The Student Room Group

Driving a 1.0l car

What's it like?
I'm 17, male. I've heard their extremely difficult to reach decent speeds with.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rsp2009
What's it like?
I'm 17, male. I've heard their extremely difficult to reach decent speeds with.

define decent speed
Reply 2
Well its a 1ltr hairdrier, go figure.

Still, drive it like you stole it and fit a body kit with a phat Ripspeed exhaust and K&N filters and you will increase the horsepower ten fold.
It's obviously a generalisation - we'd need to know more about the car (a 1.0 go kart would be pretty quick).

But it's obvious going to be hugely lacking in terms of horsepower and torque. Obviously you shouldn't expect a huge amount of performance even if you thrash it (but what is your idea of a 'decent speed'?)
Reply 4
Vauxhall Corsa 1.0l, over ten years old, over 70,000 miles.
I'm talking at least 60-70mph on the motorway etc. Will it be a struggle?
Reply 5
Turbo it.
Reply 6
Good luck getting up steep hills with a full load.
Reply 7
Original post by rsp2009
Vauxhall Corsa 1.0l, over ten years old, over 70,000 miles.
I'm talking at least 60-70mph on the motorway etc. Will it be a struggle?

It won't get there easily, it should be able to do those speeds.
Reply 8
I have a 1L new KA, and it's fine aslong as you make sure your in the right gear, (like not too high for the speed as it's very sensitive to this imo) although the steep hills in devon mean i often have to stay in 2nd just to get up them!
Original post by M1F2R3
Turbo it.

And watch your insurance double.

Get a 1.2, the insurance will be a tiny bit higher but it will have a reasonable amount of power. Not loads, obviously, but enough.
I would have thought it would sit at 70mph on the motorway with no real problems (especially motorways which have gentle gradients), but you would quite possibly be revving it quite a bit at that speed
Reply 11
I have a 1.1 and it struggles to cruise at anything faster than 50. Go test drive one and see how you do?
Reply 12
embarrasing. don't get one.
Reply 13
I'm sure the whole car would shake when you go above 50 mph.

Another thing is is that if you're buying a 1 litre car for mpg then don't. Often a 1.5-1.8L car would do better mpg as you don't need to floor the throttle every time you set off from stop to actually move. As for insurane, I think i'm right in believing group 1 cars are group 1 cars and insurance would be cheap no matter the difference in engine capacity.
Reply 14
A 1ltr is not designed to go on motorways, they are city cars...and should stay where they were designed to be.
My 1litre can hit 70 with a full load. It takes a bit of extra time, but for every day use it's fine. If you are on the motorway a lot though, I'd recommend something with a bit more power.
Reply 16
My car is the same and it reaches 70mph oon the motorway fine. It does take longer than other cars, but I wouldn't say it 'struggles'.
Reply 17
Original post by chaz1992
I'm sure the whole car would shake when you go above 50 mph.

Another thing is is that if you're buying a 1 litre car for mpg then don't. Often a 1.5-1.8L car would do better mpg as you don't need to floor the throttle every time you set off from stop to actually move. As for insurane, I think i'm right in believing group 1 cars are group 1 cars and insurance would be cheap no matter the difference in engine capacity.

Why would it shake :confused: Mine will do 75 if I rag the tits off it but it doesn't shake at all. I've had the needle touch 90 coasting down Telegraph Hill into Exeter and it was rock solid all the way. It does 35 or so to the gallon but that's because the engine was designed in the 1950s and I've never had to 'floor the throttle' to get going. You just have to learn to drive a bit slower than with more powerful cars and you never had to rev the nuts off it. Insurance groups aren't the be all and end all. My first car, aged 17, was insurance group 11 and the insurance was cheaper than a Corsa or Saxo.
Reply 18
Original post by Potally_Tissed
And watch your insurance double.

Get a 1.2, the insurance will be a tiny bit higher but it will have a reasonable amount of power. Not loads, obviously, but enough.

Unless you don't declare it.
Reply 19
I have a 1.1 Seicento Sporting. Goes like **** off a stick, can get 100mph out of it. I have done an advanced blue light driving course though so know how to drive properly which prob helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending