The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8140
Original post by Mad Vlad
Raged and Locked.

Ta v.much.

I know I'm backseat modding here, and I shouldn't, but could someone please merge the net neutrality threads? Fragmented opinions on the matter are not good for discussing something VERY important.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Tathrim
Ta v.much.

I know I'm backseat modding here, and I shouldn't, but could someone please merge the net neutrality threads? Fragmented opinions on the matter are not good for discussing something VERY important.

Thanks in advance.

You could always just report the threads?
Reply 8142
Original post by Chrosson
You could always just report the threads?

That's true... :biggrin: :colondollar:
Original post by secretmessages

:mad: It won't go away :mad:

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?
Original post by Tathrim
Ta v.much.

Thanks in advance.

No, feel free! :smile: If you click the report button, we'll get it sorted. :awesome:

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

:mmm: Of course, but it keeps happening and I hate rebooting :frown:
:mmm: Of course, but it keeps happening and I hate rebooting :frown:

I've had this happen to me on a few windows pcs over the years.
[...] go into Windows Performance Options and de-select the option for "Fade out menu items after clicking." In Vista, this is accessed from right clicking My Computer > Properties > Advanced system settings (link on the left) > Advanced (tab) > Performance settings (button) > Visual effects (tab).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/256096-solved-menu-selection-gets-stuck-screen.html
Flawed in numerous ways, but theoretically epic (click for full-size):

Spoiler

You'd have people confusing the two orange phases? :holmes: That is pretty epic.
Sometimes I wonder if Linux advocates are having a nice laugh at the gullible fools who decide to give it a go. How on earth do people see this as a real, usable operating system and a viable alternative to windows/osx. The kernel could be made out of solid gold for all I care, but if the second most used web browser in the world has bugs on (arguably) one of the top 5 distros (opensuse), something is clearly wrong.

Windows may crash (although it never does for me) but at least a) URL autocomplete works consistently and b) middle clicking on something that's not a link doesn't bring up an error message (I mean seriously? Come on...) :colonhash:
And that just scratches the surface.

I consistently hold out hope that some Linux distro will one day become usable out of the box, and it consistently disappoints. I'm not sure how much lower my expectations can get without predicting regressions.

Maybe I'm just really unlucky.

:sigh:
When compiz came out I seem to recall people hailing it as being years ahead of windows and osx. Oh dear. Imagine windows NT with aero. Still fundamentally ****, but with distracting eye candy - I leave you to draw the parallel.
Flawed in numerous ways, but theoretically epic (click for full-size):

Spoiler

Nice.
See, road people got the basic green, yellow, red and then added 'improvements'. Try getting Linux devs to do that and you'd end up with some kind of morphing rotating Rubiks cube that nobody has any ****ing idea what it means or what the signals are. Pretty though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8150
Sometimes I wonder if Linux advocates are having a nice laugh at the gullible fools who decide to give it a go. How on earth do people see this as a real, usable operating system and a viable alternative to windows/osx. The kernel could be made out of solid gold for all I care, but if the second most used web browser in the world has bugs on (arguably) one of the top 5 distros (opensuse), something is clearly wrong.

Windows may crash (although it never does for me) but at least a) URL autocomplete works consistently and b) middle clicking on something that's not a link doesn't bring up an error message (I mean seriously? Come on...) :colonhash:

I consistently hold out hope that some Linux distro will one day become usable out of the box, and it consistently disappoints. I'm not sure how much lower my expectations can get without predicting regressions.

When compiz came out I seem to recall people hailing it as being years ahead of windows and osx. Oh dear. Imagine windows NT with aero. Still fundamentally ****, but with distracting eye candy - I leave you to draw the parallel.

Nice.
See, road people got the basic green, yellow, red and then added 'improvements'. Try getting Linux devs to do that and you'd end up with some kind of morphing rotating Rubiks cube that nobody has any ****ing idea what it means or what the signals are. Pretty though.

I very much agree with you on Linux - though most of the people on my course disagree... However I see that Ubuntu is pretty user friendly these days... Still, I think that Windows is much better in general - it has it's flaws, but it's not as infuriating as Linux. Since upgrading to 7 (excl. beta), I've not had a single crash/bsod etc... and viruses can easily be avoided as long as you don't arse about on the internet downloading anything you find with no protection.
I just found "Chrome Extensions". :facepalm2: Gives me some cool stuff to have a browse through tomorrow. :teeth:
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I just found "Chrome Extensions". :facepalm2: Gives me some cool stuff to have a browse through tomorrow. :teeth:

Welcome to 2009! :awesome:
Reply 8153

Nice.

I used to use Ubuntu as a desktop OS, back in the gap when XP was too gash to really be usable any more, and 7 hadn't been released yet (I think some beta product may have been around at this time, known as "Vista". I gave it a wide berth :p:). Generally it worked quite well, and it was certainly more pleasant than the very old, outdated XP desktop I'd been stuck with up 'till then. GNOME was clear and concise without being too flashy (so long as you pull in the reins on Compiz a bit).

Linux has some nice programs lurking around, but like most things to do with the OS they're disappointingly fragmented. I used Amarok (an excellent media player) and Kopete (an IM client), both of which were designed for KDE, the rival to the GNOME desktop. While they still worked okay, there was a definite sense that they didn't really fit in properly with the rest of the system. Firefox/Thunderbird worked well of course, but being multi-platform again they perhaps weren't as integrated as they should have been.

Still, apt-get is a very nice tool, having a terminal readily available is very neat (I hate PuTTY :colonhash:), and the file structure is a lot simpler (if less obvious) than that of Windows. But I didn't continue using Ubuntu. When Windows 7 came out, I jumped ship. By this time I was relying a lot more on Windows-only programs (Adobe Creative Suite primarily), and Windows 7 had a far, far better interface than the new Ubuntu, which was released about a week after and went horrifically brown. :puke: Plus, it removed a lot of the configurability from the GUI, which to me seems like a step backwards more than anything (I'm sure Canonical calls it "simplicity" :facepalm2:).

Thus ended my brief flirtation with a Linux desktop. It was fun, and better than XP/Vista, but Windows 7 was just far superior in the end. Linux development is so fragmented, and so disconnected from its potential user base, perhaps it'll never reach that quality again. Certainly there seems to be absolutely no hope for the monkeys designing Ubuntu's interface (last time I checked: still horrendous), and anyone even semi-decent with UI design in the Linux world seems to be too busy making endless clones of Windows/OS X UIs (pro tip: if I wanted my desktop to look like Windows/OS X, I'd sodding well use them! :rant:).

Shame really. Maybe I'll just have to get a Mac. :p:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1469290

I need to set up a camera in a room that will record what happens. The camera must not be seen and must also be able to store the information, rather than transmit. The camera must also be waterproof because it needs to be in a bathroom. It has to be small and innocuous so it is not to be seen.

Welcome to 2009! :awesome:

:colonhash:
I have reorganised my bookmarks :sexface:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=28574496#post28574496
Kinda expected the word 'sparta' on the last line actually :mmm:
Reply 8158

My housemate has this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179807

It's rather tasty. I might get one.
Reply 8159
:teehee: