The Student Room Group

Driving a 1.0l car

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Wookie42
Fair point, I guess it defeats the object of the exercise if all you're doing is heating everything up - even I know that from my tiny knowledge of these things!

However, I now hate you for owning an S2k and am completely jealous. Closest I've got is sitting in one in the Honda showroom before being hauled out when they quickly realised I was never going to buy one :wink: Jeaaalouuss.

Haha, you are only 18, you will get there. You can pick up a good one for around £6k now so not unreachable. Just the insurance is an absolute killer as they are group 20.

But great cars, very very fast!
Reply 41
Sometimes I think teenagers equipped with a super slow car is more dangerous than having a fast car. Acceleration is essential for driving here.
It'll be fine. Just get used to where in the rev range the power lies and use it to your advantage. Don't expect it to be the best high-speed/motorway cruiser, but it's unlikely to struggle unless it's not been looked after.
Reply 43
Original post by yoyo462001
In my Yaris (1L) I'm in 5th pretty much at 25mph, that way I hardly ever have the car over 1.5k - 2K RPM.

What I mean is going at 60-70 it sounds like he is in third when infact he is in fifth.
Original post by gbduo
A 1ltr is not designed to go on motorways, they are city cars...and should stay where they were designed to be.

testes...

that said given the bloat of the modern small car they probably couldn't do what my nova did and do sheffield to lincoln in under an hour or tow boats at on the motorway at 0.75 leptons
Reply 45
Original post by CJN
What I mean is going at 60-70 it sounds like he is in third when infact he is in fifth.

This is definitely true, I have a friend who drives one and it sounds rather yappy :p:
Original post by gbduo
4.5litre? Which one is that, is that a really old one? Only reason I say is because all Bentleys have used the same 6.75ltr V8 since like the 80s, some were turbocharged. The really new Bentleys use the 6ltr W12 from VW.

I am just thinking the only Bentley that had a 4.5Ltr was probably the Bentley Blower, which was way back in the 30s! I am so jealous if you driven one of them! They are iconic...and worth a fortune! A lot of history with the Bentley Blower!

Nah it isn't an old W.O. Bentley or anything, it's a 1949 Mark VI Special (Alan Padgett). Back in the 50s (and still running up to today in fact) they coachbuilders would take the Mark VI and chop it down, move the engine and radiator back to try and make it a bit streamlined, add an ally body and try and make it a bit more streamlined. To recreate a version of the old 3 litre, 4.5 litre and Birkins Blower Bentleys.

Apparently they are much nicer nice to drive than the original ones (pre Rolls takeover) as you don't have to double de clutch etc. Though of course a Special is a lot cheaper and less prestigious as it is not an original car.

If you want to see some stunning Mark VI look up Bob Petersen Engineering. Here is a picture of what I get to drive on a rare basis.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
Nah it isn't an old W.O. Bentley or anything, it's a 1949 Mark VI Special (Alan Padgett). Back in the 50s (and still running up to today in fact) they coachbuilders would take the Mark VI and chop it down, move the engine and radiator back to try and make it a bit streamlined, add an ally body and try and make it a bit more streamlined. To recreate a version of the old 3 litre, 4.5 litre and Birkins Blower Bentleys.

Apparently they are much nicer nice to drive than the original ones (pre Rolls takeover) as you don't have to double de clutch etc. Though of course a Special is a lot cheaper and less prestigious as it is not an original car.

If you want to see some stunning Mark VI look up Bob Petersen Engineering. Here is a picture of what I get to drive on a rare basis.

That is beautiful! I love old cars and Bentley's are just, wow! So so jealous that you get to drive them about lol!

Sounds like a cool little job!
Reply 48
Original post by miike1234
Haha you remind me of the inbetweeners. Also, a 1.1 Seicento is in no way even slightly fast, it either feels fast to you because you've never driven anything faster or the cars built so badly it feels like you're going twice as fast as you actually are.

Your car has 54bhp (when new) and about 60 Lbft torque, my car has 180 bhp and 295 lbft torque, does 140mph (all stock) and I still wouldn't say that its fast, just average for modern cars.

Its not the car off the Inbetweeners... Thats a Fiat Cinquecento. I have driven cars a lot faster, don't be so patronising. I drive ambulances and rapid response cars under blue light conditions, if you had read my earlier post instead of being so full of yourself then you would have realised this. Trust me, there's a hell of a lot more to it that just flicking the blues on and putting your foot down. I also drive a 1.8 Seat Leon.

I didn't say my car was the fastest in the world. I was simply responding to OP's question about whether a 1.0 car would be sufficient for their day to day needs. This thread isn't an excuse for little boys to start trying to act like men. You might want to bear that in mind, because in your case, you failed miserably.
Reply 49
Original post by Lazaroo
Its not the car off the Inbetweeners... Thats a Fiat Cinquecento. I have driven cars a lot faster, don't be so patronising. I drive ambulances and rapid response cars under blue light conditions, if you had read my earlier post instead of being so full of yourself then you would have realised this. Trust me, there's a hell of a lot more to it that just flicking the blues on and putting your foot down. I also drive a 1.8 Seat Leon.

I didn't say my car was the fastest in the world. I was simply responding to OP's question about whether a 1.0 car would be sufficient for their day to day needs. This thread isn't an excuse for little boys to start trying to act like men. You might want to bear that in mind, because in your case, you failed miserably.

Haha! Well said!
:biggrin:
Reply 50
Original post by gbduo
Haha! Well said!
:biggrin:

:smile:
Reply 51
Original post by LilacTweet
I have a 1L new KA, and it's fine aslong as you make sure your in the right gear, (like not too high for the speed as it's very sensitive to this imo) although the steep hills in devon mean i often have to stay in 2nd just to get up them!

pre 2008 ka got a 1.3 L as the smallest engine
and post 2008 1.2 L as the smallest engine
so how do u manage to have a 1.0 L one!!!
Original post by MR.PINK
pre 2008 ka got a 1.3 L as the smallest engine
and post 2008 1.2 L as the smallest engine
so how do u manage to have a 1.0 L one!!!

It's deffs 1 L brand new style plus, only had it a few months? I don't know much about carrs, but it's deffs 1L and a KA! ahah
Reply 53
Original post by LilacTweet
It's deffs 1 L brand new style plus, only had it a few months? I don't know much about carrs, but it's deffs 1L and a KA! ahah

but, ford dont make ka's with 1.0 L as the smallest engine they fit in is the 1.2 Duratec engine, u might just be mistaken about the exact size of the engine
I have a 1.0L, i've been up to 90mph. Don't back it to overtake well.
Original post by MR.PINK
but, ford dont make ka's with 1.0 L as the smallest engine they fit in is the 1.2 Duratec engine, u might just be mistaken about the exact size of the engine

Ahh okay i know nothing about cars, my dad just said it was a 1L but yeahh i've never even heard of a duratec engine?!
Original post by miike1234
Haha you remind me of the inbetweeners. Also, a 1.1 Seicento is in no way even slightly fast, it either feels fast to you because you've never driven anything faster or the cars built so badly it feels like you're going twice as fast as you actually are.

Your car has 54bhp (when new) and about 60 Lbft torque, my car has 180 bhp and 295 lbft torque, does 140mph (all stock) and I still wouldn't say that its fast, just average for modern cars.

Lol! I drive a cinquecento (yayyyyyyy), I have to admit... once your at 70 it feels like it's trying to run away from you, I don't think that's it's natural speeds... saying that, fortunately the roads around here, even the main ones, you only need to be considering 60/65 and it can cope with that. I can easily drive in 5th at like, 35mph though!
Original post by MR.PINK

It's not a Ford engine, though, else there'd be a 1.2 Fiesta.....

It's a FIAT group engine.
I have a 1.1L Saxo and it lets me get up to 70mph on the motorway in a very reasonable time. It starts shaking when you reach 100, and will not go over 105. So i cruise at 90mph on the motorways.
Original post by gbduo
That is beautiful! I love old cars and Bentley's are just, wow! So so jealous that you get to drive them about lol!

Sounds like a cool little job!

It is great fun but it has it's own problems, like no heating (and you are always outside in it), poor lights, drum brakes, a slipping clutch, you always have a faint smell of petrol after a drive among other things. Though yes, when I get to go for a quick spin it's always a treat.

Quick Reply

Latest