The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6220
Lol! Can't even beat Montenegro at home? Oh, my England! What has become of thee?
OH dear me...
maryb154
Why is the Fabio still there? In the interview after the game he seemed to just admit to being clueless as to how we could beat them. Can't see someone like Harry R saying that somehow

na, he'd just tell the interviewer to **** off :wink:
The lack of creativity was astounding. :yawn:
I've only just seen highlights, but just from the teamsheet I could tell that Capello played 4-4-2, which is bad enough, but why put Johnson [who is primarily left-footed] on the right with Young [who is right-footed] on the left? That works in a 4-3-3 or variation of that formation, but in a 4-4-2 it just slows down the play and hinders creativity, as they're very liked to want to [understandably] turn back onto their stronger foot, thus giving the defense time to steel themselves in preparation for the cross.

Also, how is SWP still playing international football? Why select him over Lennon?
Capello should have rebuilt the England team after the WC debacle. Start again and try and get the fans behind the new project. By doing what he's doing, the support for the team will change on a game-by-game basis, which is what we've seen in this qualification campaign. This team will not be in a position to challenge for the 2014 WC imo...Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Rio, Barry etc will all be well into their 30s. I'm not saying drop all these guys, but we need to start introducing the younger, fresher, less scarred players to help the England team progress and evolve. Can't be relying on the current senior players and the good ol' 4-4-2

I'd like to see this team lineup, with a youthful back up squad. Rooney on the left of a three, with Walcott or Defoe as the striker. No need for a midfield watercarrier imo- never properly works with England.

Rooney Walcott Johnson
Wilshere Huddlestone Gerrard
Cole Terry Rio Richards
Hart

Kevmeister

Also, how is SWP still playing international football? Why select him over Lennon?

Lennon hasn't been the same player since he came back from his injury tbh. Probably still better than SWP, though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6226
Montenegro did play 10 men behind the ball a lot of the time and barely had a chance. they came for a draw and that's exactly what they got. It was one of those games where England just couldn't break through the Montenegro defence. Maybe the tactics or the players but either way, the team really seems to be stuck when this happens.

Capello is still the man though. Have faith.
Kilnsnnamci
Rooney on the left of a three, with Walcott or Defoe as the striker.

Why Walcott in the middle? I know Rooney currently has the first touch of a leper, but Walcott isn't exactly great at holding the ball up and playing in others. Playing as a wingforward exploits his main asset much more and it would put one of England's best players where it matters most.

Really, really need to bin the 4-4-2 though, and do it now. It's not good enough to say it's the best way through qualification, because that doesn't allow the team to settle into a different system as seen in the WC. Every team that did well had a predetermined, well practised system and roughly stuck to it. There's no motivation for Capello to change the way the national team operates though, as he knows he only has until after the Euros and then his replacement will be arbitrarily English and inevitably return to the same tired, outdated way of thinking.
The WC proved England cannot rely on Rooney for goals so one of Defoe or Bent always need to be playing.
cfc1992
The WC proved England cannot rely on Rooney for goals so one of Defoe or Bent always need to be playing.

Agreed I don't classify him as a sticker anymore thus would prefer both bent and defo to play ie 3 upfront
Panthalic
Why Walcott in the middle? I know Rooney currently has the first touch of a leper, but Walcott isn't exactly great at holding the ball up and playing in others. Playing as a wingforward exploits his main asset much more and it would put one of England's best players where it matters most.

I would want Adam Johnson in the team and he's most dangerous on the right of the 3 imo. He's more likely to get goals from this position (e.g. vs Bulgaria, and practically all his goals for City have come from the right), which is important if you're playing a lone striker in the centre. I would also prefer to see Rooney playing on the left like he did well 2 seasons ago for United.

So that leaves one space open for the striker's position. I would alternate between Defoe and Walcott depending on the opposition. Neither are great hold up players tbh, so they would be in the team for the runs they make and their sharpness in front of goal. Defoe is the more clinical goalscorer and he can probably score a wider variety of goals (e.g. poaches goals and scores a few with his left foot), so I'd pick him for the home games / games we should win. However, imo the 4-3-3 works best when you play on the break, and the team I've picked above could be great at this. Which is why Walcott is there in the middle...he can get at the top teams with his pace, and he does make some good runs every so often. He can also finish quite well in the box. I think he'd be excellent in tandem with Rooney, AJ and Gerrard running from deep on the counter attack.

Really, really need to bin the 4-4-2 though, and do it now. It's not good enough to say it's the best way through qualification, because that doesn't allow the team to settle into a different system as seen in the WC. Every team that did well had a predetermined, well practised system and roughly stuck to it. There's no motivation for Capello to change the way the national team operates though, as he knows he only has until after the Euros and then his replacement will be arbitrarily English and inevitably return to the same tired, outdated way of thinking.

I agree that he has no incentive to change things, but I disagree that an Englishman wouldn't be capable of modernising the way we play. Redknapp will get the job, and he'll do well imo. Whatever people say about him he's still a clever manager and an underrated tactician. The way he's set up a fluid way of playing at Spurs, whether it's 4-4-2 or 4-3-3, and without the holding midfield player, shows he can refresh a squad and instill new life and confidence into them. This is what is needed with England.

This is probably turning into a HR appreciation post, which is not my intention. I'm pretty certain he'll get the England job, partly because he's a popular guy amongst journos and a lot of fans, but also because he's not stuck in his ways and he'll change things for the better imo.
Is Capello really contemplating calling up Jay Bothroyd? :facepalm2:
What strikers are actually fit for France?

Defoe, Rooney and Bent are all out, Heskey is retired - so Crouch, Carroll, Davies, Walcott as the strikers?
Original post by Stu Laverty
What strikers are actually fit for France?

Defoe, Rooney and Bent are all out, Heskey is retired - so Crouch, Carroll, Davies, Walcott as the strikers?

4-3-3 could work, with Walcott right wing, Carroll in the centre and Jarvis/Johnson on the left.
Reply 6234
Wikipedia Jay Bothroyd :teeth:
Yeah, half of the new players won't get a look in for the game. Hopefully Henderson gets a start, or at least 20 minutes.

Carroll might be good, but then again, off field antics :awesome:
Gibbs has made four appearances for Arsenal this season, yet he gets a call-up? :facepalm2:

I wouldn't want Jay Bothroyd playing for Ireland, nevermind one of the pre-eminent football teams in the history of the game. As for Henderson, Capello would've been better off calling up McEachran [?] from Chelsea.
McEachran elligible for England?
Yeah, well Gibbs so he can sub off Cole.
Apparently he is..... unless there's some age restriction I don't know of.
I thought he was Irish or summat.

Latest