The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Foundation Science at UEA - Your experience and feedback please

Basically - applied for the science foundation degree. I have a background in business, barely scraping the requirements but I have them, I called them up wrote my personal statement got my reference my UCAS has all been sent off etc.

I just want to rest my mind at ease a little. I applied so that I join in september 2011. Sent my application the 15th of November, that was yesterday. How long do they usually take to get back to you? and do they tell you if they decline you?

Thankyou, Also can anyone tell me if they are in the same boat as me or have been in the same boat? :smile: How hard are these degrees to get onto because I really want to go to UEA, I have my heart set on it. :confused: :colondollar:

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Also on a side note, I'm interested if theres any beginners badminton clubs there too :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm going for the science foundation too. :smile: What you hoping to go on to study? I'm worried because I failed AS Chem so think they will reject me.

Unfortunately they could send an acknowledgement, offer or rejection at any time. There's nothing you can really do about it. You got the requirements and as long as your PS shows your interest then you should be fine.

Good luck!

They should have a societies listing on the website as well.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2
Well I am highly considering Pharmacy, But I am using this foundation Degree slightly as a means to discovery what I want to do.. Will definately be more chemistry/biology/pharmacy type things that I like.

Also thanks for the responce. How long do they usually take to get back to you?
Reply 3
I haven't sent off my application yet but with any luck should be next week.

They were extremely quick at replying by email when I asked them if I was ok to apply for the course (same day) but it's probs different for an application.

Let me know how it goes as well... :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
When I applied to UEA last year I got my offer in 6 days I believe, they're generally pretty snappy when replying to offers.

Also, I'm in my first year of pharmacy at UEA so do ask if you have any questions :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Lucyyy
When I applied to UEA last year I got my offer in 6 days I believe, they're generally pretty snappy when replying to offers.

Also, I'm in my first year of pharmacy at UEA so do ask if you have any questions :smile:

Is the teaching and uni in general as amazing as what I've heard?
Reply 6
Original post by Jakelee
Is the teaching and uni in general as amazing as what I've heard?

For the most part the teaching is fantastic - lecturers are all ridiculously knowledgeable in their subjects, just some of them are better at presenting that knowledge than others. Some lecturers can be a little unispiring in that sense but the majority are great, and they're all very willing to help you out if you have any problems at all. We do workshops for some of our modules, which is basically where we're given a worksheet to do, you can chat amongst friends to complete it etc, but you'll have about 5 or so lecturers in the room also to help out with any questions. I don't know about anyone else but I find those kinda things really helpful, and it's a good chance to put the knowledge from the lectures in to practice. Labs are a lot less hideous than I thought they'd be too, considering my hate for practicals.. the first few are pretty repetitive though!
As for the uni itself, yes yes yes! I think UEA has a fantastic atmosphere, and although it's visual appearance lets it down a little (yay, concrete..), it's just lovely. Always stuff going on around campus, really active union, student nights in the LCR twice a week, cheap and cheerful bar (although it does close ludicrously early), nice halls (haven't heard complaints for any of them really), can't complain! I am trying to find a negative here for a bit of balance but I genuinely struggle, haha.
Reply 7
I totally agree on the lectures being knowledgable about their subjects, and they will always email you anything and everything relevant if you are stuck or have pointed out a question they cannot answere on the spot. Workshops can be great fun (but it depends on the timetables, physical biochem on thursdays is just :nothing:)

The cheap coffee and cake offers they do in the Hive easily make up for it though. As do labs , probably the most fun we have all week with exceptionally bouncy chairs and pipettes ( I'm sure the novelty will wear off at some point.

Negatives, probably the huge amount of concrete which can make the place look rubbish on a poor day ( when it blends in with the sky) but you have a lake and forest on your right so its balanced. Oh and room numbering is a pain to get your head around but that is resolved within a few weeks when you become familiar with everything.

Queuing for atm's and the laundrette can be horrendous sometimes but thats why we do it late at night/early in the morning
Reply 8
Original post by Jaredss
...physical biochem on thursdays is just :nothing:)

Hahaha, nobody likes phys biochem :emo: We were doing calculus in it yesterday. Could of cried a bit.
Reply 9
Original post by Lucyyy
Hahaha, nobody likes phys biochem :emo: We were doing calculus in it yesterday. Could of cried a bit.

It was probably the same calculus that we were doing in our group, kinetics and what-not, and do you know when we get our grades ?

I guess not every hour of teaching is going to be rivitting
Reply 10
Original post by Jaredss
It was probably the same calculus that we were doing in our group, kinetics and what-not, and do you know when we get our grades ?

I guess not every hour of teaching is going to be rivitting

We were doing differentiation and intergration, but having a) not done maths for about 3 years, and b) not going to the first half of the lectures, it was all a bit of an effort. And nope, I was told we would get feedback in yesterdays workshop, but nothing..
Reply 11
Original post by Lucyyy
We were doing differentiation and intergration, but having a) not done maths for about 3 years, and b) not going to the first half of the lectures, it was all a bit of an effort. And nope, I was told we would get feedback in yesterdays workshop, but nothing..

Thats the problem a few people have noticed. For our chemistry modules we were apparently put into groups depending on our current chem levels but we sit the same course tests, so people have gone from GCSE to A level/basic undergrad.
Reply 12
Thankyou for being so helpful everyone, certainly putting my mind at rest at least :smile:

Now im facing the task that is looking at accomodation, Can someone give me some tips about the different ones.. I like the look of the twin enquites.. but im wondering if its worth the extra money.. Any tips, where are you guys living? :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by NicebutNic
Thankyou for being so helpful everyone, certainly putting my mind at rest at least :smile:

Now im facing the task that is looking at accomodation, Can someone give me some tips about the different ones.. I like the look of the twin enquites.. but im wondering if its worth the extra money.. Any tips, where are you guys living? :smile:

Hey...I'm a third year ENV at UEA and can recommend the campus en-suite accommodation if you have the money you are either guaranteed a modern or large room. Going for norfolk and suffolk terrace is good as well when else will you be able to say you live in a pyramid!!! although they do get a bit warm when the sun shines on them.

The village is good but the rooms are a little small and its a bit of a walk onto campus for a 9am lecture after and LCR and mary chapman in town is for the quieter student who doesn't mind a 40 minute bus ride every morning although being there you do get and oven not just a convection microwave.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions about anything UEA feel free to ask me :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by NicebutNic
Basically - applied for the science foundation degree. I have a background in business, barely scraping the requirements but I have them, I called them up wrote my personal statement got my reference my UCAS has all been sent off etc.

I just want to rest my mind at ease a little. I applied so that I join in september 2011. Sent my application the 15th of November, that was yesterday. How long do they usually take to get back to you? and do they tell you if they decline you?

Thankyou, Also can anyone tell me if they are in the same boat as me or have been in the same boat? :smile: How hard are these degrees to get onto because I really want to go to UEA, I have my heart set on it. :confused: :colondollar:

Hi, Im on the Science Foundation year at the moment - I must tell you it is a brilliant course and you've made a good decision in picking the UEA!

I'm sure you will be offered a place - there are some people on the course that have never studied Sciences in their life so I think the selection process is more down to the candidates eagerness to learn rather than their previous knowledge etc.

When I applied I believe they replied within the month, but I swear it was sooner, maybe 2 weeks.

In general they give you plenty of help in each lesson - they start from the complete basics and built you up to a-level standard. It is nice to know that maths is set in ability levels so If you struggle you don't have to try and keep up with those that have sat it at a level before. It is very full on though and you need to be prepared to study hard from the first week as the assessments start almost immediately.

Any questions about the course? Im sure I could answer =]

Mogs x
Reply 15
Whats Physics on Foundation like? I've never done it before heard its extremely hard (and very related to maths).

Also will it look wierd that I am applying with a Biology personal statement (as that is what I want to go into).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Honestly, the physics has been the most difficult for me so far, but you can drop it after the first semester so it isnt too bad. I think with the exams they don't just test you on the hardest stuff... like in lectures they have questions ranging from gcse level to A level so if you study you are so unlikely to fail as there are questions for everyone's abilities if you see what I mean? Edit: Forgot to mention the physics you take is actually combined with ICT so it isnt so difficult to get a decent grade

If all else fails they offer TONNES of support ESPECIALLY in Physics and Chem so you will never be left confused =] Not a thing to worry about =]

As for the personal statement I think it might kinda help that it is Biology orientated... shows you have direction with where you want to go. Mine was Environmental Science orientated and I got in fine =]
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Thanks man, best of luck with your studies.

I actually failed AS Chem so I hope they are forgiving.
Reply 18
Original post by Jakelee

Also will it look wierd that I am applying with a Biology personal statement (as that is what I want to go into).

I am in the same boat, doing the IB I could only do one science so I chose biology meaning that most of my uni courses are biology, so my personal statement is biologically related. I am hoping that at foundation I can do chemistry and physics as well :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by xjess1993x
I am in the same boat, doing the IB I could only do one science so I chose biology meaning that most of my uni courses are biology, so my personal statement is biologically related. I am hoping that at foundation I can do chemistry and physics as well :smile:

Woop! Us Foundationers are not alone.

Best of luck and let me know how it goes. :smile: You sent your form off yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending