The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chaosteve13
same here, they replied my email said they have gave some offers to some best applicants, but also some rejections. The others applications have been held until later in the admissions cycle to ensure equality. My friend said she got her offer(biology) in late January(She applied last year). So I assume that can also happen this year:-(

If you don't mind me asking, when did you get this email? Because I haven't heard anything, I only read about when they're giving offers on the website. Do you know if they have given any out to the best applicants yet? (which obviously isn't us :s-smilie:)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 241
Original post by AlexIsMyHero
If you don't mind me asking, when did you get this email? Because I haven't heard anything, I only read about when they're giving offers on the website. Do you know if they have given any out to the best applicants yet? (which obviously isn't us :s-smilie:)

I think it says about the offers/rejections/holding onto application thing on all acknowledgement emails from the different departments because i got one like this too
Reply 242
I just got rejected for Politics with A*A*A already achieved...whuuuuut?!
Reply 243
Original post by sentiment

Whaaaaaat. D:

Do they explain why?

That sucks I'm sorry :frown: Maybe your personal statement wasn't very good? From what I hear Bristol place a lot of importance on it and they don't like stilted/coached statements. Or maybe you had a bad reference? :s-smilie:
Reply 246
I've applied to English at Bristol... I'm so scared!

Bristol or Oxford are the only universities I genuinely would like to go to, and they're both so competitive! It's not looking hopeful :frown: does anyone know if Bristol ever interview for English?
Reply 247
Original post by IHeartAmerica1993
That sucks I'm sorry :frown: Maybe your personal statement wasn't very good? From what I hear Bristol place a lot of importance on it and they don't like stilted/coached statements. Or maybe you had a bad reference? :s-smilie:

Well my statement certainly wasn't coached because I wrote it entirely by myself and didn't have anyone look at it (I've left college) and my reference won't have been bad I'm sure. Never mind though.
Reply 248
Original post by jthlm
I've applied to English at Bristol... I'm so scared!

Bristol or Oxford are the only universities I genuinely would like to go to, and they're both so competitive! It's not looking hopeful :frown: does anyone know if Bristol ever interview for English?

Bristol don't interview, no. I've applied for English too, though :h: Bro-fist!

I'm not saying this to be mean, but Oxford and Bristol are insanely competitive for English and you'll be extremely lucky statistically to get an offer from either. Where else did you apply to? I'm sure you have some equally awesome universities to go to if Bristol say no.
Reply 249
Just got an offer of AAB for Politics and German, chuffed :biggrin:
Well my statement certainly wasn't coached because I wrote it entirely by myself and didn't have anyone look at it (I've left college) and my reference won't have been bad I'm sure. Never mind though.

Might have been an idea to have someone take a gander.

I got as many opinions as I could, and whittled it down that way. I ended up with a strong statement by refining and refining. My family friend is an admission tutor and he also gave it a look.

I've got A*AC, applying Pol/phil.

Fingers crossed.
Reply 251
Original post by AskMeAnything

I got as many opinions as I could, and whittled it down that way. I ended up with a strong statement by refining and refining. My family friend is an admission tutor and he also gave it a look.

Fingers crossed.

Are you post-A-level? If so, you're in the same position as I am pretty much. Best of luck :smile:
Original post by AlexIsMyHero

I have just got an offer...through UCAS
Reply 253

Fingers crossed.

I'm sceptical about the significance of personal statements anyway. If they rejected me on the basis of that alone, then they're idiots and it's their loss. I'd be surprised that they'd reject someone with much better grades over someone with a slightly shinier personal statement. Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by offering this 'advice' now, but good luck to you anyway.
Reply 254
Original post by emilyanne2010
I sent my application off at the beginning of October in order to get it in for the Oxbridge deadline. and about 1 week later i received an acknowledgement and then about 2 weeks later i received an invitation for interview. I am applying for engineering mathematics so i don't know if that is different. I have my interview tomorrow! i hope i get in!

em

Wow!! hope you get in too, my subject doesn't interview so i think i will just have to wait and see...:rolleyes:
Reply 255

Welp:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/spais/prospective/prospectiveugs/prospugadmissionsinfo/admisstatement.doc
The admissions team pays particular attention to the applicants’ personal statements as a means of determining which students demonstrate the most potential to excel in the respective programmes.

Personal Statement Criteria

We pay particularly close attention to the personal statement. We are looking for signs of individual engagement with the course of study, as well as empirical evidence of a commitment to the subject that goes beyond the A-Level (or equivalent) syllabus.

Successful candidates tend to be those that demonstrate independent, critical engagement with the themes and controversies that underpin the discipline. This is not simply a case of applicants describing the issues they are interested in or listing the books they have read (though relevant reading or research beyond the A-Level syllabus is strongly encouraged). It is about addressing the 'why' question. What is it specifically and explicitly that so enthuses them about the debates they engage with, the books they read and the ideas they discuss? In most cases, there is a clear sense of the applicant's own intellectual journey and how this has forged their interest in and passion for the subject.

In all cases a sense of the individual is crucial. A personal statement should be just that a personal reflection on what it is that interests the applicant about the subject and why. We are not looking for a model answer. Indeed, there are countless different ways to write a successful application. For this reason using a template is STRONGLY DISCOURAGED as it will result in a generic statement that will not distinguish the candidate from the other applicants following the same model.

For programmes of study in politics strong applications will also generally be bolstered by a range of additional activities that might broadly be described as 'political'. These might include involvement with a political party, local council, activist group or political campaign. Again though, while important, this aspect of the application is perhaps less decisive than the vibrancy of the candidate's intellectual engagement with the ideas.
(edited 13 years ago)
:rolleyes:
I'm sceptical about the significance of personal statements anyway. If they rejected me on the basis of that alone, then they're idiots and it's their loss. I'd be surprised that they'd reject someone with much better grades over someone with a slightly shinier personal statement. Also, I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by offering this 'advice' now, but good luck to you anyway.

Because they're looking for well-rounded people, not people who can bang out grades and that's it. It's not about how 'shiny' the statement is, but how well you come off in it and what you've done with your life. I'm about to go travelling interesting places, I own my own company, I'm a Team Leader at my work... lots of things other than grades count.

Not that I won't get rejected, I probably will.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Muffinz
Are you post-A-level? If so, you're in the same position as I am pretty much. Best of luck :smile:

Yep mate, on my Gap Year now. Going travelling?
Reply 258
Yep mate, on my Gap Year now. Going travelling?

Might do, depends how my finances are come the summer. :3
Reply 259
Ive applied for History and Im still waiting! Im predicted A*AA and have offers from Southampton, Cardiff and Nottingham but Im just waiting for Bristol and Exeter!
:s-smilie:
Have many people heard from the History Dep.? The wait is killing me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending