The Student Room Group

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CharlieBee_90
This thread is about the film, so I assumed that's what you were talking about.

If you were talking about the book, everyone's read it by now. :yes:

Book, film what are you on about, I was saying my dog snape died.
Original post by lacelicker
I love Tonks and Lupin!! I like weird couples! - are they in this film?? or had their story been removed?

lol you will be disappointed then - Tonks gets about half a line (she's interrupted) at the beginning and that's it!
Original post by Kinkerz
I'm feeling optimistic about this film now. Very much looking forward to seeing it tomorrow.

Don't... it's awful. I knew I'd be disappointed, but I didn't think I'd spend the entire two hours ranting and raving to my friend next to me.
Reply 403
Original post by hannah.bandanna
Don't... it's awful. I knew I'd be disappointed, but I didn't think I'd spend the entire two hours ranting and raving to my friend next to me.

Exactly how I felt. The whole atmosphere of darkness was lost, in my opinion.
Reply 404
Seen it earlier today. Must say, I was quite disappointed! From seeing the trailer's, I thought it looked brilliant and couldn't wait to see it although I personally thought it was a let down! :frown:

I just hope the second part makes up for it!
Reply 405
Tomorrow!! Can't wait!
Original post by Groat
Exactly how I felt. The whole atmosphere of darkness was lost, in my opinion.

I must ask, did you feel the need to laugh when Dobby died? Because our whole row was in stitches. Plus it felt like they were trying too hard. The script was dreadful, we were ranting throughout the whole film. It was nothing special, once again David Yates has left me with a horrible feeling in my gut.
Reply 407
I thought it was absolutely phenomenal!
meh it was alright, seeing as I was reaaaally looking forward to it, it was... kinda a bit of a let-down. it has just lost the 'magicness' of it in my opinion. I like all the colourful things you see at Hogwarts and you don't even go to there even once (yeah I know it is trying to stay true to the books)
anyway, I still shed a little tear when

Spoiler

Reply 409
Original post by hannah.bandanna
I must ask, did you feel the need to laugh when Dobby died? Because our whole row was in stitches. Plus it felt like they were trying too hard. The script was dreadful, we were ranting throughout the whole film. It was nothing special, once again David Yates has left me with a horrible feeling in my gut.

I though Dobby's persona was nothing like that of the second film, and they seemed to use him too much for comedy purposes. Although I wasn't laughing when he died, it felt a bit awkward!

I thought the scene at Godric's Hollow was awful, there was no sense of urgency or tension as Harry realised that Voldermort was floating back to get him - in fact I don't think we even saw Voldermort in this scene. Malfoy Manor could've been much more emotional, and I feel without the use of crucio on Hermione it was slightly tame.

I don't like to comment on things missed out on the book too much, as I know it's only based on the books, but I would've liked to have seen:

Dudley and Harry's farewell - it seems quite telling of how serious the following events are going to be.

Kreacher's love for Regulus and the story of the locket and his warming to Harry.

The obvious event of Harry disarming Malfoy - as we all know, this is key to the plot yet it seems the film didn't bring focus to this.

(edited 13 years ago)
Best of the lot imo.
Original post by *Star*Guitar*
D'you mean it was converted to 3D afterwards and not shot in 3D?
I've only seen one 3D film and that was Toy Story 3.
So not sure of the difference yet.

If it's not shot in 3D it has to be converted which messes up the quality and makes it really dark.

EDIT: I appear to have been misinformed, nvm.
(edited 13 years ago)
I got back about two hours ago from seeing it. I was really excited as its one of my favourite books of the series and the trailers look fab! I thought it stuck to the story fairly well and had a slightly slower pace than its predecessors, which was refreshing.

However, I do feel that missing out the following was detrimental to the plot:

- Dudley's farewell to Harry
- Kreacher's tale about Regulus and the locket
- Harry's urgency and terror with the Bathilda part when he knows Voldemort is coming
- Harry disarming Malfoy

And the part where the polyjuice potion wears off IN the ministry - it was utterly ridiculous!

However, I did feel that these parts were done very well:

- the chase at the beginning, although it missed out Stan Shunpike
- when Ron rescues Harry and destroys the Horcrux
- the visit to Lovegood (except for the Erumpent Horn)
- Bellatrix's torture of Hermione
- Voldemont claiming the Elder wand was a really good bit to end on
Reply 413
Original post by Cross_Your_Fingers
I got back about two hours ago from seeing it. I was really excited as its one of my favourite books of the series and the trailers look fab! I thought it stuck to the story fairly well and had a slightly slower pace than its predecessors, which was refreshing.

However, I do feel that missing out the following was detrimental to the plot:

- Dudley's farewell to Harry
- Kreacher's tale about Regulus and the locket
- Harry's urgency and terror with the Bathilda part when he knows Voldemort is coming
- Harry disarming Malfoy

And the part where the polyjuice potion wears off IN the ministry - it was utterly ridiculous!

However, I did feel that these parts were done very well:

- the chase at the beginning, although it missed out Stan Shunpike
- when Ron rescues Harry and destroys the Horcrux
- the visit to Lovegood (except for the Erumpent Horn)
- Bellatrix's torture of Hermione
- Voldemont claiming the Elder wand was a really good bit to end on

Your first four points are exactly the same as mine - good to know i'm not the only one complaining.
Original post by Mm_Minty
If it's not shot in 3D it has to be converted which messes up the quality and makes it really dark....it's what happened with the avatar film, apparently.

No Avatar was filmed in 3D.
Original post by lacelicker
I love Tonks and Lupin!! I like weird couples! - are they in this film?? or had their story been removed?

They've got to be in it a bit ready to be killed in the next one.
Actually cant wait to see this - have to wait until next week though, so gonna have a harry p marathon me thinks :biggrin:
Reply 417
I watched it and loved it! :sexface:

'my 10 inch wand... it's nothing special.'
Original post by failingatm
I watched it and loved it! :sexface:

'my 10 inch wand... it's nothing special.'

LOL, I thought it was just me and my friends being immature. am glad to see we were not alone! all the cinema were silent, but we laughed and were like 'oooeer' haha :tongue:
Reply 419
How amazing was the movie! Also Rupert <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending