The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6740
I don't work at Sainsburys but I'd only ID the person buying the alcohol - that's all you need to do to cover yourself. Just ask who is paying when you put it through, and under 18s can still drink alcohol with their parents/at home anyway.
Original post by tosh999
yeah thanks guys :smile:

okay few more silly questions if you dont mind

1) If a guy comes in with his gf to buy alcohol even if its one can of fosters or something..and he is the one purchasing it and looks under 25, I know I gotta ID him but what about his gf?
And just say he looked over 25 but his gf didnt do I ID the gf in that situation as well?
Our trainer said you should. She said you should ID everyone there when you make the sale - so if it is a group, you ID all of them, and presumably the same applies to a couple. Most people won't mind and if they are over 18, it shouldn't cause any problems anyway. There is no harm in covering yourself.

2) Even if someone buys a 12A dvd or 15 and they clearly are over that age limit but look under 25 DO I STILL ID THEM?
We were not told to do so. Our trainer implied to check if it is an 18, just like you would with booze and stuff, but if they are clearly over 12/15, I probably wouldn't.

3) Proxy sale only applied to alcohol right?

4) How do you check how many points someone on the nectar has?
I know the receipt will tell the customer. You can also see a rough estimate with the 'instant reward' payment option, which tells you how many lots of £2.50 [500 points] the customer has. I'm not sure if there is another way. We were never shown if so.

5) If you served someone and they went and came back a minute later with the reciept and their change in their hand and said you gave them a dodgey pound coin (which btw is dodgey) to you swap it or tell em to go to CSD? or what?

6)how do u put money on gift cards

7)just say you press enter which takes you to tender mode how do you get back to normal
You can clear on the till, which takes you back.

8) if a customer asks is this on offer (say buy 1 get 1 free) how do I check
I'm not sure. Sometimes it goes through the system when you are scanning the items. Other offers don't show up until you get to the payment screen. I was just told to check on the payment screen, so I don't know if there is another way. :smile:

FINAL Q..how do you do price enquiry
There is a 'price enquiry' button on the till. Press it, scan the item and it brings up the price. You then select whether to add it to the bill/start a transaction or not.

My opinion on a few. :smile:
Reply 6742
Original post by affinity89

Our trainer said you should. She said you should ID everyone there when you make the sale - so if it is a group, you ID all of them, and presumably the same applies to a couple. Most people won't mind and if they are over 18, it shouldn't cause any problems anyway. There is no harm in covering yourself.

That's really ridiculous, do you actually do that?
Original post by 257532

That's really ridiculous, do you actually do that?

Why is it ridiculous? If there is a group of young people, who look under 25, of course you ID them all. I've done it a few times and most people who shop at Sainsbury's a lot expect it - I had a lot who already had their IDs ready when they got to the till. It is what the other staff I work with do as well. :smile:
Original post by tosh999

okay few more silly questions if you dont mind

1) If a guy comes in with his gf to buy alcohol even if its one can of fosters or something..and he is the one purchasing it and looks under 25, I know I gotta ID him but what about his gf?
And just say he looked over 25 but his gf didnt do I ID the gf in that situation as well?

2) Even if someone buys a 12A dvd or 15 and they clearly are over that age limit but look under 25 DO I STILL ID THEM?

3) Proxy sale only applied to alcohol right?

4) How do you check how many points someone on the nectar has?

5) If you served someone and they went and came back a minute later with the reciept and their change in their hand and said you gave them a dodgey pound coin (which btw is dodgey) to you swap it or tell em to go to CSD? or what?

6)how do u put money on gift cards

7)just say you press enter which takes you to tender mode how do you get back to normal

8) if a customer asks is this on offer (say buy 1 get 1 free) how do I check

FINAL Q..how do you do price enquiry

What Affinity said.

With regards to your DVD question. Think 25 is there to help you. Mostly when something is 18 restricted, because in some cases it can be really hard to tell. Therefore to make it easier, they say if someone looks under 25 ID them, to be certain your not selling to someone underage. Obviously if it's a 12A DVD, you wouldn't ID someone who looks about twenty. That would be absurd. You need to use your common sense.
Reply 6745
Why is it ridiculous? If there is a group of young people, who look under 25, of course you ID them all. I've done it a few times and most people who shop at Sainsbury's a lot expect it - I had a lot who already had their IDs ready when they got to the till. It is what the other staff I work with do as well. :smile:

First of all "of course you ID them all" isn't an "of course" situation at all, all you legally have to do is ID the person who purchased the alcohol. If that's your stores policy that's fine but I wouldn't ID every person in the group, only the person shopping. And secondly you've changed the situation - what I said was ridiculous was ID'ing everyone in a group but you've just posted specifically about a group of people who all look under 25. My post was in light of the person who ID'd somebody with their parent when the parent was paying.
Original post by 257532
First of all "of course you ID them all" isn't an "of course" situation at all, all you legally have to do is ID the person who purchased the alcohol. If that's your stores policy that's fine but I wouldn't ID every person in the group, only the person shopping. And secondly you've changed the situation - what I said was ridiculous was ID'ing everyone in a group but you've just posted specifically about a group of people who all look under 25. My post was in light of the person who ID'd somebody with their parent when the parent was paying.

Actually it's illegal to knowingly sell to someone who is going to supply minors. So by law, you should ID everyone and the situation was a young couple. In which case, yes, you would ID both of them.
Reply 6747
Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
Actually it's illegal to knowingly sell to someone who is going to supply minors. So by law, you should ID everyone and the situation was a young couple. In which case, yes, you would ID both of them.

No this was the situation originally posted by tosh and the one which I was referring to: "a guy came in with his daughter (btw this was meant to be my training today but ended up being 1st shift) and he had alcohol, he was with his daughter who looked 20 to me so you know under 25, wanted to see her ID...and guy got toucby saying she is my daughter she is only 14 (wow sure looked 20)"

I wouldn't serve someone who is obviously going to supply minors but it is rarely going to be obvious. The point is as a cashier you don't know and therefore aren't responsible - if somebody else in the shop sees this is happening it's then their job to inform the cashiers. By law you do NOT need to ID everyone.

But at the end of the day it's your neck on the line so do what you're happy with.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by 257532

As TLDoD said:

I was responding to a different post about a couple, not about a father/daughter.

Original post by 257532
No this was the situation originally posted by tosh and the one which I was referring to: "a guy came in with his daughter (btw this was meant to be my training today but ended up being 1st shift) and he had alcohol, he was with his daughter who looked 20 to me so you know under 25, wanted to see her ID...and guy got toucby saying she is my daughter she is only 14 (wow sure looked 20)"

I wouldn't serve someone who is obviously going to supply minors but it is rarely going to be obvious. The point is as a cashier you don't know and therefore aren't responsible - if somebody else in the shop sees this is happening it's then their job to inform the cashiers. By law you do NOT need to ID everyone.

But at the end of the day it's your neck on the line so do what you're happy with.

That is the main thing. You just have to cover yourself. If you personally don't want to ID a group, that is up to you. However, I do, as to the rest of the staff at my store. Better to be safe than sorry, as they say. IDing people hardly takes a long time and, so long as you are polite, it shouldn't cause any offense etc to the customers. :smile:
Original post by 257532

Yeah, with the father/daughter situation I wouldn't ID them, in that situation, I agree it's not really your responsibility. But with a couple, or particularly a group of young people, then by law you do need to ID them all, regardless of who is paying.
Reply 6750
As TLDoD said:

I was responding to a different post about a couple, not about a father/daughter.

That is the main thing. You just have to cover yourself. If you personally don't want to ID a group, that is up to you. However, I do, as to the rest of the staff at my store. Better to be safe than sorry, as they say. IDing people hardly takes a long time and, so long as you are polite, it shouldn't cause any offense etc to the customers. :smile:

Not sure if there's much point in taking this any further but just to clarify, the thing i found ridiculous was this "She said you should ID everyone there when you make the sale - so if it is a group, you ID all of them, and presumably the same applies to a couple". I know it was in response to the post about the girflfriend looking under 25, but it was a blanket claim that didn't include any space for common sense/where to draw the line e.g. children part of a family group.
Reply 6751
Yeah, with the father/daughter situation I wouldn't ID them, in that situation, I agree it's not really your responsibility. But with a couple, or particularly a group of young people, then by law you do need to ID them all, regardless of who is paying.

I think I am actually going to check this at work now. I wonder if asking them to confirm that the alchohol is going to be consumed by people only over 18 will be enough to cover yourself.
Reply 6752

as I stated before I do think it was a bad call from me to ID the parent..but thats life you make mistakes and learn

and again thanks for all the help, really appreciate it
Original post by tosh999

as I stated before I do think it was a bad call from me to ID the parent..but thats life you make mistakes and learn

and again thanks for all the help, really appreciate it

We all do it, on my first shift I ID'd someone who was 39. I was really embarrassed, but she found it really funny :smile: And I charged a couple £40 for a loaf of bread today :colondollar:
Im in tonight to put all the xmas decoration ups, weve not got a ceiling so dont know what were going to do.
Reply 6755
Original post by xangelinax
Im in tonight to put all the xmas decoration ups, weve not got a ceiling so dont know what were going to do.

Hang them from very long wires :p:
Reply 6756
Original post by kirsty142
We all do it, on my first shift I ID'd someone who was 39. I was really embarrassed, but she found it really funny :smile: And I charged a couple £40 for a loaf of bread today :colondollar:

Now how did that happen lol? :yep::biggrin:
Reply 6757

thanks a lot +rep
Original post by Jack_1919
dunno.. i asked this at my induction and im still not clear on y :confused:
cos i get ID'd in sainsburys myself when i buy a PG dvd :confused:

im not going to bother im sure you dont have to be over a certain age to buy a U dvd
Original post by tosh999
Now how did that happen lol? :yep::biggrin:

Came up as £40 on the till for some strange reason and I didn't notice :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending