The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cowboys vs Aliens looks interesting. :holmes:

1873. Arizona Territory. A stranger (Craig) with no memory of his past stumbles into the hard desert town of Absolution. The only hint to his history is a mysterious shackle that encircles one wrist. What he discovers is that the people of Absolution don't welcome strangers, and nobody makes a move on its streets unless ordered to do so by the iron-fisted Colonel Dolarhyde (Ford). It's a town that lives in fear.

But Absolution is about to experience fear it can scarcely comprehend as the desolate city is attacked by marauders from the sky. Screaming down with breathtaking velocity and blinding lights to abduct the helpless one by one, these monsters challenge everything the residents have ever known.

Now, the stranger they rejected is their only hope for salvation. As this gunslinger slowly starts to remember who he is and where he's been, he realizes he holds a secret that could give the town a fighting chance against the alien force. With the help of the elusive traveler Ella (Olivia Wilde), he pulls together a posse comprised of former opponents-townsfolk, Dolarhyde and his boys, outlaws and Apache warriors-all in danger of annihilation. United against a common enemy, they will prepare for an epic showdown for survival.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3641
Original post by Phalanges
Leon - Natalie Portman
Kill Bill - Uma Thurman (not the best films by a long shot, but she is good in them - Daryl Hannah is also pretty awesome)
Panic Room - Jodie Foster (Holy crap I only just realised that the daughter in that film is the girl from Twilight!)
Erin Brocovich - Julia Roberts
Silence of the Lambs - Jodie Foster
Mullholland Dr - Naomi Watts
Volver - Penelope Cruz
Vicky Cristina Barcelona - Penelope Cruz
Monster - Charlize Theron
The Hours - Nicole Kidman
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Kate Winslet

That list would be a pretty good starting point I think, from what I can think of off the top of my head.

I know what you mean though - there's countless actors I really enjoy watching and would instantly watch a film for, but when I think about actresses the only two I really hold in high regard are Jodie Foster and Penelope Cruz.

:eek3:

I would never, ever have noticed that.

Anyway, I watched VCB last week and I agree, Penelope Cruz was brilliant in that.
Original post by n1r4v

Original post by n1r4v
:eek3:

I would never, ever have noticed that.

Anyway, I watched VCB last week and I agree, Penelope Cruz was brilliant in that.

I'm in complete shock, it looks absolutely nothing like her now. Seems to have been her first Hollywood film as well... just another point against anyone who hates on the Twilight films without having watched them I guess, they did actually hire stars who could act.

But yeah, Cruz is fantastic. Although she's been in some dross recently (her last film was SATC2, and her next film is the new PotC) - she could end up going the same way as Charlize Theron, unfortunately.
I'm in complete shock, it looks absolutely nothing like her now. Seems to have been her first Hollywood film as well... just another point against anyone who hates on the Twilight films without having watched them I guess, they did actually hire stars who could act.

But yeah, Cruz is fantastic. Although she's been in some dross recently (her last film was SATC2, and her next film is the new PotC) - she could end up going the same way as Charlize Theron, unfortunately.

I have watched Twilight, and therefore feel entirely justified in hating on it :h:

Although Kristin what's-her-name isn't a bad actor, she was just cast in a moronic role.
Original post by Abiraleft
:ditto: on both points.

Btw, I was thinking about it a couple of days ago, and realized I can name several male actors I think are awesome without even really thinking about it, but the only actress with 'acting ability' that really comes to mind is Meryl Streep... I now feel a bit sexist :redface: so wanted to ask you guys to recommend movies with memorable acting from actresses.

Sienna Miller in Factory Girl. :yes:
Reply 3645
I'm ALL about the actresses. I'm much more drawn towards an actress's performance than an actor's.

Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis in Thelma & Louise.
Juliette Binoche in The English Patient and Chocolat.
Jodie Foster in The Silence Of The Lambs and The Accused.
Julianne Moore in The Kids Are All Right.
Felicity Huffman in Transamerica.
Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age.
Andrew Garfield is a lucky man. :yes:

Cate Blanchett is phenomenal in I'm Not There.
Original post by Jace Falco

Original post by Jace Falco
I don't know the cast well enough to have any strong opinions, but the canon rape in the synopsis slightly puts me off. But all superhero films rape the canon, so that won't bother me too much.

Oh, and it's just 'Green Lantern', no 'The'. He's a Green Lantern, rather than the only one.

Alright geek boy :huff: but yeah, I just saw the names of Ryan Reynolds and some bitch from Gossip Girl and did a massive :nothing:
For women in films, I thought Kate Winslet was great in The Reader, everything else I could think of has already been said.
Reply 3650
Original post by Abiraleft
...so wanted to ask you guys to recommend movies with memorable acting from actresses.

Juliette Binoche - Trois Couleurs Bleu
One of the best female lead performances in all of cinema I'd wager

And Anna Karina in anything! Although I am very biased :colondollar:
If you haven't already heard of this U.S. TV Show, seen a thread about it on TSR which reminded me. The Walking Dead (zombie apocalpyse TV show). Frank Darabont (Green Mile and Shawshank Redemption).

Coming on FX soon.

It's already started on FX.
Reply 3653
Watched The Reef yesterday (Traucki's thriller, rather than the Disney animation or the abyssmal "Into the Blue" sequel) and would thoroughly recommend it, especially if you enjoyed Open Water. Imo, it's a much more entertaining, edge-of-the-seat experience than Open Water, more akin to Jaws, but without the cheesiness.

Is Romper Stomper worth a view? :beard:
INCEPTION IS AMAZING! if you haven't seen it yet, GO GO GO! easily one of the best films of the year! very thought-provoking!
Original post by Earthly

Original post by Earthly
INCEPTION IS AMAZING! if you haven't seen it yet, GO GO GO! easily one of the best films of the year! very thought-provoking!

Might have to check that out - is it a new film? What's it about?
Reply 3656

I think I've heard of it - it's that Latvian film that deals with the beginnings of the Balkan states.

It's hard to explain, but it is amazing!!!!!! Watch it! One of my favourite films this year xD!
Reply 3658
Original post by Adjectiveless
One of my favourite films this year xD!

With a solid gold recommendation like that, I'd be mad not to watch it immediately. Especially given the way you got into a good discussion of the film's merits, and other films that it just edged.

It's hard to explain, but it is amazing!!!!!! Watch it! One of my favourite films this year xD!

Hmmm, I dunno - just looked it up on Wikipedia and it seems a bit serious and boring. I prefer Will Ferrell films, now they are quality. He's a far better actor than that Leonardo DorKaprio, all he ever seems to do is pout.

Latest