The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by hannahmoore92
Haha! They're the best ones for our course, I think! :smile: How are you feeling about Cambridge? I thought it might be a little less intense for Linguistics but I'm nervous as hell.
I'm on a gap year now, so my Newcastle offer was unconditional which is maybe why I got a reply so fast.

i think its as intense as anything else! linguistics gets more popular every year :s-smilie:
for 2010 entry, King's Cambridge had 18 applicants and admitted 3. ouch.
i'm so scared for the interview, i'm not sure what they want us to know for it at all, especially as its so different from A level subjects my teachers can't give much helpful advice :rolleyes:

aha, sounds fair to me :smile: at the open day newcastle said they offered a place to ANY applicant with adequate predicted grades and just sent the lot out after the jan deadline... kinda glad to have that back-up!

what grades did you get for A level? fancy sharing personal statements via PM for a bit of encouragement/reassurance? (i'm the only one applying from my school. been waiting for TSRers to send their apps for AGES so i can ask what everyone writes for ling.! no worries if you don't want to though :tongue: )
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by frequent_flyer
Thankyou! I don't think GCSEs matter much in this case though, UCL have a rep for not caring too much about them. I sent mine in on October the 11th and got the questionnaire on tuesday, I think they send them out in batches though and not everybody gets one. Good luck!

I sent mine in the 30th September.. looks like I'm screwed :frown: It says on the website that every 'worthy' applicant gets a questionnaire. I suppose that you could be just great and get an interview straight away, but I'm 'run of the mill' so meh, you know. I don't know what to think tbh!
Original post by xbabycakes
I sent mine in the 30th September.. looks like I'm screwed :frown: It says on the website that every 'worthy' applicant gets a questionnaire. I suppose that you could be just great and get an interview straight away, but I'm 'run of the mill' so meh, you know. I don't know what to think tbh!

when did u get ur questionnaire and was it for psych
What questionare? I've applied to UCL and have not seen such a thing! :p:
Original post by xbabycakes

Well you're lucky to have got anything! I've probably been placed straight on the reject pile... But I think it's the language dept being slow cos none of the people I know applying to UCL for languages have heard anything yet...
I've applied for Philosophy and all I've had is a confirmation email...

Have any of the V500 applicants had any news?
Reply 1006
Original post by Juvenal

No, nothing yet other than the acknowledgement.
Reply 1007
Original post by Cloomin
I third that. Where else are both of you applying? :smile:

Cambridge, UCL, KCL, Warwick and I already have an offer from Sussex :smile: You?
Reply 1008
Original post by Wannalearn
What questionare? I've applied to UCL and have not seen such a thing! :p:

Not every department requires its applicants to answer questions before they give offers or interview invitations. I don't know what's the case with the department you are applying to, but you certainly would have heard something about a questionnaire if you they sent one to applicants. :biggrin:

In addition, international applicants like me get questionnaires because we aren't required to attend an interview. :smile:
Reply 1009
Original post by Cloomin
Wow, the same except rather than Warwick I went for St Andrews, but it was certainly a choice between the two. I've got an offer from Sussex too, are you going to go to any of the open days? I've not heard anything back from Cambridge, I'm not sure whether they send interview invites in order of college, subject, or what, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow. What college have you applied to, and do you have an interview? Well that was a bit lengthy, haha!

Haha, yeah that is really coincidental, you obviously have very good taste! No interview invite yet (King's) but hopefully that will have changed by the end of this week, I'm pretty sure they do it by college judging from what I've seen on TSR but I'm no expert. What are your grades like and which is your second choice (I'm assuming after Cambridge)?
Original post by blahblah16
Well you're lucky to have got anything! I've probably been placed straight on the reject pile... But I think it's the language dept being slow cos none of the people I know applying to UCL for languages have heard anything yet...

I haven't got anything? :s-smilie: I meant I sent my application in on 30th September and haven't heard anything since. Therefore I'm probably on the reject pile too :P x
Original post by LadyTee20
when did u get ur questionnaire and was it for psych

I haven't got a questionnaire :confused: I meant I sent my application in on the 30th of September and haven't heard anything since.
Original post by dorian gray
Applied for Politics & East European Studies; received an email saying I'm past the first stage & I'll hear back after Jan 15th. Anyone else had a similar response?

I've heard nothing :frown:
when did you apply?
well done, btw :smile:
Original post by Juvenal

snap :frown:
Original post by Cloomin
Wow, the same except rather than Warwick I went for St Andrews, but it was certainly a choice between the two. I've got an offer from Sussex too, are you going to go to any of the open days? I've not heard anything back from Cambridge, I'm not sure whether they send interview invites in order of college, subject, or what, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow. What college have you applied to, and do you have an interview? Well that was a bit lengthy, haha!

Small world: Cambridge (Madgalene), UCL, KCL, York and Leeds - all V500.

I have offers from York and Leeds (AAB and ABB respectively) and an interview at Magdalene on the 7th of Dec. A friend of mine also applying for philosophy has an A*AAA offer from Warwick.

I've got 3A* 4A 3B at GCSE and a 89% average at AS.

Predicted:
A* Philosophy
A* English Lit
A Physics

Well that's me, academically :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by buttercuplizzy
snap :frown:

Solidarity :eek4:
I've heard nothing :frown:
when did you apply?
well done, btw :smile:

Thank you! I applied on October 14th.
What about you? I wouldn't worry, no news is good news!
Original post by dorian gray
Thank you! I applied on October 14th.
What about you? I wouldn't worry, no news is good news!

Just realised i asked you this question in the SSEES thread. oops. :rolleyes:

I had an acknowledgement from them, but in the email it basically said "we have lots of well qualified applicants, so it may take some time before you hear from us" They didn't specify when i would hear from them. Did you get an acknowledgement first and then a second email telling you you wouldn't hear from them until january 15th? This is funny, as on the website it says interview day is the 12th January. confused. much. :redface:
Original post by riotgrrl
Ummm, not bad actually. For the one that was like "why do you want to study ancient world studies at UCL?" I wasn't really sure how much to suck up to UCL? xD I did the Iliad for my interesting thing about the classical world which was fine, Roman architecture for something that's influenced the modern world (didn't want to do literature again) which mebbes wasn't so fine and then I liked the poetry one at the end quite a lot. How about you?

Haha too true, I think I got the balance OK in the end though. I found it hard not to do 2 on literature as well! I really like the poemy thing at the end so that bit was pretty fun, the only real difficulty was keeping it all in the limits. I agree that the modern world one was the trickiest though. Have you applied for the course with the year abroad or just the 3 year?
Just realised i asked you this question in the SSEES thread. oops. :rolleyes:

I had an acknowledgement from them, but in the email it basically said "we have lots of well qualified applicants, so it may take some time before you hear from us" They didn't specify when i would hear from them. Did you get an acknowledgement first and then a second email telling you you wouldn't hear from them until january 15th? This is funny, as on the website it says interview day is the 12th January. confused. much. :redface:

I had an acknowledgement to begin with, and then this:

UCL
Due to the overwhelming demand for this programme, we are operating a long-list system whereby candidates will be considered as one overall cohort once all the applications have been received on 15th January. I am pleased to be able to inform you that you have made it past the first phase of this process and your application will go through for consideration by the Admissions Tutor.

I anticipate that you will have a decision on your application by the end of January and we will let you know via UCAS and by email.

Perhaps they don't want to interview me / they may interview my cohort in February.
When did you apply? I hope the quote was useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending