The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

I have just had an email from the admissions tutor at durham asking for more information about my gap year placement-after reading my personal statement.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing??:s-smilie::frown:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 721
Original post by emilyanne2010
I have just had an email from the admissions tutor at durham asking for more information about my gap year placement-after reading my personal statement.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing??:s-smilie::frown:

I wouldn't treat it as a bad thing. They're probably making sure that you're going to make use of your time ; ) You could treat it as a good thing because they're interested in your application! Just do what they say : P
Original post by Hnk2401
I wouldn't treat it as a bad thing. They're probably making sure that you're going to make use of your time ; ) You could treat it as a good thing because they're interested in your application! Just do what they say : P

Thanks! I am doing Year in the Industry- so working in an engineering company for a year. Do you think that they just want to know more about it?
thanks! I hate waiting!
Reply 723
Thanks! I am doing Year in the Industry- so working in an engineering company for a year. Do you think that they just want to know more about it?
thanks! I hate waiting!

Yea probably. What's your degree choice? Because it would be great if it links well with your subject!

Waiting is the painful part! But at least they're probably considering your application if they want to know more! : )
Original post by Hnk2401
Yea probably. What's your degree choice? Because it would be great if it links well with your subject!

Waiting is the painful part! But at least they're probably considering your application if they want to know more! : )

I am doing general enginering and working in an engineering company!
What are you studying/applying for?
Reply 725
I am doing general enginering and working in an engineering company!
What are you studying/applying for?

Wow that's perfect then! haha

I got an offer for geography yesterday! So I'm really happy about that.

Which college are you applying to?
Original post by Hnk2401
Wow that's perfect then! haha

I got an offer for geography yesterday! So I'm really happy about that.

Which college are you applying to?

WOW!! congrats!! i am so jealous! i really want to know now!
St Trevs. and you??
Reply 727
Original post by River85
Oh yeah, I think that should be fine.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/icons/icon4.gif

Durham's small so easy to walk around. You won't have anything like transport costs.

Very hilly though... but then again you'll save time for not needing to go the gym.
Reply 728
WOW!! congrats!! i am so jealous! i really want to know now!
St Trevs. and you??

St Aidan's. Never seen it but tbh really don't mind where they put me haha
Reply 729
Original post by GTWorm
Oh my word, you're way better than me...I got AABB at AS and I'm predicted AAA. (And GCSE's are 4 A*, 4 A and a B). If you get in I'll have to live vicariously through you! :biggrin: I applied to St. Johns as apparently they're really good for Theology, though I would love to live in a castle. I have an offer from Nottingham too - we may end up going to Uni together! lol, I applied to Oxford as well - though it is extremely ulikely I'll even get an interview with my grades, but if I do we may end up seeing each other on 6th December! (though I've applied to Keble). You're the only other PhilThe person I've met on TSR. What essays did you send off for Oxford? And what reading have you done for an interview? :smile:

I only applied to University College because I heard it had an impressive drama union thing. I wanted to apply to drama schools like Rada and Central etc, but, due to my grades my parents were like "ahh you're gonna waste your like away trying to be an actress blah blah" so here I am applying to Durham! I'm praying I get into Oxford because the Oxford Review sounds so up my street...my brother is at Oxford atm reading english literature and he's sharing a student house (2nd year) with a girl who's head of the Oxford Review... If I get into Oxford I will be making friends with her sharpish lol :smile:
Yeah, if you get an interview let me know! We could arrange some post-interview drinks hahaha.

I sent off two essays, one was to do with the design argument (is it a convincing argument etc etc ) and the other was all about the problem of evil and suffering. I don't do theology so I had to send off some philosophy of religion essays. I'm not to happy with my essays but oh well, whatever will be will be. Yourself?

And as for interview prep, I have just been reading the 8 books I said ive read on my statement.....eeek hope I read them in time. I wish I had put books i had already read lol. Yourself?
"Your application has been recieved by the department." AHHHHH!!!

I know this must vary by departments, but does anyone know long it usually takes for the Anthropology department to get back to you??

How exciting! Who else has applied for Cuths/Collingwood? :smile:
Reply 731
Original post by bun
Hi - nice to see another linguist! haha - not a stupid question at all, it took me ages to figur eout what to do. In the end, I noticed that it say to add te abbreviated forms of the languages in the Further details. So for you it would be Fr and Ge (assuming they are post A-level, if either is beginners, then put FrB/GeB.
Hope that's helpful :smile:

heyy thanks for the answer, soz i am rubbish at checking on here
i see you're a french and germaner too, hopefully see you next year :smile:
Reply 732
Offer for Geology AAB :biggrin: *throws arms in air* :smile:
Another day.....Another day still in the department :frown:
Reply 734
Offer for Engineering at Grey just got through - AAA
Original post by pipster93
"Your application has been recieved by the department." AHHHHH!!!

I know this must vary by departments, but does anyone know long it usually takes for the Anthropology department to get back to you??

How exciting! Who else has applied for Cuths/Collingwood? :smile:

Hiya :smile:
I've applied for Anthropology too :biggrin: :biggrin:
Got my confirmation email on the 12th of October, and I just got my offer about ten minutes ago. So about a monthish? :smile:
Original post by techiegsy
Offer for Engineering at Grey just got through - AAA

Congrats!

How were you notified of which college you got? Did it say under you offer conditions?
Reply 737
I got an unconditional offer for Modern Languages (french and german) at St Chad's!!!
I'm so unbelievably happy!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

I applied last year and got an offer, but from a different college (Van Mildert), which I didn't like at all when i went to go visit it, so I ended up withdrawing my application.

so now im CRAZY happy :biggrin:
Reply 738
Original post by Amelia13
I only applied to University College because I heard it had an impressive drama union thing. I wanted to apply to drama schools like Rada and Central etc, but, due to my grades my parents were like "ahh you're gonna waste your like away trying to be an actress blah blah" so here I am applying to Durham! I'm praying I get into Oxford because the Oxford Review sounds so up my street...my brother is at Oxford atm reading english literature and he's sharing a student house (2nd year) with a girl who's head of the Oxford Review... If I get into Oxford I will be making friends with her sharpish lol :smile:
Yeah, if you get an interview let me know! We could arrange some post-interview drinks hahaha.

I sent off two essays, one was to do with the design argument (is it a convincing argument etc etc ) and the other was all about the problem of evil and suffering. I don't do theology so I had to send off some philosophy of religion essays. I'm not to happy with my essays but oh well, whatever will be will be. Yourself?

And as for interview prep, I have just been reading the 8 books I said ive read on my statement.....eeek hope I read them in time. I wish I had put books i had already read lol. Yourself?

Ooh, you do drama? I love drama! And music as well - I'm hoping there's a good Orchestra at Durham (or wherever I end up!) I have some friends applying to Rada and others, but I always thought it was just as good to go somewhere like oxford/durham/cambridge and join the drama stuff there - and you get a good degree out at the end of it! I love the look of Oxford and Durham and I sooo want to get into either of them!! Ooh, what college is your brother at? Definately! I think I'll be needing some post interview drinks, should I get an interview! PM me if you get an interview too - or hear anything from either Durham or Oxford.

Yeah, I sent off two too, but as I don't do R.S or Philosophy or anything I had to send off one essay from History and one from English Lit. I'm not sure whether they're good enough though...my history was the essay I'm writing for my coursework (on Woodrow Wilson), but I haven't finished editing it, so I had to send of my first draft. My English got 27/30, which I consider very good for me, but I don't know what it will be like compared to people (such as you!) who are predicted all A*s. It's annoying that I haven't studied either Philosophy or Theology, as I feel I'm at a bit of a disadvatage, though technically it doesn't matter. Oh well, que sera sera!

I only mentioned 4 books/authors and I'd already read two of them, so I only have two to go! I need to read Plato's Republic as in my personal statement I made links with political philosophy and communism etc to link in with my history work and I need to read up on St Thomas Aquinas for the Theology side. I haven't really made the two subjects link, as I like political and mathematical philosophy on the one side and pure theology on the other.

I got my letter from Nottingham through the post today! It was soaking wet, so I had to dry it on the radiator, haha. Are you going up to the post-application open day in february or march? We may see each other then! :smile:
Reply 739
Ive applied for Primary Teaching at Stockton at stephenson!

Anybody in Stockton could tell me more about student life? When we looked round I really liked the campus and the course sounded good! Didn't see much of the town though.

My application is with the department, I hope I get an interview!!
Good luck everyone & well done to everyone who's got offers so far!
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending