The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Today was a bit of a nightmare. It still feels very disorganised and I was sent from person to person, to person to person just to get my payslip and clocking in number. Then there was an argument over my leave - I had to put my foot down, as it were, with one day but had to give up the others I wanted. :/

We were stacking shelves and stuff, ready for the store opening. However, the main delivery didn't come in until 6pm, so for hours before that there were like 100 staff just scrambling to put out a few rollers. Then when the delivery did arrive, a lot of the staff had finished their shifts and gone. At one stage, there was literally 5 of us on the shop floor putting roller and roller out - when we went upstairs to get a quick drink, we found another 10 people who should have been working [they'd already had their breaks, same as us] - they had been sat there for an hour! Urgh. It is all a little bit annoying. Will be very happy once we are serving customers again. :biggrin:
Reply 6721
Original post by inksplodge
how did you break it?

someone on our shift broke his ankle, out of work for 7 weeks. got statutory sick pay only. until the doctor signs you fit to work you won't be allowed to work.

Playing football with my dog :L I've just been on the direct gov website and it says you have to have average weekly pay of £97 so will I not be eligible for anything?
I may have to wear the cast thing for 3 months :frown:
Original post by Katie-27
Playing football with my dog :L I've just been on the direct gov website and it says you have to have average weekly pay of £97 so will I not be eligible for anything?
I may have to wear the cast thing for 3 months :frown:

how much do u usually make a week?

as an aside, a guy in my department had a serious injury and they adapted his role to GA (doing any odd jobs he could manage in our dept) til he was better... i am sure they can do something with you so you are still able to go in and earn ur money, even if its something in the admin... or if you can sit down on check out all day and are willing to do that im sure it would be ok? id speak to my manager and HR and tell them i need to still come in for the money and i think they will find something you can do. happy healing :redface:
Reply 6723
ok i had literally 1 hour till training then was put on to serve customers
and I swear they are meant to stay with you first, but they didnt

ok I have this question (I admit it was a bad call from my part) a guy came in with his daughter (btw this was meant to be my training today but ended up being 1st shift) and he had alcohol, he was with his daughter who looked 20 to me so you know under 25, wanted to see her ID...and guy got toucby saying she is my daughter she is only 14 (wow sure looked 20)

he got pissed! and he is like I wanna speak to your manager, Im like fine..but the cashier captain comes (who btw was giving me dirty looks before and got a feeling she dislikes me lol) she came gave overrode my decision and sold the alcohol...

Okay maybe I shouldnt of ID'd his daugther as he was like 50ish and it was one alcohol wine bottle..but I dunno...argh like I said only 1hr till training and chucked in the deep end..I was inducted in a diff store to the one I work in..and no one showed me the fire doors, fire point nothing! Grrr

so what do you guys think? Any advice on when to proxy sale?

Also you see you can add nectar points when a customer reuses a bag? Is it only sainsbury bags?
Reply 6724
Grr any help on memorizing the PLU group lol
Right need your opinions on this one folks, would you have did the same thing as me?

Now just as a bit of background I've been told by the Team Leaders that I'm doing very well at Sainsbury's and I am one of their key members. I work in basically a glorified Local. Not quite big enough to be a proper supermarket yet not quite small enough to be considered convenience. I basically run self-scans and supervise all 10 on a regular basis and would like to think that I know what I am doing and just keep the head down and get on with it.

Today I did an 8-12 as overtime and it was fairly quiet until half 11 as you'd expect. Everything was going fairly well and I was running the self-scan as normal. Then with about 20 minutes to go this woman with a suit and Sainsbury's name badge came down and started looking at all of us. I have no idea who she was but can only assume she was some Area Manager or something? You know the type. She is her job, business-driven etc etc.
I've never met her before and she immediately dismissed me as a lowly checkout member who hasn't a clue what they're doing. The tannoy came over saying all available colleagues to checkouts and we weren't even that busy to be honest. Everybody started stepping on each others toes saying do this do that when they don't actually work on tills.

She came up to me and stood quietly for a moment. Then she said all matter-of-factly: "We have a 59% target for customers going through self-scan and there are 3 at the machines yet several customers at the checkouts..."
I replied: "And the majority of them have trolleys." (Valid point)
Woman: "There are some baskets too."
Me: "And there are even more trolleys." (Valid point)
To be fair at this point I started taking the pee and wasn't really interested in her business nonsense. She came across as very arrogant and the type that tells everybody what to do but has never actually worked a shift on the shop floor. I have no time for people like that and proceeded to ignore her and just got on with my job as quite frankly she was distracting me from my work.

She told me to go and run the line and bring people down however the majority of our customers are the elderly so don't want to use self-scans. I asked a customer in front of this woman who said she wanted cashback - fair enough.
I went back to my position and said sarcastically: "No she wants cashback."
She then said go and do it again to which I replied: "Then there is nobody to supervise the self-scans so no." Which I believe is a very valid point as by this time they started filling up.
I just ignored her for the next 10 minutes, doing my job as normal until my shift was up. I walked past with a big smirk on my face just to annoy her.

This character, whoever she was, really irritated me today. She just appeared out of nowhere and all of a sudden staff were acting like trained monkeys, jumping at her every command. What would you have did in this situation?
Original post by tosh999

ok I have this question (I admit it was a bad call from my part) a guy came in with his daughter (btw this was meant to be my training today but ended up being 1st shift) and he had alcohol, he was with his daughter who looked 20 to me so you know under 25, wanted to see her ID...and guy got toucby saying she is my daughter she is only 14 (wow sure looked 20)

he got pissed! and he is like I wanna speak to your manager, Im like fine..but the cashier captain comes (who btw was giving me dirty looks before and got a feeling she dislikes me lol) she came gave overrode my decision and sold the alcohol...
No need to i.d. adult is there

Okay maybe I shouldnt of ID'd his daugther as he was like 50ish and it was one alcohol wine bottle..but I dunno...argh like I said only 1hr till training and chucked in the deep end..I was inducted in a diff store to the one I work in..and no one showed me the fire doors, fire point nothing! Grrr

Also you see you can add nectar points when a customer reuses a bag? Is it only sainsbury bags?
It's reusing a bag so yes.

It'll come with time don't worry about PLU groups or anything like that. Just focus on getting the first few shifts under your belt and then you'll get the hang of how everything works.
Reply 6727
Original post by Schumacher
Right need your opinions on this one folks, would you have did the same thing as me?

Now just as a bit of background I've been told by the Team Leaders that I'm doing very well at Sainsbury's and I am one of their key members. I work in basically a glorified Local. Not quite big enough to be a proper supermarket yet not quite small enough to be considered convenience. I basically run self-scans and supervise all 10 on a regular basis and would like to think that I know what I am doing and just keep the head down and get on with it.

Today I did an 8-12 as overtime and it was fairly quiet until half 11 as you'd expect. Everything was going fairly well and I was running the self-scan as normal. Then with about 20 minutes to go this woman with a suit and Sainsbury's name badge came down and started looking at all of us. I have no idea who she was but can only assume she was some Area Manager or something? You know the type. She is her job, business-driven etc etc.
I've never met her before and she immediately dismissed me as a lowly checkout member who hasn't a clue what they're doing. The tannoy came over saying all available colleagues to checkouts and we weren't even that busy to be honest. Everybody started stepping on each others toes saying do this do that when they don't actually work on tills.

She came up to me and stood quietly for a moment. Then she said all matter-of-factly: "We have a 59% target for customers going through self-scan and there are 3 at the machines yet several customers at the checkouts..."
I replied: "And the majority of them have trolleys." (Valid point)
Woman: "There are some baskets too."
Me: "And there are even more trolleys." (Valid point)
To be fair at this point I started taking the pee and wasn't really interested in her business nonsense. She came across as very arrogant and the type that tells everybody what to do but has never actually worked a shift on the shop floor. I have no time for people like that and proceeded to ignore her and just got on with my job as quite frankly she was distracting me from my work.

She told me to go and run the line and bring people down however the majority of our customers are the elderly so don't want to use self-scans. I asked a customer in front of this woman who said she wanted cashback - fair enough.
I went back to my position and said sarcastically: "No she wants cashback."
She then said go and do it again to which I replied: "Then there is nobody to supervise the self-scans so no." Which I believe is a very valid point as by this time they started filling up.
I just ignored her for the next 10 minutes, doing my job as normal until my shift was up. I walked past with a big smirk on my face just to annoy her.

This character, whoever she was, really irritated me today. She just appeared out of nowhere and all of a sudden staff were acting like trained monkeys, jumping at her every command. What would you have did in this situation?

All valid
I had an interview today. They said they'd interview two people and then give the job to one of the two people. The other guy didn't turn up. Does that mean I've got the job? :tongue:
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
I had an interview today. They said they'd interview two people and then give the job to one of the two people. The other guy didn't turn up. Does that mean I've got the job? :tongue:

Don't count on it yet they might just re-advertise it.
I see you're also unlucky enough to be from Glasgow as well, I wonder if it was for my store as we're recruiting :tongue:
Original post by inksplodge
replenishment is easy as pie :tongue:

i am not baler trained. we have maybe three or four people left on shift that are, everyone else left =/ i know how to move it and that but i don't know how to extract bales.

My 'final' shift was a bit odd.... was on checkouts the whole time. No exit interview, cheerily said goodbye just like a normal shift... bit ominous :s-smilie:
Don't count on it yet they might just re-advertise it.
I see you're also unlucky enough to be from Glasgow as well, I wonder if it was for my store as we're recruiting :tongue:

:ninja: Which one is your store?
Original post by ArcadiaHouse
:ninja: Which one is your store?

A well-known shopping centre just outwith Glasgow :tongue:
Original post by screenager2004
My 'final' shift was a bit odd.... was on checkouts the whole time. No exit interview, cheerily said goodbye just like a normal shift... bit ominous :s-smilie:

When I left PC World, I did a full day's work as normal dealing with all sorts of customer queries and transactions. I helped 'face off' - to do with product displays - before leaving and then just signed out, was searched as normal and then said 'goodbye'. That was it. Are you meant to have an interview at Sainsbury's? Otherwise, I would expect it to be just like any other shift, especially when you haven't been there so long. :smile:
I'm just starting out on tills my christma present would be to get moved to replenishment
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by tosh999

- Yeah dont bother ID'ing someone if theyre with their parents, we had it on our checkout newsletter this month saying you shouldnt as a few did what you did and people moaned lol.

- Any for bags its any bags
A well-known shopping centre just outwith Glasgow :tongue:

Ah. Not mine, then. :tongue: (Well it might be mine).
Original post by tosh999

I was like that on my first shift, kept IDing almost everyone and it was Think 21 back then. Soon got used to it though. I wouldn't ID someone with their parents. We did have one occasion when some girls had persuaded an older man to buy alcohol for them, they were seen choosing the alcohol and putting it in the basket but a supervisor stepped in and stopped the sale. If they hadn't then the cashier still wouldn't have got in trouble as they weren't to know.
the more i read this thread the more i get confused.

to the person whose last shift it was.. glad it all went okay n you didnt get stuck doing something yu didnt know. nobody who has left during my time there has had a farewell interview or anything and seem to just leave as if its any other day, only diff being they dont come back. lol.

regarding ID, we were told in induction that we had to ID anyone if it looked like they were buying alcohol for the teen :s-smilie: so with regard this situation with tosh999 i woulda been confused too.. if i thought she could be under 18 (which she was even if she looked 20) and was with her dad, how do we know hes not buying it for her.. i get very confused on this subject cos its all so grey.. if the person buying it is old enough, we can refuse them if we have reason to believe it is for someone younger... i totally understand why tosh999 did ID but its a bad situation on ur first shift dude.. and sorry ur checkout captain is throwing you shade.. mine is the same.. she doesnt like anyone, lol.
Reply 6739
yeah thanks guys :smile:

okay few more silly questions if you dont mind

1) If a guy comes in with his gf to buy alcohol even if its one can of fosters or something..and he is the one purchasing it and looks under 25, I know I gotta ID him but what about his gf?
And just say he looked over 25 but his gf didnt do I ID the gf in that situation as well?

2) Even if someone buys a 12A dvd or 15 and they clearly are over that age limit but look under 25 DO I STILL ID THEM?

3) Proxy sale only applied to alcohol right?

4) How do you check how many points someone on the nectar has?

5) If you served someone and they went and came back a minute later with the reciept and their change in their hand and said you gave them a dodgey pound coin (which btw is dodgey) to you swap it or tell em to go to CSD? or what?

6)how do u put money on gift cards

7)just say you press enter which takes you to tender mode how do you get back to normal

8) if a customer asks is this on offer (say buy 1 get 1 free) how do I check

FINAL Q..how do you do price enquiry
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending