The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Official UCL Applicant Thread for Entry in 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Original post by Cloomin
ALL PHILOSOPHY APPLICANTS!

Hi, just to let you know I spoke to the philosophy department at UCL this morning and they said they wouldn't be in touch about interviews for at least a few weeks. They also said they've received around 400 applicants so far (yikes!) and last year, about 800. They also said there are only 40 places, can you believe how competitive this course is?! It's actually worse than cambridge! In my personal statement I talked about a bit about aesthetics, and why literary classics are conservative, made a comparison between sand and politics, and then a bit about Nietzsche's BGAE and how nothing is objective, no matter how dressed in dispassionate reason, value judgements lie behind everything. Mainly more 'soft philosophy' I suppose. I actually cringe whenever I think about my personal statement! I reckon not having any formal education in your subject actually works in your favour, it shows so much initiative :smile: I can imagine that it is daunting, but they'll definitely take it into account that you're doing it without guidance

Haha, yeah I really hate reading back anything I write about myself, especially when you have to sell yourself like in a PS, I prefer to be as British and self-deprecating as possible but that probably isn't the best idea in these circumstances! Hope you too hear about an interview/ open day for UCL soon, your PS sounds interesting and your grades are really good so I'm sure you will :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by dorian gray
Ahh, fair enough!

They've offered 0 interviews and have given 0 offers for Politics & East European Studies; people have only heard back for Economics, Business & EES!

Sooo, I wouldn't worry :wink:

theres someone on here who claimmssss to have received an offer for PEES, but i suppose you have to take everything on here with a pinch of salt. :rolleyes:
Reply 1062
I got an offer last week for the MSc Management! Still waiting on LSE to decide though, and then will see where I end up..

Anyone else gotten offers for Management?!
Original post by classicalstudent
3 as well, tempted to ask to switch for the 4 year course though, a year in Greece or Italy would be pretty amazing. Is UCL your first choice?

Nah, it's a close second! I really loved it when I went for a taster session there and London is definitely where I want to be but Oxford just beats it for me, I think.
Reply 1064
I'll apply for MSci Physics with AStrophysics :wink:

I hope send my application at the end of This week !!
Original post by CZephyr
Hey!! :smile: Haha I am also an IB applicant, I sat my exams during this session (November) and applied to UCL around mid October.
I applied for biomedical sciences and received an acknowledgement so far. eeeeeek!! I just wish I can hear their decision soon - a rejection is even better than nothing! I was predicted around a 44/45 but I don't think reality will ever match up to that prediction .
:smile:

You took them now?? :eek: How did they go?
Yeah I just want to hear from them and wow 44/45 thats amazing :biggrin:
Reply 1066
Original post by antantoon
You took them now?? :eek: How did they go?
Yeah I just want to hear from them and wow 44/45 thats amazing :biggrin:

LOL they went OK!! But my schools exams were better haha so I really don't think I'll end up matching up to my predicted althought that would be cool :smile:

Are you a.... May 2011 candidate? :P hehe GOOD LUCK!! You'll be fine :smile: And now after IB finished, I don't really know what to do with myself anymore. haha
AND I need to stop checking my email every 2 hours.
Reply 1067
Original post by squishy26
Just got an interview for neuroscience :smile: Anyone else been invited to Interview Day for the 1st December?

Congrats! Do you think they do it alphabetically judging by your last name? And when did you apply? I am waiting for any sign of life from ucl nervously...:s-smilie:
Original post by CZephyr
LOL they went OK!! But my schools exams were better haha so I really don't think I'll end up matching up to my predicted althought that would be cool :smile:

Are you a.... May 2011 candidate? :P hehe GOOD LUCK!! You'll be fine :smile: And now after IB finished, I don't really know what to do with myself anymore. haha
AND I need to stop checking my email every 2 hours.

Yeah we hopefully you get the predictions that would be amazing :smile:
Yeah I'm a May candidate counting the weeks until its all over, Wow IB finished Im going to travel for the start of my 5 month summer holiday and see how the rest goes
Im exactly the same checking my emails for any sort of response :P
Reply 1069
Just got in for Natural Sciences MSci after interview! It's my first offer after more than a month of UCAS, so I'm really relieved :smile:.
I've just been invited to the Philosophy Subjects Open Day in December where there will be some sort of written test.

Anybody else?
Any "Engineering with Business Finance" applicants?
Original post by Salastico7
I've just been invited to the Philosophy Subjects Open Day in December where there will be some sort of written test.

Anybody else?

i haven't heard anything. :frown: when did you recieve this letter/email?
there are several people who got letters yesterday, on here, inviting them to an Open Day. you'll find them if you go back a few pages.
Reply 1073

Anybody else?

Me! Is yours on the 15th, too? :smile:
Original post by Fluidity
Me! Is yours on the 15th, too? :smile:

out of interest, did you recieve this in the post? i'm praying my post service is just slow....
Reply 1075
ESPS news anyone? especially international students? :smile:
Reply 1076
Original post by coffee-spoons
out of interest, did you recieve this in the post? i'm praying my post service is just slow....

I received it via e-mail, I'm sorry to say!

But I think there may be more than one open day for applicants, so you could still be getting one soon! :smile:
Original post by Fluidity
I received it via e-mail, I'm sorry to say!

But I think there may be more than one open day for applicants, so you could still be getting one soon! :smile:

ah, no. well, i haven't been rejected yet- so, no news is good news i guess. :redface:
Reply 1078
Any idea if UCL holds Law interviews for international applicants? I tried e-mailing them but haven't heard anything back yet.
Reply 1079

Anybody else?

Do you happen to know if applicants for joint philosophy courses (phil/eco in my case) have these invites?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending