The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

I sent mine on the 18th of September and all I have is an acknowledgement. Though, like someone said a few posts back, the modern languages department does seem to be going slower.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Got this email this morning:

"Thank you for your application for a place on one of UCL’s Undergraduate Philosophy Programmes.

Since you have struck our Admissions Tutor as a promising applicant, we would like to invite you to a Philosophy Open Day on Wednesday 15 December. The Open Day is part of our selection process, but it is also a chance to meet us, to ask us questions, to face an intellectual challenge, and to enjoy the buzz of a philosophical encounter.

The day starts at 1.45 pm with registration in the Philosophy Department. At 2.00 pm we go to a lecture theatre. There a member of staff will describe the BA philosophy courses and answer your queries. This will be followed by a philosophical talk with a brief discussion period, followed by a short written test on the subject of the talk. "

Anybody else? Is this standard or a sort of interview? aaargh!!
Reply 1022
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by holly-eliza

"Thank you for your application for a place on one of UCL’s Undergraduate Philosophy Programmes.

Since you have struck our Admissions Tutor as a promising applicant, we would like to invite you to a Philosophy Open Day on Wednesday 15 December. The Open Day is part of our selection process, but it is also a chance to meet us, to ask us questions, to face an intellectual challenge, and to enjoy the buzz of a philosophical encounter.

The day starts at 1.45 pm with registration in the Philosophy Department. At 2.00 pm we go to a lecture theatre. There a member of staff will describe the BA philosophy courses and answer your queries. This will be followed by a philosophical talk with a brief discussion period, followed by a short written test on the subject of the talk. "

Quick question- when did you apply. I only got my acknowledgement a week ago...
Original post by buttercuplizzy
Quick question- when did you apply. I only got my acknowledgement a week ago...

ages ago, so don't worry. I'm applying for oxford too so I sent everything off on about the 10th...
ages ago, so don't worry. I'm applying for oxford too so I sent everything off on about the 10th...

ah cool, just read your profile and saw that you are doing a me- applying for varies combinations of Politics/philosophy. I'm VERY worried right now as someone posted up here how they have already had 400 applications.... oh well, i'll expect my rejection sometime soon. :rolleyes:
Reply 1026

Congratulations! :smile:

I got this e-mail, too! It has thrown me into a bit of a stress, as it is less than a week after my Camb interviews. :s-smilie:

So we shan't have individual interviews, right? It's just a written test and a discussion?
Original post by Fluidity
Congratulations! :smile:

I got this e-mail, too! It has thrown me into a bit of a stress, as it is less than a week after my Camb interviews. :s-smilie:

So we shan't have individual interviews, right? It's just a written test and a discussion?

I think so...do you know if it's true that most people invited to the open day get offers? I hope so!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by buttercuplizzy
ah cool, just read your profile and saw that you are doing a me- applying for varies combinations of Politics/philosophy. I'm VERY worried right now as someone posted up here how they have already had 400 applications.... oh well, i'll expect my rejection sometime soon. :rolleyes:

:afraid: I hate this whole process. This is the first response I've had from any uni...I'm dreading that the first thing on track will be a rejection because I don't have an insurance (already got my grades) so all the unis I've applied to are similarly competitive :s-smilie:
Reply 1029
I think so...do you know if it's true that most people invited to the open day get offers? I hope so!

I haven't a clue, sorry. I do think rather a few are rejected pre-interview though, so I'd say 50% of the battle is won. :tongue:
Those applying for psych...

After sending it off on Ox deadline, got this today: 'We have only just received your application in the department and I have passed it onto the Admissions Tutor for consideration. I apologise for the delay, but we have been inundated with applications for this degree.

I hope to have a decision for you shortly.'
Original post by Noodlzzz

After sending it off on Ox deadline, got this today: 'We have only just received your application in the department and I have passed it onto the Admissions Tutor for consideration. I apologise for the delay, but we have been inundated with applications for this degree.

Ah right. I wonder if they'll send everyone that email. Did you receive an acknowledgement email from them a while back? I thought you get the acknowledgement when they get your application.. but that's saying they've only just received it. Odd :s-smilie:

:eek: What can I say...? Perhaps they're processing the applications in batches, which explains why some people got the questionnaire and some didn't?
Just got a letter from UCL inviting me to a Physics-Department open day. It was posted on the 12th of November, and I recieved it today. Anyone else coming to UCL for physics? =D
Original post by xbabycakes
Ah right. I wonder if they'll send everyone that email. Did you receive an acknowledgement email from them a while back? I thought you get the acknowledgement when they get your application.. but that's saying they've only just received it. Odd :s-smilie:

Gt acknowledged by the uni on 21st I think. Got this email after asking them about the one
month decision thing and got the above reply. Worrying by how many have applied :/
Gt acknowledged by the uni on 21st I think. Got this email after asking them about the one
month decision thing and got the above reply. Worrying by how many have applied :/

ah I see.. oh no :frown: That is pretty worrying. Tbh, I'm not holding much hope. What will be will be.
Reply 1036

Yeah, I got that too. I think it's pretty standard as the admissions procedure is described in exactly those terms on the website. :smile:
Reply 1037
Does anyone know what time they usually start making decisions for law? I did the LNAT about a week ago if that makes a difference. Do they give out invites to open days/ interviews? Has anyone heard anything at all?
Original post by TwilightKnight
I don't understand - you got 3 A*'s and and A but you didn't get into your universities last year? Even though you met at least 4 of your offers (5 if you did well on STEP).

Did you not get in, or did you choose not to go to the others and reapply this year again for Cambridge because you missed a score on STEP?

WELL I got a C in one of my further maths modules so i missed my imperial offer, did really bad in step so i missed my cambridge offer!

Original post by Connhk
What went wrong? Did you fail STEP?

see above

Original post by Panda Vinnie
Congrats! I've also applied for your course at UCL, have only received an acknowledgement from them so far. Do you mind sharing when you sent your application?

13th october i believe :smile:
Original post by phwarfcat
WELL I got a C in one of my further maths modules so i missed my imperial offer, did really bad in step so i missed my cambridge offer!

see above

13th october i believe :smile:

They specified that you get a specific grade in D2 :confused:?

I've heard of Maths courses making specific grades a requirement on C3, C4 and FP2/FP3 and sometimes the M#s, but never on a decision topic. That's harsh as hell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending