The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I seen your recommendation in the other thread. I currently have Watchmen (graphic novel) and your recommendation, Kingdom Come on my Christmas, post-exam watchlist. Are there any other graphic novels or comics you would recommend? (Preferably big and good ones like Watchmen)

Bearing in mind, this is my first venture into the graphic novel/comic world.

If you're just venturing into comics it's probably best to look at one or two from the heroes that you like.

There's the obligatory "The Dark Knight Returns" of course, and then there's "The Killing Joke" which are the essential Batman reading.

For Kingdom Come it helps to have a little background knowledge of most of DCs heroes because the majority make an appearance even if they don't have a speaking role.

I'll have a look round at some others for you when i get a moment :smile:

EDIT: It would appear Jace Falco beat me to it :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jace Falco
No, I've been concentrating on absorbing every bit of Batman canon since 1986 lately, but I've just gained a decent amount of capital for an internship, so I might check it out.

It deals with what happens when superman retires after he loses faith in the new line of "extremeviolent" heroes leading to the collapse of the Justice League particularly focusing on the demise of Batman and Wonder Woman.
Original post by Phalanges
I see. I guess what you are saying is that it's going to require a very talented writer, who is able to keep the fans with knowledge happy while still making the plot accessible to those with no prior knowledge. Let's see who they picked... oh look, it's the guy from the sixth Harry Potter film, who made countless fans angry when he chopped their beloved book to bits and alienated everyone who hadn't read it. I'm sure that bodes well...

Exactly so.

Original post by Phalanges
In Nolan's world there aren't any superheroes apart from Batman. This is evident in the Batman Begins scene, where Nolan had the play they saw before Bruce's parents death be about bats (as I believe this is different to the comics, in which it was Zorro?). The idea of becoming a superhero was supposed to be a totally original thought, whereas having other caped crusaders before him would completely undermine that premise.

Nolan will walk out on WB if ever there was a justice league film. Aren't WB aren't quite that stupid or greedy at the minute, I don't think.

Yes, you're quite right, I hadn't thought about that. In the comics it took a while for there to be any interplay between the different heroes, the idea being that they were concentrating on their own problems, but Superman does slightly predate Batman, so if he existed in Nolan's universe, he would kinda spoil it.

And yes, Thomas Wayne took his family to see The Mark Of Zorro, his favourite film.

NB, while there are plenty of other caped superheroes, only Batman is the Caped Crusader. Superman, for example, is the Man of Steel, a reference to his cock invulnerability.
Original post by cambo211
If you're just venturing into comics it's probably best to look at one or two from the heroes that you like.

There's the obligatory "The Dark Knight Returns" of course, and then there's "The Killing Joke" which are the essential Batman reading.

For Kingdom Come it helps to have a little background knowledge of most of DCs heroes because the majority make an appearance even if they don't have a speaking role.

I'll have a look round at some others for you when i get a moment :smile:

EDIT: It would appear Jace Falco beat me to it :p:

Ape Gone Insane
lol comix lol

Wikipedia provides a fairly decent, if dry, précis of the DC heroes. But naturally, nothing is as good as actually reading the comics.
Wikipedia provides a fairly decent, if dry, précis of the DC heroes. But naturally, nothing is as good as actually reading the comics.

Cough.
I seen your recommendation in the other thread. I currently have Watchmen (graphic novel) and your recommendation, Kingdom Come on my Christmas, post-exam watchlist. Are there any other graphic novels or comics you would recommend? (Preferably big and good ones like Watchmen)

Bearing in mind, this is my first venture into the graphic novel/comic world.

This site attaches a list of recommended reading to each hero/villain/organisations page. Although the list is a lot more than the essentials its safe to say what's on those lists is good reading :smile:
What about Marvel? :holmes: Is that not the other universe?

I think the DC wiki is too in-depth. Wikipedia is quicker, and doesn't spoil so much of the detail if you want to read the actual comics.

Ape Gone Insane
comix <3
If you're going to be reading into the backstory of the DCU a bit more, it probably helps to know that there was an event in the mid-80s called the Crisis on Infinite Earths, which essentially reset the entire DCU continuity, which is why you will see things referred to as Pre- or Post-Crisis. Hence why the 1986 Batman: Year One is the Batman origin story when Batman was originally created in 1939.

It's only worth reading Post-Crisis, unless you're a real completionist, because that's all that's relevant to the modern canon, and the 80s is when comics started to get a bit more mature anyway.

Shouldn't there be a society for this?
What about Marvel? :holmes: Is that not the other universe?

Yeah, Marvel is DC's main rival in comic publishing. Both have large and complex superhero universes. DC being best known for Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and suchlike, while Marvel has Spiderman, X-Men, Hulk, Captain America and so on.

People tend to prefer one over the other, and there is sometimes a fair bit of fanboi rivalry, a la Mac vs PC. Personally, I went for DC because I like Batman and Green Lantern, and don't (yet) have the money to feed a habit for both universes.
X

X.

Fanks very much you guys. :teeth:
It's only worth reading Post-Crisis, unless you're a real completionist, because that's all that's relevant to the modern canon, and the 80s is when comics started to get a bit more mature anyway.

Shouldn't there be a society for this?

There really should :holmes:
The only marvel i can ever really get into is X-men. Spiderman annoys me at times and i hadn't got into iron man before the films.

When i get hold of some much needed moneys i'll invest some in a supply of Marvel.

There is also the oddity of Captain Marvel being a DC character. Often confuses people. :holmes:
There really should :holmes:

Comics Society? DC Comics Society? Superhero(es) Society? I like the ring of that last one, but it might confuse potential members, or draw in morons.
The only marvel i can ever really get into is X-men. Spiderman annoys me at times and i hadn't got into iron man before the films.

When i get hold of some much needed moneys i'll invest some in a supply of Marvel.

There is also the oddity of Captain Marvel being a DC character. Often confuses people. :holmes:

Or 'Billy Batson and the Power of Shazam' after DC didn't use it for a while, the rights lapsed, and Marvel stole them :lol:

Seriously though, Captain Marvel is one of the dumbest heroes ever. I always cringe a little when he shows up in the crossover events.
Comics Society? DC Comics Society? Superhero(es) Society? I like the ring of that last one, but it might confuse potential members, or draw in morons.

Definitely not DC Comics cos i'd like to get into Marvel more.

Superhero(es) does have the nicest ring to it but as you say it'll attract morons and then there's the whole issue of villains. And it also excludes things like Scott Pilgrim.

Maybe i'm looking into it too deeply.

:holmes:
Or 'Billy Batson and the Power of Shazam' after DC didn't use it for a while, the rights lapsed, and Marvel stole them :lol:

Seriously though, Captain Marvel is one of the dumbest heroes ever. I always cringe a little when he shows up in the crossover events.

He has quite a role in Kingdom Come, but it's a little more interesting than the usual "Shazam" nonsense.
I read some Spiderman comics as a kid. I love/d him :daydreaming:
Definitely not DC Comics cos i'd like to get into Marvel more.

Superhero(es) does have the nicest ring to it but as you say it'll attract morons and then there's the whole issue of villains. And it also excludes things like Scott Pilgrim.

Maybe i'm looking into it too deeply.

:holmes:

We can sort this out tomorrow, I think. Time for bed, I have work in the morning.
Reply 3738
Y: The Last Man :sogood: Ah, I remember my graphic novel days...

Avengers; The Siege and Secret Invasion arcs were pretty good. Batman; Dark Victory and Year one, I remember having a good time reading them in the corner of my local library. The World War Hulk arc was fun. Ah Watchmen; as a film it was OK, but it doesn't even touch the original. I want to get a hold of The Walking Dead, and not just to know what's gonna happen in the TV series...

Sandman...Hellblazer. Lucifer. John Constantine. Morpheus!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3739

Spoiler

:facepalm2:

Latest