
(edited 13 years ago)
What sort of questions are there? Are they subject specific or general "why do you want to go to UCL?" questions?
Oh, I see. Thanks for pointing that out. I just had a look at the questions, and I can honestly say that this questionnaire will probably be the ultimate downfall in my application (and my personal statement is bad enough already)...

Any chance you could PM it to me? I'd like to know what they ask...

Applied for psychology. I'm doomed, the department site says that there are around 1600 applicants for the course every year and only 110 places. :O

Oh that's the usual ratio though.. and they always give out more offers than there are places.

EDIT: Actually I just checked the application FAQ on the website (http://www.ucl.ac.uk/lifesciences-faculty/degree-programmes/psychology/Application_Procedure/) and it says the following:

A questionnaire is sent to all UK-based candidates and to all non-UK students who meet our academic requirements and are being considered for a place at UCL. The aim of this questionnaire is to obtain more information about your suitability for the course. In particular, we aim to find out more about your interest in psychology. You may have already included some of this information on your UCAS form."

Oh my.. this doesn't look good :frown: I haven't got one! when did you send your application off? Maybe they're sending them to international students first? gahhh, this has worried me now!
Original post by Noodlzzz
Any chance you could PM it to me? I'd like to know what they ask...

same.. though this'll probably be my downfall too :frown:
Just seen this under "When can I expect to receive a decision on my application?" on the page Interpretation linked:

"Once we receive your application from UCAS we aim to make an initial decision as to whether to invite you to complete a questionnaire or to attend an interview within four weeks. If a decision is delayed beyond four weeks it is usually because your UCAS form did not contain sufficient information (e.g., incomplete information about predicted grades or missing reference). Please note that all applications must include predicted grades for any exams which have not yet been taken. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that this information is provided on the UCAS form.

Once you have returned your questionnaire to us and have (where appropriate) been to one of our UCAS BSc Psychology Open Day, you can expect to receive a decision through UCAS within four weeks.

If you are concerned that you have not heard from us after this four week timeframe then you are welcome to email the Admissions Officer."

My got sent off on October 20th so not too long left :s-smilie:. Not to be downbeat but has anyone been/heard of someone being rejected for Psychology yet?
Original post by thecodman
Jus straight econ, havnt heard anything yet. its getting nervous :s-smilie:

Hey! Me too! :biggrin:
Haven't heard anything yet either :s-smilie:
The wait is nerve-wracking!:redface:

Oh bugger, I was confusing the open day with questionnaire looking at the FAQ :/

'Applicants may be sent a questionnaire to complete prior to a decision being made. Some applicants may also be invited for interview. All applicants who are offered a place will be invited to attend a UCL Psychology open day. '

Does this mean some special cases (international, mature, special considerations etc.) get interviews / questionnaires or does everyone do you reckon? Oh FML, no questionnaire in inbox :frown: When did you send yours off?
just chillax, if they want you they will invite you to an interview/open day or they will give you an offer chiiiiiil
Reply 798
Original post by Starlight-x
Hey! Me too! :biggrin:
Haven't heard anything yet either :s-smilie:
The wait is nerve-wracking!:redface:

yh i no, loads of people w/ insane grades got rejected. i am a bit worried but guess jus have to wait patiently :s-smilie:
Thought I'd give a head up and say I know someone who got rejected for english today with A*AA :/ Makes me feel ****

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending