The Student Room Group

Maths Uni Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spassky
Indeed, yourself?

Yeah, but a bit out of practise at the minute.
I'm in week 9 of my first term and I've already decided I'm going to change my degree to Applied Maths next year.
Reply 5442
Courses so far this term:

Topics in Analysis - Meh
Number Theory - Very boring
Graph Theory - (Comparatively) interesting
Logic and Set Theory - Abstract
Probability and Measure - Should have gone to some lectures (or done Linear Analysis)
Reply 5443
Original post by harr
Courses so far this term:

Topics in Analysis - Meh
Number Theory - Very boring
Graph Theory - (Comparatively) interesting
Logic and Set Theory - Abstract
Probability and Measure - Should have gone to some lectures (or done Linear Analysis)

NT-impressively dull really. haven't paid attention in the last few lectures thanks to that.
Graph theory-currently awful, but up till now, not bad
L+ST-Definitely! Pretty hard to think about..
Galois-Quite nice, but a bit strange..

Does anybody else have pretty much no idea how they're doing at the moment?
I'm handing in more correct bits of example sheets than usual I think, but I fear they might just be easier...
I'm not even a proper maths student (physics is where it's at) but i'm still enjoying it a reasonable amount! That said I pretty much only do applied these days. I don't think I would be able to do remotely well if i wasn't interested.
Just spent a considerable amount of time working out my modules for the next 2 years. Because I didn't take modelling & dynamical systems this year I'm really limited in my choices. Here is my next two years...

Year 3 Semester 1: Metric spaces, algebraic structures, generalised linear models, classical statistical inference, financial markets part 1.

Year 3 Semester 2: Intro to topology, time series, applied stats, financial markets part 2, and either complex analysis or projective geometry.

Year 4 Semester 1: Medical stats, advanced group theory, algebraic topology, measure theory & integration, real & abstract analysis. I might be able to swap out some of the pure depending on unit availability at the time.

Year 4 Semester 2: Bayesian stats, multivariate analysis, stats for biological dynamic modelling, Martingale theory. Again, some may be swapped out.

I can also just spend the whole of year 4 writing a dissertation if I'm in that way inclined...
Original post by spassky
Stick it out with the maths, if anything it'll set you up well for a career to get a maths degree from a good uni. Do the easy stuff, get the 2.1

I figure Cambridge Economics sets me up as well as Cambridge Maths ever did.
Reply 5447
Original post by Hashshashin

If you're talking about banking then yes, Cambridge Economics is the notable exception. Other than that, there is more versatility in a maths degree. A possible indicator of this is the number of application invitational letters from firms sent to final-year mathematicians. We get them not only from the banking and management consultancy firms that economists get but also from technology and engineering consultancy firms.

That said, if I could go back and choose between Economics and Maths again, it would be a lot closer this time round.
Reply 5448
Original post by Hashshashin

If you're talking about banking then yes, Cambridge Economics is the notable exception. Other than that, there is more versatility in a maths degree. A possible indicator of this is the number of application invitational letters sent to final-year mathematicians. We get them not only from the banking and management consultancy firms that economists get but also from technology and engineering consultancy firms.

That said, if I could go back and choose between Economics and Maths again, it would be a lot closer this time round.
I plan to go into academics as I don't want to get a job. Maths isn't fun 70% of the time through.
Original post by Simplicity
I plan to go into academics as I don't want to get a job. Maths isn't fun 70% of the time through.

good. luck.
Original post by DeanK22
good. luck.

For all we know simplicity could become an amazing academic.

I'm sure you'll do fine simples.
The juxtaposition of Simp's last post and his signature is particulary poignant...
Any Bristol freshers have any idea what's going on in Computational?? I'm definitely failing next weeks exam.
Original post by IrrationalNumber
For all we know simplicity could become an amazing academic.

I'm sure you'll do fine simples.

...Really?
Reply 5455
So many things I'd rather be doing than four example sheets all due in on Monday. I mean, seriously, I have a bop costume* I should be preparing!

* lies, I'm probably not going to bother preparing a costume.
Reply 5456
Original post by SimonM
So many things I'd rather be doing than four example sheets all due in on Monday. I mean, seriously, I have a bop costume* I should be preparing!

* lies, I'm probably not going to bother preparing a costume.

Something hastily thrown together on the Saturday afternoon/early evening is obviously the best kind of costume.
Reply 5457
Original post by around
Something hastily thrown together on the Saturday afternoon/early evening is obviously the best kind of costume.

It's tonight, but that's by-the-by

Saturday night is going to be far more fun, juggling two dinners.
I'm planning Raisin Sunday for my academic children... Gonna be mayhem. I was in the daily mail last year for the foam fight :smile:
Exams are soon.

Going to start doing 12 hours of revision starting this Tuesday everyday. Personally I find the work extremely stupid, however I really do need high grades to do a PhD. Anyone else planning to start revision soon?

Quick Reply

Latest