The Student Room Group

medicine interview went badly...terrified of being rejected again!

Hey,

I have applied for medicine for the second time after being rejected without any interviews last year. This year I have had one interview so far and have one coming up.

I am so unhappy with the way that the first interview went. I found it really difficult and I felt that the interviewers were really pushing me to the limits of my knowledge. It was my first ever uni interview and it so happened that was the uni that I really wanted to go to. I was so nervous that my voice shook at times during the interview and there were some questions that I didn't know the answer to. I could answer most questions but there were some wierd ones. I just can't decide whether it went well or not on the whole and am so worried that I blew my chance and that I won't get into medical school. It is the absolute worst feeling when you log into UCAS track and read the words "unsuccessful"

I have no idea what I will do if I get four rejections again this year as well and I didn't get into my back up choice. They have already rejected me. I feel so down about it and whenever I think back to the interview I get worried and anxious about the outcome.

Its hard to stay positive about it. I am so worried that I will end up doing a course which I will hate and end up in an awful job and be unhappy for the rest of my life wondering why I couldn't get into medicine.

What on earth can I do?

Thanks x

EDIT: (17/03/13) Hey everyone, I made this thread 2 and a half years ago and I can't believe people are still looking at it :smile: I got rep for it yesterday! ... Just an update, I am now a second year medic at Liverpool. When I applied the second time I was rejected by 3 unis and only got 1 offer. I was as you can imagine so relieved that day when I saw 'unconditional' on UCAS track :smile:

Good luck to everyone who is applying for medicine and feel free to PM me or quote me if you have any questions or need advice about applications. And take a gap year if you don't get in first time!!!! That's much better than doing a degree you don't like and then going into medicine as it's so expensive and just a waste of 3 years :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
use it as experience and learn from it. good luck for your next interview, chances are you probably weren't as bad as what you thought. at the end of the day, everyone is their own biggest critic :smile:
Reply 2
aw dont worry it might of went better than you thought,
i think they understand that your under alot of pressure,
by the way what uni did you apply to?
Get some more interview experience.
oh no! where was your interview?
im sure it wasnt as bad as you thought but all you can do is learn from it and hope for the best. at least you know not to make the same mistakes in your next interview :smile: good luck!
Hi!

Well listen I applied for medicine last year through UCAS and got two interviews: the first at Cambridge and the second at Durham. The Cambridge set of interviews went absolutely terribly, and of course I didn't get in. The second interview went much better, but I'm afraid I didn't get the marks they wanted for my A-levels, so I didn't get in in the end.

The thing is I'm french, so now I'm actually studying in France. The med system here sucks (at least for the first year) but at least I'll get to study med, you know?
You should open your mind to the possibilities of studying overseas. Brussels, Romania, Canada, the US all offer med courses that can be less demanding. Of course you may not have the ressources to go; but it is an idea!

Hope you get in somewhere anyway :smile:
Reply 6
now i'm getting worried about any interviews i might get invited to. I show signs of nervousness too usually (my ears go bright red in a flash). But, ever since i got a rejection from St george's (the entry requirements advertised on the open day was totally misleading) i've realised that medicine is really tough to get into and would require every ounce of mental strength a person has, so i've learnt nervousness would be a disadvantage and am in the process of getting rid of it, step by step.

Hopefully you'll get a few more chances at your other choices. If its your nervousness that's getting in the way get more practise. Usually schools and 6th form's have teachers who are willing to give mock interviews. One helpful tip maybe to make them put a lot of pressure on you in the interview and ask you confusing questions so that you get used to the setting and feel less nervous and confused in the real thing.
Reply 7
Original post by AnJuM218
now i'm getting worried about any interviews i might get invited to. I show signs of nervousness too usually (my ears go bright red in a flash). But, ever since i got a rejection from St george's (the entry requirements advertised on the open day was totally misleading) i've realised that medicine is really tough to get into and would require every ounce of mental strength a person has, so i've learnt nervousness would be a disadvantage and am in the process of getting rid of it, step by step.

Hopefully you'll get a few more chances at your other choices. If its your nervousness that's getting in the way get more practise. Usually schools and 6th form's have teachers who are willing to give mock interviews. One helpful tip maybe to make them put a lot of pressure on you in the interview and ask you confusing questions so that you get used to the setting and feel less nervous and confused in the real thing.

this is really true. it has taken so much out of me. the constant rejection and the feeling of not being good enough while all your friends have gotten in and are telling you how good the course is is difficult. I am happy for them and am never bitter about their successes but is is hard to listen to their excitement when you are feeling so down. It is hard but it has really made me so much stronger and helped me learn from the bad things that happen in life and look to the future. It has been a real test for me as a person and made me realise how determined I am to achieve my dream of being a doctor.

I hope that I can learn from all the experiences that I get and hopefully one university will see something in me and admire my resilience and determination to study medicine. :smile:
Reply 8
which uni??
Learn to suck less. On the bright side, if it was B'ham you've probably got an offer anyway. Unless you cried or apologised for your interview. Actually, scrap that last bit. You'll still get an offer.
Reply 10
Original post by hali0112
this is really true. it has taken so much out of me. the constant rejection and the feeling of not being good enough while all your friends have gotten in and are telling you how good the course is is difficult. I am happy for them and am never bitter about their successes but is is hard to listen to their excitement when you are feeling so down. It is hard but it has really made me so much stronger and helped me learn from the bad things that happen in life and look to the future. It has been a real test for me as a person and made me realise how determined I am to achieve my dream of being a doctor.

I hope that I can learn from all the experiences that I get and hopefully one university will see something in me and admire my resilience and determination to study medicine. :smile:

Thats the spirit
Reply 11
which uni?
Reply 12
i got rejected last yr for med , its the worst feeling ever,i couldnt help feel shocked but yh you have to keep hoping that the future is bright,atm its not for me but 20 job intws one day ill get the hang of this 20 mins miracle thats supposed to understand your whole life and who you are.Look up.Keep your chin up.Fight for every chance you get in life,thats what im going to do from now on.
Reply 13
Oh noes :frown: Im so sorry. Now Im scared...

Im sure it wasnt that bad, OP. cheer up :smile:
Reply 14
'allo 'alli. ahhh, macca, do not worry, one rejection is not so 'orrible. 'owever, i 'ave 14 rejections and look at me i didnt turn out to be an 'alf-wit, did i.

so there is 'ope for you yet, 'alli.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Gizmo!
'allo 'alli. ahhh, macca, do not worry, one rejection is not so 'orrible. 'owever, i 'ave 14 rejections and look at me i didnt turn out to be an 'alf-wit, did i.

so there is 'ope for you yet, 'alli.

You applied to medicine 4 times? :lolwut:
Reply 16
Original post by Beska
You applied to medicine 4 times? :lolwut:

ahh. it was orrible macca, orrible.

bad for your 'ealth.
Theres absolutely nothing you can do now. Reflect on what you did wrong and practise your confidence as much as you can before your next one. Do try and relax and enjoy the interview, they dont want to break you, they want to probe you. oO
Original post by hali0112
Hey,

I have applied for medicine for the second time after being rejected without any interviews last year. This year I have had one interview so far and have one coming up.

I am so unhappy with the way that the first interview went. I found it really difficult and I felt that the interviewers were really pushing me to the limits of my knowledge. It was my first ever uni interview and it so happened that was the uni that I really wanted to go to. I was so nervous that my voice shook at times during the interview and there were some questions that I didn't know the answer to. I could answer most questions but there were some wierd ones. I just can't decide whether it went well or not on the whole and am so worried that I blew my chance and that I won't get into medical school. It is the absolute worst feeling when you log into UCAS track and read the words "unsuccessful"

I have no idea what I will do if I get four rejections again this year as well and I didn't get into my back up choice. They have already rejected me. I feel so down about it and whenever I think back to the interview I get worried and anxious about the outcome.

Its hard to stay positive about it. I am so worried that I will end up doing a course which I will hate and end up in an awful job and be unhappy for the rest of my life wondering why I couldn't get into medicine.

What on earth can I do?

Thanks x

Firstly the fact that you have reapplied to do medicine shows perseverance and commitment so good for you. Secondly think positive and try some self hypnosis to get yourself out of a negative spiral which might affect another interview. Get some interview practice- if you dont know anyone at school ring up your local GP and ask- even the GP trainee could help you out.
There are obvious things like thoroughly research any science you have mentioned in your PS, think of an example to demonstrate your communication and teamworking skills, think about how you cope with stress and look up the GMC website to help you think through the ethics question. :wink:Good Luck!
Look at it this way - you can paralyse yourself with fear and interview terribly because of that, or try and give it your best shot in the future with no worse outcome.

Learn from this experience, try and relax in the future (because stressing obviously works out badly for you) and just speak about medicine to anyone at any opportunity to improve your confidence.

Hmmm, helping people on this forum feels really odd for me now. Better go and be sarcastic to some people to counter it.

Latest

Trending

Trending