The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It is accepted by the vast majority of universities. Check their websites for more information.
Reply 2
I know....but they only say IB baccalaureate on the website. I have emailed them but it will take a while, so i am asking here
Reply 3
I know but it doesnt say. it only says they accept international baccalaureate, dont know is it diploma or certificate....
Reply 4
I don't know much about the IB certificate, but I heard a score of 45 in IB is a ticket into any university? is this true? someone told me a 45 in an IBs is like 4 A* at a level
Reply 5
Original post by ilyking
I don't know much about the IB certificate, but I heard a score of 45 in IB is a ticket into any university? is this true? someone told me a 45 in an IBs is like 4 A* at a level

It is 6 A*s....
the International bacculariate is accepted my friend got excepted by cambridge with a 38 i think, its pretty good as far as things go.
Reply 7
By certificate do you mean 1 or more subjects from the IB, but not the full diploma? If so I'm not sure if universities would except them as they generally expect IB students to be doing the full diploma.
Reply 8
Oxbridge want 38/39 points or more at IB. It is out of 45. If you get 45, you are officially a genius. Any score above 40 :h: is absolutely amazing. It is more difficult than a course of A levels, and is recognised all over the world as a leading qualification (great. Even more IB propoganda)

Everyone at my school does IB, and 99% go to university. Two years ago, 100%.

So yes...
^^ Yuck, smug IB people. Makes me want to throw up.
Original post by louis9143
Did anyone get into university with the IB Certificate? Or know anyone that did?
I am doing the IB Certificate and I was shocked when my teacher told me that I would'nt be able to get into universities with that.....
Please answer me....

Your teacher should face disciplinary procedures. If anything the IB is More respected than A Levels by universities. I achieved 42 on the IB in 2008 and am now studying Natural Sciences at Cambridge.
Reply 11
Original post by soutioirsim

ahem...

[Be sure to say this in a slow, low droning voice to replicate the extreme excitement of the IB -_- It is that fun]

"woop. IB, you rock, woop."

that is all
Original post by Van Grall
ahem...

[Be sure to say this in a slow, low droning voice to replicate the extreme excitement of the IB -_- It is that fun]

woop. IB, you rock, woop.

that is all

:lolwut:
Original post by soutioirsim

Look mate, is not that we are smug! IB is considered as the top sixth form curriculum and usually most IB students come out of the IB with knowledge in a particular subject equivalent to that of the first year of university (and I'm not saying this to be smug or anything else). Does this mean I think A-Levels are absolute rubbish?! No, it's only that the objectives and aims of both courses are different (while IB focuses on a broader range of subjects, A-Levels are more focused, as you usually choose them according to the career at uni you want to do and also, they focus more on the actual exam at the end of the 2nd year during the whole duration of the course.) And this comes from someone who's currently taking the IB + 2AS level (Physics & Maths).

And considering the OP, the certificate is considerably less prestigious than the IB diploma. Usually, universities consider that those students who have the IB certificate are those who couldn't reach the 24 points to go for the whole diploma. In my opinion, is a waste of time as you don't get a diploma in further education (and the IB certificate is not a diploma), you waste your life during two years in which you can either do A-Levels and BTECs (the last one would be at least recognized as a diploma in further education and accepted by most Uni's).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
I know you could get into unis with the full ib diploma....the problem is i am not doing the full diploma i am doing the certificate which i am doing 5 subjects
I know you could get into unis with the full ib diploma....the problem is i am not doing the full diploma i am doing the certificate which i am doing 5 subjects

Excluding those five subjects are you doing something else (like A-Levels, BTEC's or Foundation courses) or only the certificate? Because if you are doing only the certificate, then no, you can't enter a top twenty university as like I've said before, they look at you like someone who hasn't reach the 24 points to get the full diploma and hasn't do either CAS, TOK or the Extended Essay. Those three are obligatory in order to get a diploma, excluding the fact that you already need to reach 24 points by adding all the 6 subjects+CAS+TOK+EE and those last three are not taken by certificate students, thus leading that even though you get 7 in all 5 subjects you can only get up 35 points and you don't get the diploma, just a bunch of certificates basically saying that you attended lessons during two years and have done your exams, but that you haven't met the requirements to get the full diploma.
Reply 16
perhaps if most of those 5 subjects are at higher level?
and you filled your spare time up with work experience...

but it will be harder to get into a high tier uni... I have friends who did IB certificate and are at Blackpool and Preston... but nothing higher than that (though they didn't do 5 subjects)
Reply 17
Original post by HyperInSugar
Excluding those five subjects are you doing something else (like A-Levels, BTEC's or Foundation courses) or only the certificate? Because if you are doing only the certificate, then no, you can't enter a top twenty university as like I've said before, they look at you like someone who hasn't reach the 24 points to get the full diploma and hasn't do either CAS, TOK or the Extended Essay. Those three are obligatory in order to get a diploma, excluding the fact that you already need to reach 24 points by adding all the 6 subjects+CAS+TOK+EE and those last three are not taken by certificate students, thus leading that even though you get 7 in all 5 subjects you can only get up 35 points and you don't get the diploma, just a bunch of certificates basically saying that you attended lessons during two years and have done your exams, but that you haven't met the requirements to get the full diploma.

No....i am only doing the certificate....
that means i am literally dead
Reply 18
Original post by IBzombie
perhaps if most of those 5 subjects are at higher level?
and you filled your spare time up with work experience...

but it will be harder to get into a high tier uni... I have friends who did IB certificate and are at Blackpool and Preston... but nothing higher than that (though they didn't do 5 subjects)

only 2 of my subjects are at higher
i am not looking high tier uni....
middle ones will be alright...
Reply 19
only 2 of my subjects are at higher
i am not looking high tier uni....
middle ones will be alright...

well I'm afraid I'm not too sure, it would also depend on what your applying for and what subjects are at higher level, plus what points you are predicted

I think some Uni's might accept it though :smile: just email many and see what they say

Latest

Trending

Trending