The Student Room Group

Gap Year between GCSE and A level

I am thinking of taking a gap year between year 11 and year 12, i am currently a couple of months in year 12. Do you think it would be worthwhile taking time off till september to engage in work experience???

I am currently studying Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Psychology and General studies. I am not struggling with any subject and could get A's in all of the subjects. Though i would be slightly disapointed with a B. In this time i will also study the AS and A2 of these A levels and retake these subjects again in September 2011, perhaps along with maths.

Any advice would be appreciated.................
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not sure; between GCSE and A level? I don't know whether i'd recommend it to be honest.
Reply 2
Original post by Dededex
I'm not sure; between GCSE and A level? I don't know whether i'd recommend it to be honest.

Thanks for the in depth informative answer.:confused:
Reply 3
Wait until after your A levels, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to take a break before then.
Reply 4
Bad idea really.
Reply 5
Thus far i feel this is a great idea, it will increase my chanxes of getting A*'s at the end of A2, give me more work experience than most applicants. The fact that most of your responses have been brief and vague tells me there is no reason against this gap year.
You've got more open to you when you're 18 than when you're 16. Take it after A levels
Reply 7
Dont be stupid,
1) your going to get out of the mind set of revision and academics
2) Why do you need the break understandable after A2
3) What are you going to be doing?
4) Are you going to want to be in a class with people a year younger than you?
Original post by Keiran:.
Dont be stupid,

All of those are the same Qs one could ask to anyone taking a gap year at any stage in their life.
Are you studying at Sixth Form?
Will your school even let you back in? because I know my school only take new year 12 students whoare just coming from GCSE. If you leave the course, that's it you can't come back.
Tbh, you won't be putting yourself at that much of an advantage. Most other applicants will have work experience from during the summer, half terms,etc and it's more the quality of the work experience. The main thing you should be focused on is getting the grades. Plus, you'd be limited as to what you can do at 16/17. You'll have more options once your 18 so I'd say wait until after your a-levels.
Wait until after your A-levels, you're too young at the moment
i'm not sure. i think it may be a little upsetting that your a whole year behind everyone else. but if you didn't take gap year after a levels then i suppose you'd be in a similar situation to a couple others.
i wouldn't recommend it though. gap years are best left for when you've reached 18 and ready to explore the world.
hi there,

i did it, had a gap year between gsces and alevel and i loved it! then i did my alevels in one year instead of two so that i went to uni when the rest of my friends did. i spent the year travelling, working and volunteering, it gave me the desire to go bk and study and with a much clearer picture of what i wanted. ultimately i believe that it was the experience i gained in that year that got me thro my physio interview and into my course. many of my friends went to that interview with the same academic experience and didnt get in!

i would thoroughly recomment it as long you have a plan for what u want to do with it!

cheers
Reply 13
Original post by Keiran:.
Dont be stupid,

1) No ****ing way!!! I will be living it in my own time, rather than being taught by a bunch of retarded teachers.
2) Its not a break, its to ensure i get A*'s and a ****load of work experience.
3) Work experience in a large variety of places for 10-20 hours a week. Also studying the AS and A2 courses in my relative exam boards in my 5 subjects.
4) I wouldn't mind!!!!
(edited 13 years ago)
Jesus Christ. Why are you even asking this - Judging by your responses, you've made your mind up already.
Reply 15
Original post by graduatedandback
hi there,

i did it, had a gap year between gsces and alevel and i loved it! then i did my alevels in one year instead of two so that i went to uni when the rest of my friends did. i spent the year travelling, working and volunteering, it gave me the desire to go bk and study and with a much clearer picture of what i wanted. ultimately i believe that it was the experience i gained in that year that got me thro my physio interview and into my course. many of my friends went to that interview with the same academic experience and didnt get in!

i would thoroughly recomment it as long you have a plan for what u want to do with it!

cheers

Thanks for the reply, i have the plan:wink:
Reply 16
Original post by JosephRedfern
Jesus Christ. Why are you even asking this - Judging by your responses, you've made your mind up already.

No i have not, i would like to argue the pr's and cons and thus far i feel it is a beneficial thing.
Reply 17
Original post by TheLastDaysOfDisco
Are you studying at Sixth Form?
Will your school even let you back in? because I know my school only take new year 12 students whoare just coming from GCSE. If you leave the course, that's it you can't come back.
Tbh, you won't be putting yourself at that much of an advantage. Most other applicants will have work experience from during the summer, half terms,etc and it's more the quality of the work experience. The main thing you should be focused on is getting the grades. Plus, you'd be limited as to what you can do at 16/17. You'll have more options once your 18 so I'd say wait until after your a-levels.

I am not sure if they would make an exception for me, i would be surprised if they didn't.
Reply 18
I actually feel the opposite. I wish I had taken a gap year between my GCSE's and A levels. I worked so hard for GCSE and felt like I had worked my arse off just to start from scratch somewhere else. It put me in a bad frame of mind for AS levels and I didn't work as hard as I should have. Long story short i'm in my third year. It wasn't until I got a job, took a break and realised that learning is actually fantastic that I got my act together.

Conversely I know many people who did fine first time round, it's down to you. I don't think it would put you at an advantage application wise but if it's what you want to do then go for it, I just know that I appreciated my studies more after some 'life experience'.
Original post by Tesla1993
Thus far i feel this is a great idea, it will increase my chanxes of getting A*'s at the end of A2, give me more work experience than most applicants. The fact that most of your responses have been brief and vague tells me there is no reason against this gap year.

Go take a gap year then, smart ass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending