The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Jazmine

So, was it an interest in Japanese literature that prompted you to apply?

Nah, I want to be able to understand manga/anime without subs.............. :P

But in all seriousness, sort of. I really like looking up things that interest me. So when I started watching anime and all that jazz, I wasn't really content with knowing nothing about the country apart from by the sweets my uncle and aunt used to send us from there when we were little.

Original post by Im_a_cyborg
Don't worry, I had no A level language nor GCSE language :smile: I thought i'd struggle to get an offer but i got all 5, so just show willing in your PS.

I agree its awesome! All must come to Sheffield.... P.S. HIYA OWEN!

fffffffff, Sheffield is my main choice, I really want to go there. I had the same shocker first round with AS as you, I was not cut out for all the sciences together lol. luckily, they gave me another shot and I managed to get an A for English lit. A2, but I still have my History and Physics left. What sort of things did you include in your PS?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Susant
fffffffff, Sheffield is my main choice, I really want to go there. I had the same shocker first round with AS as you, I was not cut out for all the sciences together lol. luckily, they gave me another shot and I managed to get an A for English lit. A2, but I still have my History and Physics left. What sort of things did you include in your PS?

What a coincidence! Well you should be ok, just make sure you mention your AS first attempt in your PS. I did and just said 'because i didn't work' as long as you get the grades in the end. My PS just included why im interested in Japan, mention some literature, pop culture, future aspirations, any experience with Japanese or another language, why i felt suitable etc. So yeah don't be put off by people who are applying with 5 A*s in Chinese, Korean and Mongolian with 5 years spent in Tokyo :tongue:. Unfortunately i was because I didn't know of anyone in my situation so i just hoped id get a place LOL. :rolleyes:
Reply 142
Original post by Susant
Nah, I want to be able to understand manga/anime without subs.............. :P

But in all seriousness, sort of. I really like looking up things that interest me. So when I started watching anime and all that jazz, I wasn't really content with knowing nothing about the country apart from by the sweets my uncle and aunt used to send us from there when we were little.

Heh, I can understand that! I feel the same, but in a more general way about many countries and places. It's hard to learn a lot about countries though! Even one's own country can be a huge blur in many aspects. I wish I had the brain capacity to learn such complex things in a wholesome way... [Sigh] Well, it's great fun, regardless. =)

Ah! Hope I get in. If not straight away.. through Clearing.. through anything else available!!
Reply 143
I'm also intending to study Japanese at Uni. It seems that Sheffield is the place most people are hoping to go to. I've been to open days for both Sheffield and Leeds and to me it seems Leeds is superior. Maybe it's because at the modern languages lecture in Sheffield there wasn't much talk on East Asian Languages, only European ones and seemed to only skim the surface. At Leeds the talks were individual to each language and went into detail about seminars, language teaching as well as the culture and language support with exchange students etc.

Still, I'll most likely be using Sheffield as my insurance option, seeing as Leeds has a quite a high grade requirement (AAB - which is exactly what I'm predicted) seeing as, and not to toot my own horn, but I've already been given conditional offers from both these Universities. :colondollar:

I got into the Japanese language a couple of years ago. No, not through the usual Manga and Anime, but through songs. The language seems elegant, almost musical and the little I've learnt seems to 'click' with me somehow, it's hard to describe.

Hopefully we should be seeing one another at some point in the not too distant future!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Donbar
I'm also intending to study Japanese at Uni. It seems that Sheffield is the place most people are hoping to go to. I've been to open days for both Sheffield and Leeds and to me it seems Leeds is superior. Maybe it's because at the modern languages lecture in Sheffield there wasn't much talk on East Asian Languages, only European ones and seemed to only skim the surface. At Leeds the talks were individual to each language and went into detail about seminars, language teaching as well as the culture and language support with exchange students etc.

Still, I'll most likely be using Sheffield as my insurance option, seeing as Leeds has a quite a high grade requirement (AAB - which is exactly what I'm predicted) seeing as, and not to toot my own horn, but I've already been given conditional offers from both these Universities. :colondollar:

I got into the Japanese language a couple of years ago. No, not through the usual Manga and Anime, but through songs. The language seems elegant, almost musical and the little I've learnt seems to 'click' with me somehow, it's hard to describe.

Hopefully we should be seeing one another at some point in the not too distant future!

When I went to the Sheffield open day they had an individual talk for Japanese o.O Mind you, I went a while ago.

And my Leeds offer is ABB...
Reply 145
Original post by Bella Occhi
When I went to the Sheffield open day they had an individual talk for Japanese o.O Mind you, I went a while ago.

And my Leeds offer is ABB...

I don't recall there being individual talks, but the East Asian Department building was closed for refurbishment at the time so that may have been the reason.

The extra A is down to doing a joint honours (Japanese Studies & Linguistics)
Reply 146
Original post by Donbar

There was a specific talk on east asian languages at Sheffield when I went too, but not at Leeds when I went there. I thought Leeds were rather elitist to be honest, as I have a cousin studying languages there who is very upset because they have cut over a third of their elective modules and their student care is lacking. (In my cousins opinion- she was told that she would have to ensure all her year in Germany on her own with no help or support).
That's not to say that this is the case for Japanese course, nor am I trying to discourage you. Since Leeds and Sheffield are united under the White Rose center, they are both very good in my opinion! Oh and congrats on the offers :smile:
Original post by Donbar
I don't recall there being individual talks, but the East Asian Department building was closed for refurbishment at the time so that may have been the reason.

The extra A is down to doing a joint honours (Japanese Studies & Linguistics)

Oh I see :biggrin: And yeah it was closed for refurbishment when I went as well, we had the talk in a Biology lecture theatre or something.
Reply 148
So what got everyone interested in Japan in the first place?

For me it was all about Shogun: Total War. That game made me trawl wikipedia for information about the sengoku jidai and then I came across Genji and Heian Japan. I was fine not knowing the language and just using translations, until I started hearing it in songs, films and anime. Hearing it makes me want to learn it for some reason. That and about all I can say is 'O Genki desu ka' which doesn't make for a paticularly exciting conversation with your aunt or cousin when the family in Japan phones.
Reply 149
Original post by Susant

For me it was all about Shogun: Total War. That game made me trawl wikipedia for information about the sengoku jidai and then I came across Genji and Heian Japan. I was fine not knowing the language and just using translations, until I started hearing it in songs, films and anime. Hearing it makes me want to learn it for some reason. That and about all I can say is 'O Genki desu ka' which doesn't make for a paticularly exciting conversation with your aunt or cousin when the family in Japan phones.

For me, I came across a scanlation of the Naruto manga by accident, from there in I got into anime, and then into music. I then branched out into history, literature and other areas of interest, but in the beginning it was popular culture! Typical teenage whims to begin with, but now it's more serious.
It's the same for me really, all I have to do is hear the language spoken and it drives me mad wanting to understand it. Something we have in common there!
Reply 150
Original post by Susant

For me, I'd personally say, I am more of a Japanese language lover. 'Cause, although I had books on Japan before getting into the language, I have books on a few countries. =) My interest in Japan itself doesn't stretch too far away from my general interest in cultures (which, don't get me wrong, is very high).

I listen to foreign music and I watched foreign films when I was younger (not so much nowadays). I was learning more about Japanese media at that time. However, funnily enough, I was watching a Swedish film when I first decided I was going to try and tackle Japanese (was reading the subtitles and wishing I didn't have to rely on them). I picked that language because, at the time, I came across it more-so than other languages.

I already knew kana (learnt it 'to get by' on websites), so that was fine. Within a month, I set up a Japanese blog and such, spoke to Japanese folk and yeah! I heavily enjoy learning Japanese, I haven't felt so much joy in studying a language before, so I stuck with it.

As for the culture, well, one of my penpals is quite traditional and he knows a lot about Japanese culture in terms of traditions, holy practices and such. He would teach me the cultural links to the language and teach me about evolved meanings of words (e.g., English words adopted by the Japanese to have completely different meanings). I found it very, very interesting. Eventually, it just made me look up the culture for myself. More modern-day culture though. Then I just delved into my interests. So law, politics, economics and medical topics are what I like to focus on.

So, do any of you know what you want to do with your degrees? - presuming you get in and graduate.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Jazmine
So, do any of you know what you want to do with your degrees? - presuming you get in and graduate.

Something that isn't teaching other than that i'm not sure. People on this course often don't know, even 4th years. Long term less likely thing i want to do is be a screenwriter/director but thats like nothing to do with the degree really. LOL!
Reply 152
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
Something that isn't teaching other than that i'm not sure. People on this course often don't know, even 4th years. Long term less likely thing i want to do is be a screenwriter/director but thats like nothing to do with the degree really. LOL!

Ha ha, yeah. It seems that, generally, not many people doing degrees/wanting to do them know what they want to do with them, anyways! =P A language degree is very broad though, flexible and applicable to many things.

Hey, but that career choice of screenwriter/director could still link in with Japanese. Maybe you could work in Japan doing it! If not, maybe the opportunity will one day come up where you can do your own Japanese subtitles for your film/show. Ha ha! =D Useful. Or do it for other people on the side.
Reply 153
Original post by Susant

The Warring States Period, Oda Nobunanga, Miyamoto Musashi and of course Manga(One Piece FTW)
Reply 154
Original post by Susant
So what got everyone interested in Japan in the first place

It was originally experimental Japanese music for me. My interest's obviously now extended to loads of other areas too though.:biggrin:
Reply 155
Original post by ussumane
The Warring States Period, Oda Nobunanga, Miyamoto Musashi and of course Manga(One Piece FTW)

I'm looking for books on the period, recommend any?

My best friends are OP freaks lol, they keep trying to get me to read it, but too many chapters :rolleyes:. Started at the 2 years later arc instead.
Reply 156
Original post by Jazmine

I'd love to teach, ideally teach english in Japan. I wouldn't rule out other careers, but I already teach people how to ride, and I just love it. I wouldn't mind trying my hand in diplomatic relations either.

Original post by ussumane

One Piece, heck yes.
Reply 157
Original post by juxtai
I'd love to teach, ideally teach english in Japan. I wouldn't rule out other careers, but I already teach people how to ride, and I just love it. I wouldn't mind trying my hand in diplomatic relations either.

Yeah, I suppose you'd see how you felt. Perhaps start with teaching and then maybe later get into Foreign Policy regarding relations between Japan and the UK or something, working for the British Embassy (I think way too much about things!). I met one of the Ministers from the Foreign Office recently, seems to be a pretty interesting job! His knowledge was quite interesting to listen to.

I hear horse-riding isn't too big in Japan, not for serious riders anyways (more like.. family attraction stuff, it sounded like). I heard it's all quite expensive too! Thought I'd mention it, if you want to continue horse-riding stuff once you (hopefully) live there, so you can look up the best places! =P I don't ride horses myself, but my auntie is a horse trainer and such, which somehow means I pick up this kind of information.

Original post by Digeridoo
It was originally experimental Japanese music for me. My interest's obviously now extended to loads of other areas too though.:biggrin:

Ah, interesting! What kind of experimental music? Any particular artists?
Reply 158
Original post by Susant
I'm looking for books on the period, recommend any?

My best friends are OP freaks lol, they keep trying to get me to read it, but too many chapters :rolleyes:. Started at the 2 years later arc instead.

War in Japan 1467-1615 by Stephen Turnbull is the only one I know of :frown:

NO!!!!! Don't start from there, you won't understand nothing, the inside jokes, the reason why one acts the way it does, or the plot itself!

You can start at least when they travel for the first time to Grand Line, you won't understand almost nothing and will give up reading it because of that.

OMG I can't believe you would even skip Robin's arc... or Skypea arc :frown:

yes, I think I am an OP freak too (profile pic related) but once you see the authors genius work you will understand why :tongue:
Reply 159
Original post by Jazmine

Ah, interesting! What kind of experimental music? Any particular artists?

Well, the first time I properly listened to the Japanese language was through stumbling upon a band called Boris several years ago. They jump between all kinds of genres. The Boredoms are another favourite - best live band I've ever seen! Recently been getting into a band called Gonin-ish, who use classical Japanese words and sing about Japanese literature. They're kind of death metal meets jazz meets anime music if that makes sense.:s-smilie: To be honest though I could keep talking about this for quite a while.:wink:

So are you into Japanese music yourself then (any genre)? It's a pretty excellent country for music overall.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending