The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

I've posted a thread few days ago somewhere in the forum as I've some queries. But it's not getting any responses so far.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1467528

Do visit my thread and advise if you've any ideas about my chosen course. Thanks:colone:
Reply 2181
Original post by superkinetic
I've posted a thread few days ago somewhere in the forum as I've some queries. But it's not getting any responses so far.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1467528

Do visit my thread and advise if you've any ideas about my chosen course. Thanks:colone:

Based on my very limited knowledge, I seem to gather that UK universities do not take into account PW and GP. If you are referring to a H1 content-based subject (i.e. H1 Economics, H1 Chemistry, H1 Physics, etc), then yes, especially so if the degree you apply for is closely-related to that H1 subject. But then again, they might ask why you did not choose to do H2/H3 in that case.

As much as I like to say PW/GP are not very important to the UK universities, who will like to have bad grades in these subjects tarnishing the otherwise good academic records in the other subjects?

I am afraid I cannot help you much on the question of which university is good for material science, as well as whether O-level grades play an important role in the application. Maybe you can try the brightsparks forum? You might have a higher chance getting people to reply you on the question of Singapore qualifications.
(edited 13 years ago)
I got a B for GP, C for PW lol
Original post by wkmw
Based on my very limited knowledge, I seem to gather that UK universities do not take into account PW and GP. If you are referring to a H1 content-based subject (i.e. H1 Economics, H1 Chemistry, H1 Physics, etc), then yes, especially so if the degree you apply for is closely-related to that H1 subject. But then again, they might ask why you did not choose to do H2/H3 in that case.

As much as I like to say PW/GP are not very important to the UK universities, who will like to have bad grades in these subjects tarnishing the otherwise good academic records in the other subjects?

I am afraid I cannot help you much on the question of which university is good for material science, as well as whether O-level grades play an important role in the application. Maybe you can try the brightsparks forum? You might have a higher chance getting people to reply you on the question of Singapore qualifications.

Thanks for the confirmation. I've looked through brightsparks and asked my friends and it seems uk places high emphasis on yr 3 best H2 subjects.

Btw I took 4 H2 and for the 4th H2 - which is an art related subject but not econ - I scored quite badly. I hope this grade will have to have minimal complication on my app?

It's tad weird that gp is not that impt as our local unis stress its importance in their app haha:biggrin:
Reply 2184
Original post by superkinetic
Thanks for the confirmation. I've looked through brightsparks and asked my friends and it seems uk places high emphasis on yr 3 best H2 subjects.

Btw I took 4 H2 and for the 4th H2 - which is an art related subject but not econ - I scored quite badly. I hope this grade will have to have minimal complication on my app?

It's tad weird that gp is not that impt as our local unis stress its importance in their app haha:biggrin:

I think it's more than just 3H2s though, especially when more applicants are getting AAA in their best H2 subjects. Warwick, for example, requires Singaporeans to achieve at least Merit in H3 Mathematics when applying for their Mathematics course. H3 became a requirement / prerequisite more than something which boosts your application.

While applications are getting more and more competitive by the year, I doubt they just stop looking at your 3 H2s. So that being said, I am afraid they do look at the other content subjects (which means either a 4th H2, or a H1 content subject).

Just an opinion based on my limited experience and knowledge so far.
Reply 2185
Original post by BrilliantMinds
I got a B for GP, C for PW lol

But still fantastic results you have got there. Doing well in 1 H3 is already not easy, talk about getting 2 Distinctions in 2 H3s!

Good luck in your application!
haha tyco one! :P
Original post by wkmw
I think it's more than just 3H2s though, especially when more applicants are getting AAA in their best H2 subjects. Warwick, for example, requires Singaporeans to achieve at least Merit in H3 Mathematics when applying for their Mathematics course. H3 became a requirement / prerequisite more than something which boosts your application.

Oh ya I read that in brightsparks too. It's because Math, like med, is an over-subscribed course in uk - which is an irony in singapore.

Btw which courses are u guys applying?
Singaporean 6th form student living in england here:biggrin:
nice thread name, hehe, got excited when i say the word kopitiam
While I'm not actually singaporean, I learned English there as a kid and seeing "kopitiam" brought back some good memories. I remember getting a meal for a free at a Hawker center when I came back this summer. The guy at the foodstand called me a "funny ang moh kwee" because I was acting a bit clumsy and luckily for me it was one of the few singlish words I knew, once the guy realized that I understood what he had said I got the meal for free as an apology :biggrin: no hard feelings though, I would have been contemptuous too had I been in his situation.
Weee, Tanglin Trust school! Anybody? No? :biggrin:

Love Singapore, had the privilege of being out there in August for YOG :biggrin:.

Also my mate plays Peter in the Media corp 'Fighting spiders' if anybody watches it? He sends us the Season each year, reminds me so much of Sing. :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
I remember fighting spiders:smile: ive seen the ads actually, didnt watch the actual show, haha, I was in Singapore in august too!!!
Original post by thecatwalk

I'm going to leeds! but for september 2011 entry, just a little excited hah.

alright back to business, i've a few queries which i firmly believe every single of us heading overseas would like to know.

1. Bank

first i would wish to know if there's a bank that commands as much as what we see in DBS in singapore with ATM machine easily accessible or the ATM machine over there are all interlinked which allow any card user to withdraw from any machine.

i've also read another thread that it is more advisable to open it beforehand and HSBC is one of them would that have your ATM/Debit Card/Credit Card & cheque book ready for use on reaching UK. Is HSBC branches frequently seen in england? Are there other banks that i could open an account beforehand?

2. Mobile Phoneline

What are the usual practice? Suspend the current phone in singapore and subscribe to a new phone line in uk? i wish to do occasional calls back our home country, what's the best alternative?

3. VISA

i believe there are plenty of forms for submission to visa application but how long in advance should i go about doing it? would it be too foolish to do it as early as NOW?

is visa application enough? i have read something that's called 'Entry Clearance' from British Mission.

4. Access to Leeds from Airport (pretty dumb, can ignore.)

i believe the way to leeds is to arrive and leeds bradford international airport (LBA) but where do i go about traveling to the university from here? I believe taxi rides are not really economical yea?

5. Leeds student/ student to be

ARE U HERE?
Original post by tanglewire

3. VISA

i believe there are plenty of forms for submission to visa application but how long in advance should i go about doing it? would it be too foolish to do it as early as NOW?

is visa application enough? i have read something that's called 'Entry Clearance' from British Mission.

ARE U HERE?

Hi there. i just completed the visa process. so listen up. and no, u can only apply like a month or so before u're due to enter the UK.
u need the following documents to process the application and you have to make photocopies of them all except for number (4)
1) passport, current and expired
2) original educational certs
3) birth cert
4) passport size photo
5) father & mother's birth cert
6) pay the bank $20 to get them to issue you a bank statement showing proof of funds for 28 consecutive days
7) your CAS which is issued by the uni tat has accepted you

1) complete the online form here http://www.vfs-uk-sg.com/applying.aspx This is known as the VAF9 form.
2) print it out
3) complete the checklist on VFS as well
4) there is another form to fill up as well. the VFS site will guide u.
5) schedule your appointment here. best to get the first slot in the morning. cos the wait is short, like 10 mins and then u'll leave the place in like 20 mins. https://www.vfs.firm.in/sp-apptsystem/appscheduling/appwelcome.aspx
6) bring $484 in cash for the visa application(they do not except NETS)

1) the visa office is located in 138 Robinson Rd on the 7th floor. the building name is The Corporate Office. it is situated beside State Bank of India. go to google maps.
2) they offer a super cool service at an additional charge of $3. they'll sms u immediately once u apply for the visa at their office, once they dispatch your application to KL and then once the visa is approved. definitely worth it!

procedures are bound to change so make sure u're in the know of such developments. and remember, the singapore office does not have the power to issue u the visa. they merely dispatch it to the UK office in KL. so if u forget to bring a document but choose instead the file the application, don't blame the SG staff for the rejection. they're just the middlemen although all the staff there are ladies, apart from the security personnel. LOL! but yeah. the onus is on you to ensure you have all the essential documents.

Good luck and all the best!
Original post by Chad Storm
Hi there. i just completed the visa process. so listen up. and no, u can only apply like a month or so before u're due to enter the UK.
u need the following documents to process the application and you have to make photocopies of them all except for number (4)
1) passport, current and expired
2) original educational certs
3) birth cert
4) passport size photo
5) father & mother's birth cert
6) pay the bank $20 to get them to issue you a bank statement showing proof of funds for 28 consecutive days
7) your CAS which is issued by the uni tat has accepted you

1) complete the online form here http://www.vfs-uk-sg.com/applying.aspx This is known as the VAF9 form.
2) print it out
3) complete the checklist on VFS as well
4) there is another form to fill up as well. the VFS site will guide u.
5) schedule your appointment here. best to get the first slot in the morning. cos the wait is short, like 10 mins and then u'll leave the place in like 20 mins. https://www.vfs.firm.in/sp-apptsystem/appscheduling/appwelcome.aspx
6) bring $484 in cash for the visa application(they do not except NETS)

1) the visa office is located in 138 Robinson Rd on the 7th floor. the building name is The Corporate Office. it is situated beside State Bank of India. go to google maps.
2) they offer a super cool service at an additional charge of $3. they'll sms u immediately once u apply for the visa at their office, once they dispatch your application to KL and then once the visa is approved. definitely worth it!

procedures are bound to change so make sure u're in the know of such developments. and remember, the singapore office does not have the power to issue u the visa. they merely dispatch it to the UK office in KL. so if u forget to bring a document but choose instead the file the application, don't blame the SG staff for the rejection. they're just the middlemen although all the staff there are ladies, apart from the security personnel. LOL! but yeah. the onus is on you to ensure you have all the essential documents.

Good luck and all the best!

this is great help! thanks alot
Reply 2195
Hey guys im currently serving NS and plan to come to uk when I'm done. As my A levels weren't exactly brilliant, I applied to go through the INTO program an got a place at a uni. Is there like anyone else who did the INTO program? I'm kinda keen to know if it's good and hoping if people can tell me about it.

Also, I have a chinese name which I can imagine would be ridiculously difficult to pronounce for the locals. I know people tend to give themselves english names and all but I'm uncomfortable with just giving myself a completely new name after 20 years. I'm not really traditional but it feels weird if you see your friend pop out a name like john or peter from nowhere.
(edited 13 years ago)
i've an interview with oxford next friday...damn nervous lol :s-smilie:
Original post by BrilliantMinds
i've an interview with oxford next friday...damn nervous lol :s-smilie:

anytime between 7-9dec right?:biggrin:
nope the date's 10dec, and the interviews will be hosted by RJC (skype!)
Original post by tanglewire

alright back to business, i've a few queries which i firmly believe every single of us heading overseas would like to know.

1. Bank

first i would wish to know if there's a bank that commands as much as what we see in DBS in singapore with ATM machine easily accessible or the ATM machine over there are all interlinked which allow any card user to withdraw from any machine.

i've also read another thread that it is more advisable to open it beforehand and HSBC is one of them would that have your ATM/Debit Card/Credit Card & cheque book ready for use on reaching UK. Is HSBC branches frequently seen in england? Are there other banks that i could open an account beforehand?

2. Mobile Phoneline

What are the usual practice? Suspend the current phone in singapore and subscribe to a new phone line in uk? i wish to do occasional calls back our home country, what's the best alternative?

3. VISA

4. Access to Leeds from Airport (pretty dumb, can ignore.)

i believe the way to leeds is to arrive and leeds bradford international airport (LBA) but where do i go about traveling to the university from here? I believe taxi rides are not really economical yea?

5. Leeds student/ student to be

ARE U HERE?

leeds???with what grades???

Quick Reply

Latest