The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eve_bg
I don't even live in the UK, generally my country is many times cheaper compared to the UK, but London is just too much lol! Yeah I know I will probably find a better paid job in London, but I have absolutely NO idea how I could support myself while studying there - the accommodation, the food, everything is so expensive:frown:
But it's great you live there, that's like a dream come true:smile: If I were you I wouldn't want to leave it either!

I've lived here all my life too and kinda don't want to leave. I've applied to 2 London Unis. Anyway, although it's quite expensive there are so many cheap things in London. For example eating out there are so many websites where you can get 50% off vouchers for popular restaurants and there are always cheap ways to buy food. The supermarkets are actually really cheap. I went to Paris last month and London is a lot cheaper than there! Also in the paper recently it actually said that it's cheaper to live in London than a lot of other parts of England...
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 941
Original post by blahblah16
I've lived here all my life too and kinda don't want to leave. I've applied to 2 London Unis. Anyway, although it's quite expensive there are so many cheap things in London. For example eating out there are so many websites where you can get 50% off vouchers for popular restaurants and there are always cheap ways to buy food. The supermarkets are actually really cheap. I went to Paris last month and London is a lot cheaper than there! Also in the paper recently it actually said that it's cheaper to live in London than a lot of other parts of England...

Yes I guess if you live there you would know how to eat cheaply (I personally enjoyed the All You Can Eat for .. 6 Pounds somewhere (!?)) But accommodation at UCL is still quite more expensive compared to other unis' acommodation and you'll have to give tonnes of money for travelling to uni unless you live very near etc. Oh and I've heard that Bath is quite expensive as well, isn't it ? (nearly as expensive as London?)
Original post by eve_bg
Yes I guess if you live there you would know how to eat cheaply (I personally enjoyed the All You Can Eat for .. 6 Pounds somewhere (!?)) But accommodation at UCL is still quite more expensive compared to other unis' acommodation and you'll have to give tonnes of money for travelling to uni unless you live very near etc. Oh and I've heard that Bath is quite expensive as well, isn't it ? (nearly as expensive as London?)

Well at UCL there are loads of different options. You give them your budget and then they find you somewhere that fits with your budget. Oxford is about the same price for accommodation I'm sure. I wouldn't want to live at home though even though I live quite centrally in London because it's not the same being at Uni and living at home
Reply 943
ah!!! The wait is driving me insane!!!! Has anyone been offered a place to study biomedical sciences?
Original post by Cloomin
I've not heard anything yet, no! This is what it says on their website;

: The application form can be downloaded via a link in the middle of this page. Scroll down to 'Application Process' and click on UCL Application Form

We are now accepting entry for September 2011 start. There will be three deadlines for applications for 2011 entry. After each deadline we will assess applications and invite students for interview. The schedule for deadlines and the interview dates for each deadline are as follows. (You are encouraged to apply as early as possible, as the competition for places is very strong.)

1st deadline*: 4pm, 22nd November 2010
Interviews: 13th & 14th January 2011
2nd deadline*: 4pm, 14th February 2011
Interviews: 10th & 11th March 2011
3rd deadline*: 4pm, 11th April 2011
Interviews: 18th & 19th May 2010

Have you heard from any of your other choices?

oh. no. you're kidding me.... i've already applied- so before the first deadline and i have a History exam the 13th of January..... oh. well, maybe i wont even get an interview
Original post by manthew
Nein.
However, have they started out giving interview invitations yet? I'm an international applicant, I think I'll be expecting to receive a questionnaires or some sorts... Gosh I hate the waits :mad:

someone on here just posted when the interviews are and the first set is the 13th or 14th of January.... don't know what the situation is for international students. sorry. Good luck though. :smile:
Original post by blahblah16

Yeah, I agree. I recently moved down to Surrey after being up North for all my life and while I was initially shocked at how much stuff like the cinema cost (twice as much!!!) in London there's actually loads of interesting stuff to do for free or cheap.
Reply 947
"Dear *****,

I am writing to inform you that the College has recieved your UCAS application and after carefully considering it, I am pleased to tell you that I have recommended to the Faculty Tutor that you are offered a place in the Department of Chemical Engineering. In line with the college policy, the actual details of the offer listing any conditions attached will be sent by the Engineering Faculty Office and you should recieve that in about a month time.

Please note that this is just an informal letter written to let you know what is happening at this stage of your application. The Faculty Tutor's Office will continue to process your application and will update the status of your application on UCAS track as soon as they are able to."

What ever this means, I got one of these. :erm:
Original post by -beads-
"Dear *****,

I am writing to inform you that the College has recieved your UCAS application and after carefully considering it, I am pleased to tell you that I have recommended to the Faculty Tutor that you are offered a place in the Department of Chemical Engineering. In line with the college policy, the actual details of the offer listing any conditions attached will be sent by the Engineering Faculty Office and you should recieve that in about a month time.

Please note that this is just an informal letter written to let you know what is happening at this stage of your application. The Faculty Tutor's Office will continue to process your application and will update the status of your application on UCAS track as soon as they are able to."

What ever this means, I got one of these. :erm:

I think you're gonna get an offer but they haven't decided what it is yet :smile:
Original post by fredbol
hey erm gcses were 10a*s 3as got 7As at AS and predicted like 5A*s and 2As at A2

Wow! I'm not surprised you got an early offer then!
Reply 950
Original post by Cloomin
I've not heard anything yet, no! This is what it says on their website;

: The application form can be downloaded via a link in the middle of this page. Scroll down to 'Application Process' and click on UCL Application Form

We are now accepting entry for September 2011 start. There will be three deadlines for applications for 2011 entry. After each deadline we will assess applications and invite students for interview. The schedule for deadlines and the interview dates for each deadline are as follows. (You are en...

Since when do we need an application form O.O are you sure this isn't for postgraduate? Have you got the link to the website?
Reply 951
Original post by BeritV
I got invited for an assessment day on 9th February..
But depends on when you applied?

Cool! Do you know what percentage get invited to these by any chance? I can't find it anywhere on the net!
Is anyone else applying for Classics related subjects - how did you find the questionnaire? I think I did quite well, annoying we won't hear till late march :s-smilie:
Original post by manthew
Since when do we need an application form O.O are you sure this isn't for postgraduate? Have you got the link to the website?

If you google the quote it's form UCL secret medical school or something... nothing to do with us.
I got an invitation to a physics & astronomy interview day :biggrin: Just arrived this morning.

VERY HAPPY, considering PAT was a bit of a nightmare, and probs won't get an Oxford interview :smile: so YAYY.
Original post by summer_blazed
I got an invitation to a physics & astronomy interview day :biggrin: Just arrived this morning.

VERY HAPPY, considering PAT was a bit of a nightmare, and probs won't get an Oxford interview :smile: so YAYY.

Congrats and good luck for the interview! :biggrin:

I applied for theoretical physics, they've only acknowledged me so far I'm hoping to hear from them pretty soon. When is your interview day if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 956
Original post by miaow2010
Cool! Do you know what percentage get invited to these by any chance? I can't find it anywhere on the net!

Last year 450 applied and 200 got interview, if I remember correctly
Any Linguistics offers yet??
Original post by hannahmoore92
Any Linguistics offers yet??

Lol I just came over here to ask that!!

When did you get your Newcastle offer??
Reply 959
Just got an email saying they are making me an offer without interview :woo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending