The Student Room Group

Bakuman Anime Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Bakuman ep7

I decided this week that I don't like the romance element of Bakuman, and that Miho irritates me :giggle:

This episode further added to my worries about having Kenichi Kasai in charge of the anime adaptation. Much as I love the man's past work (Honey & Clover, Nodame Cantabile) I can't help feeling that the increased focus on the romance element is misguided - its suddenly become crystal clear to me that the romance element of Bakuman is really weak.

I love the series when its focusing on Mashiro & Takagi getting all fired up about manga, and its particularly good when they start to introduce other mangaka and the Shounen Jump editorial staff, but I think in hindsight I've been skimming over chapters dealing with Mashiro & Miho's relationship as they're pretty boring! I suppose we'll see how the show fares when the romance element takes a firm backseat to the shounen element - hopefully it won't take too much longer to get to that point.
Reply 41
Original post by caraniel
Bakuman ep7

I decided this week that I don't like the romance element of Bakuman, and that Miho irritates me :giggle:

This episode further added to my worries about having Kenichi Kasai in charge of the anime adaptation. Much as I love the man's past work (Honey & Clover, Nodame Cantabile) I can't help feeling that the increased focus on the romance element is misguided - its suddenly become crystal clear to me that the romance element of Bakuman is really weak.

I love the series when its focusing on Mashiro & Takagi getting all fired up about manga, and its particularly good when they start to introduce other mangaka and the Shounen Jump editorial staff, but I think in hindsight I've been skimming over chapters dealing with Mashiro & Miho's relationship as they're pretty boring! I suppose we'll see how the show fares when the romance element takes a firm backseat to the shounen element - hopefully it won't take too much longer to get to that point.

Although I'm inclined to agree that the romance is hardly comparable to that found in an Takahashi or Adachi manga, for instance, it's far from poor. In my opinion, it helps to maintain that balance between their goal and what ultimately drives them, thus providing context. Miho's indecisiveness is merely a plot device, and while I can appreciate your frustration, her mentality is in keeping with her character archetype. Personally, I found Moritaka's attempt to communicate endearing, while her responses were satisfactory as she seemed fairly conclusive with her feelings. I didn't find the episode boring at all, let's put it that way. Granted, the romance is not the primary focus of this series, nor do I believe, contrary to your concern, will it end up becoming so. I do, on the other hand, feel that its place is required.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Aiko
Although I'm inclined to agree that the romance is hardly comparable to that found in an Takahashi or Adachi manga, for instance, it's far from poor. In my opinion, it helps to maintain that balance between their goal of becoming successful mangka and what ultimately drives them, thus providing context. Miho's indecisiveness is merely a plot device, and while I can appreciate your frustration, her mentality is in keeping with her character archetype. Personally, I found Moritaka's attempt to communicate endearing, while her responses were satisfactory as she seemed fairly conclusive with her feelings. I didn't find the episode boring at all, let's put it that way. Granted, the romance is not the primary focus of this series, nor do I believe, contrary to your concern, will it end up becoming so. I do, on other hand, feel that its place is required.

I think that despite my best efforts to try and stop myself, I've fallen prey to the 'they changed it and now it sucks!' mentality of a manga reader :redface: I need to try and get that objective distance back - the anime is going to be different to the manga. I have to stop forcing my expectations onto the series.......which is much easier said than done! :laugh:
Reply 43
the romance gets in the way of the shonen rush Im expecting:huff:
Reply 44
I think that despite my best efforts to try and stop myself, I've fallen prey to the 'they changed it and now it sucks!' mentality of a manga reader :redface: I need to try and get that objective distance back - the anime is going to be different to the manga. I have to stop forcing my expectations onto the series.......which is much easier said than done! :laugh:

I've always been fairly objective and open minded when it comes to anime adaptations because I acknowledge that the majority of the time the studio/director/scriptwriter will probably add their own slant in some form or another. It's similar to watching an adaptation of a novel. I accept that it's going to be different and will judge it on its own merits.

Also, you had to reply before I edited my post. I really need to proof read what I type before I hit the reply button. :giggle: :sad:
Reply 45
Original post by vin
the romance gets in the way of the shonen rush Im expecting:huff:

If done don't correctly (i.e. Touch), the romance surpasses that of its shounen counterpart. :tongue:

Edit: I can't post while multitasking. :sad:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 46
Episode 8 went straight back to the task at hand and it really nailed the trials and tribulations the pair are currently undergoing in order to achieve their dream. I could fully comprehend and relate with the tension they both shared before receiving the call about how they did in the Tezuka Award, only to receive that all too familiar bout of disappointment and realisation when they didn't make the cut. When you're proud of something you've produced and believe you could potentially go all the way, only to then find that you still didn't make it, is a difficult hurdle to overcome, especially when you have such high hopes. I have to commend the series for managing to provoke such feelings. It's that sense of realism that's shown at its best during scenes like this.

Aside from this, the classmate's malicious comments at the end seemed inappropriate and arguably forced, merely to incite drama for a climatic closure, but nonetheless I'm beginning to admire Akito more and more with each passing episode, and with his reaction, I can see how much respect and loyalty he has for Moritaka. Their friendship has grown exponentially throughout this endeavour, almost unbelievably. It's a testament to how powerful a mutual goal can be. As for Moritaka, his concern that his artwork isn't quite up to par is understandable, and personally I'd wager that he has the biggest challenge amongst the two. In my opinion, coming up with a worthwhile script is tangible for someone who is already capable of writing and has read enough literature to reference, but for an artist who isn't accustomed to the manga/comic book format, it's incredibly challenging. As someone who has dabbed in trying to illustrate my own manga, it's not easy. The whole process is completely unlike any other type of project I've undertaken… I guess Moritaka just has to find his own signature style that's attractive and inline with the genre he's illustrating for (shounen). I'm sure he'll find it sooner than later.

Anyway, I have to say that I'm really enjoying Bakuman right now. It's probably my favourite of the season, despite not a huge amount really happening. It's the interesting premise and characterisation that has maintained my interest.
Reply 47
New post - Episode 08.

And we're back on track after the rather miserable romance episode last week - this is what I prefer to see from Bakuman. I really love watching Mashiro & Takagi get all excited about their manga, and I was quite interested in Takagi's 'One in a Million' story; if that premise popped up in a season preview my interest would definitely be picqued. Mashiro's artwork has also improved a lot, but you can also tell he's still trying to find a style that suits him.

Also Inner Yaoi Fangirl is seeing all kinds of BL potential......curse my corrupted mind!
Reply 48
Im glad the focus is back to manga:yep: to work that hard and to not make it to the top in the end:sad: creating manga is difficult :s-smilie:

that guy at the end definitely deserved to have his face punched in:yep: It would have been more satisfying if they told him what was wrong with his art and how he didnt know a thing about the whole process and then punched him.:yep: Getting to that stage is still an achievement.:yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 49
Bakuman ep9

So another romance episode - but I really didn't mind this week since it was mainly Takagi-centric (we'll just ignore the fact half the episode was of Mashiro wangsting). Great reaction faces and a few properly funny moments - mostly triggered by classic foot-in-mouth moments!
Reply 50
I liked this ep:hmmmm: it was about the glasses one and funny:giggle:

that girl is needlessly violent:teeth:
Reply 51
ok this part confuses me, they have the actual bleach/naruto/one piece names and characters around and stuff yet shonen jump is called jack?:confused:

good ep:yep: that guy is clearly working with them wanting them to do well even using the term "we":shock: another slightly too convenient event where the higher up editor just happens to be around at the right time to give them some feedback and encouragement :lolwut:
(edited 13 years ago)
*is up to date again*

Another good episode. This buying/selling knowledge concept is interesting, but I imagine it would be difficult to write a story revolving around it. :hmmmm2: I'm not the most creative person to begin with though. :o:
Reply 53
Bakuman ep10.

I liked this episode - its always interesting to get an insight into the backrooms of manga creation, and I found the information about the reader questionnaire's and rating system to be fascinating. It was also nice to see the editors getting more involved - Hattori's really going out of his way to help Mashiro & Takagi.

As for Takagi's Money & Intelligence storyline - take it a bit further and you have Kaiba. Might end up being a bit convoluted and deep for a shounen manga, there is a whole lot of potential in that concept.
Reply 54

Bakuman ep10.

I liked this episode - its always interesting to get an insight into the backrooms of manga creation, and I found the information about the reader questionnaire's and rating system to be fascinating. It was also nice to see the editors getting more involved - Hattori's really going out of his way to help Mashiro & Takagi.

As for Takagi's Money & Intelligence storyline - take it a bit further and you have Kaiba. Might end up being a bit convoluted and deep for a shounen manga, there is a whole lot of potential in that concept.

I wonder if it will be revealed later the reason Hattori looked like he hadnt slept all night because he was working on something or other for these guys benefit :giggle:
Reply 55
Original post by vin
I wonder if it will be revealed later the reason Hattori looked like he hadnt slept all night because he was working on something or other for these guys benefit :giggle:

It was kind of implied that he hadn't slept because he was going through stats for the boys to show that its possible to be successful with a niche manga rather than the general appeal angle they had been trying for before hand.
Reply 56
:hmpf: too much time on the romance crap,
Reply 57
:pinch: **** sake bakuman there was too much romance crap last week so you do the same thing this week :mad:
Reply 58
Original post by vin
:pinch: **** sake bakuman there was too much romance crap last week so you do the same thing this week :mad:

I don't particularly mind the romance and find it helps to provide some balance away from the main task at hand.

With episode 14, the pacing has definitely picked up. I'm not sure whether it's because they're covering more of the manga each episode or that we're finally getting into the thick of things, but in any case, I welcome the increased pace. I also have to say that despite having my reservations about Nizuma to begin with, from this episode alone, his sincere honesty has won me over.
Reply 59
An increase in Nizuma and adding the other side characters into the OP & new ED is a very welcome move! The second half of episode 14 was just what I wanted to see from Bakuman - maybe I can finally be more enthusiastic about the anime adaptation now!

However I'm still annoyed that they've kept 'Blue Bird' as the OP (even if it is a different verse) - I really don't like the mood that OP sets. New ED is much, much better and I like the animation too.

Quick Reply

Latest