The Student Room Group

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2

Scroll to see replies

I will be watching this at half 9 on Friday morning. Just putting that out there :pierre:
Reply 221
Original post by marshyfluff
Of course the films will be remembered five years from now. Harry Potter is one of the biggest franchises of all time and you really think that in five years time people will not be watching the films? Sorry, but that's ludicrous. Most fans really enjoy the films and so do a lot of people who haven't read the books - the box office figures and audience reaction ratings say that alone. I don't think you should be attaching your own view to the whole population.

If they are remembered, it will generally be with a disappointed inflection. With the material they had at their disposal, the films could have been genuinely excellent. Instead they're definitively mediocre. They're soaked in cheap and superficial swill.

And since Warner Bros. own the exclusive rights to the films, no one apart from them will be remaking the films... which is highly unlikely indeed. Rereleasing them all in the future I can see, but remaking? No.

If that's true, it's a real shame.
Reply 222
why on earth are people even thinking of remakin the films anyways?! the last one hasn't even been released.. for all you kno, it might actually be good, and if you are lucky, you might even orgasm half way durin the film!
Reply 223
Original post by Pedus
why on earth are people even thinking of remakin the films anyways?! the last one hasn't even been released.. for all you kno, it might actually be good, and if you are lucky, you might even orgasm half way durin the film!

It might be good. But in general it's been a disappointing run of films. Well, when compared to the book series anyway.
Original post by Pedus

Nope, they are being converted to 3D.
Reply 225
Original post by Madjackismad
Nope, they are being converted to 3D.

is it!?!!? :drool:
Reply 226
So frickin excited!
Reply 227
I'm watching on the 17th!!! Sorry Mateyss
Reply 228
Original post by Tyrannosaurus Cal
There'll also be loads of sex and violence too, but they might have to be in the adult versions.

LOL
sounds like you're gonna do to harry potter what true blood did to twilight :biggrin:
Reply 229
booked tickets for friday evening, then realised i'm seeing ellie goulding then :biggrin: so changed it to saturday. looks to fun an amazing weekend!!!!!!!!!

on another note, has anyone seen what emma watson has done to her hair!??!?!?!
Original post by Kinkerz
It might be good. But in general it's been a disappointing run of films. Well, when compared to the book series anyway.

Films are generally disappointing in comparison to the books they're based on. But in my opinion, this was the best Harry Potter film to date. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and managed to sit through the whole thing with out getting bored (and I usually get bored about an hour into every film I watch).

Of course the films will be remembered five years from now. Harry Potter is one of the biggest franchises of all time and you really think that in five years time people will not be watching the films? Sorry, but that's ludicrous. Most fans really enjoy the films and so do a lot of people who haven't read the books - the box office figures and audience reaction ratings say that alone. I don't think you should be attaching your own view to the whole population.

And since Warner Bros. own the exclusive rights to the films, no one apart from them will be remaking the films... which is highly unlikely indeed. Rereleasing them all in the future I can see, but remaking? No.

The size of something doesn't translate to it's staying power. Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time and I'm pretty confident that won't be remembered 10 years from now either. The films are simply not that good, and once our generation grows out of the target audience range (as a lot of sales and hysteria come from nostalgia) then people will revert to the books as the way to be introduced to HP.

As for WB owning exclusive rights, as present you are correct. But intellectual property is transferred in Hollywood as often as films are made. In 20 years time if the films prove not to be continued successes, who's to say what might happen to the rights?
Reply 232
Got tickets for December..

...But its at the Imax :biggrin:
tickets for fridayy <3 :biggrin:
Original post by halii_94
tickets for fridayy <3 :biggrin:

Same. :five:

Taking into account average ticket prices, Avatar would actually be at around number 14 in the box office charts. Avatar grossed around $2.8 billion at the box office. In 2007, the Harry Potter brand was worth more than $15 billion. That's besides the point anyway, as Harry Potter is hugely different from Avatar - the latter was promoted as the big introduction to 3D and something that people rushed out to see because of it. The former is a hugely loved series that has been around since 1997, adored by many worldwide.

Most are not being introduced to Harry Potter through the films, but they are there to compliment the books and to be seen alongside the novel. I believe that is how the majority are consuming them. In the future I believe people will still be reading the books and those interested will then seek out the movie to watch.

I'm struggling to follow your logic here. You say Avatar was mainly watched because of it's technology, whereas Harry Potter films are loved by a lot of people and it is for this reason that they'll stick around.

But if we look at IMDB ratings (which are probably the most accurate way of surveying general opinion on a film) Avatar has a score of 8.3, whereas the Harry Potter films vary between 7.1 and 7.7, suggesting that they aren't particularly highly rated by as many people as you claim.
Just booked tickets for Friday... practically sold out now :redface:
Damn, I need to book tickets quick. I want to see it again ASAP, it was soo good :smile:
Original post by KingMessi
Same. :five:

:woo:
Reply 239
Original post by halii_94
:woo:

Goodnight and good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest