The Student Room Group

Will plain cigarette packaging make smoking less attractive?

Cigarette packets should have plain packaging to make smoking less attractive, ministers have suggested. Would this be a deterrent?

The government plans to ask retailers to cover up displays of cigarettes so that children are not attracted by the packaging.

The Department of Health is considering the idea of asking tobacco companies to show only basic information and health or picture warnings on their packets.

Would this deter children from starting smoking? Are you a smoker? Are you trying to stop smoking? Would these measures help you? Does packaging help recruit smokers?

More...

Scroll to see replies

i think it probably would on some level. really hard to say though, but bright colours probably do increase the chance of people buying things. (i'm sure there'll be a study somewhere proving me right or wrong).

i dont think theres a huge point seeing as shops are going to have to start taking them off display soon. so the packaging won't make much of a difference

doubling tobacco taxes would have more of an impact.
(edited 13 years ago)
That's ridiculous, anyone wanting to smoke has nothing to do with the packaging.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by pippa90
That's ridiculous, anyone wanting to smoke has nothing to do with the packaging.

This isn't true. Nearly all smokers have a favorite brand, packaging has something to do with that.
Original post by SacreBleu
This isn't true. Nearly all smokers have a favorite brand, packaging has something to do with that.

Their favourite brand would be to do with the taste, not the packaging.
I would've thought that the "SMOKING KILLS" label would make it less attractive, but apparantly not.
Reply 6
Original post by pippa90
Their favourite brand would be to do with the taste, not the packaging.

Packaging is clearly a major factor in brand recognition and loyalty. There really is no room for argument.
Packaging is clearly a major factor in brand recognition and loyalty. There really is no room for argument.

That is the brand itself, not the packaging. I'm not a smoker, so lets talk chocolate. My favourite brand is Mars, but that isn't because of the packaging, it's because in my opinion it tastes the best. If Mars were to change their packaging so it had less attractive colours or graphics, that isn't going to make me buy a different brand of chocolate or stop eating chocolate altogether is it? That is the point of this thread. Yes packaging is important but like I have just shown above it's not going to stop the customer from buying the product, unless it's difficult to open or something. But the OP is talking about the graphics anyway so none of that matters :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by pippa90
That is the brand itself, not the packaging. I'm not a smoker, so lets talk chocolate. My favourite brand is Mars, but that isn't because of the packaging, it's because in my opinion it tastes the best. If Mars were to change their packaging so it had less attractive colours or graphics, that isn't going to make me buy a different brand of chocolate or stop eating chocolate altogether is it? That is the point of this thread. Yes packaging is important but like I have just shown above it's not going to stop the customer from buying the product, unless it's difficult to open or something. But the OP is talking about the graphics anyway so none of that matters :smile:

Just because you don't think you'd stop eating mars if the packaging change, doesn't mean that most people would also follow suit.

Thousands of companies make huge money every year designing and manufacturing packaging for different products, if packaging didn't have that much of an impact then believe me, these packaging companies wouldn't be making so much money.
Just because you don't think you'd stop eating mars if the packaging change, doesn't mean that most people would also follow suit.

Thousands of companies make huge money every year designing and manufacturing packaging for different products, if packaging didn't have that much of an impact then believe me, these packaging companies wouldn't be making so much money.

Fair enough, but would you stop eating <insert favourite branded food here> if they changed their packaging in terms of graphics? If you would then tbh you're pretty shallow :tongue:

I have said that it's important, you aren't listening to me properly. The whole marketing of a brand and the brand concept helps if someone is looking for their first box of cigarettes or if they fancy a change of brand. However, it's not going to make people start smoking in the first place with the packaging that we have in this present day anyway. Some kid walks into a shop and sees that a cigarette packet is red, their favourite colour, and then they decide that they're going to take up smoking just because of this - it's very unlikely that this would happen! That is my point, and that is the point of this thread.
Original post by Have Your Say
Cigarette packets should have plain packaging to make smoking less attractive, ministers have suggested. Would this be a deterrent?

The government plans to ask retailers to cover up displays of cigarettes so that children are not attracted by the packaging.

The Department of Health is considering the idea of asking tobacco companies to show only basic information and health or picture warnings on their packets.

Would this deter children from starting smoking? Are you a smoker? Are you trying to stop smoking? Would these measures help you? Does packaging help recruit smokers?

More...

I seriously doubt it. Maybe to newcomers it may influence them, but those who are already smoking, it won't make a difference to them.
Nah, it will just make them look like ipods.

People love ipods.
Cool, now tobacco companies have saved cash on
a) adverts
b) packaging
Anyone who thinks people start smoking because of a 'shiny' package is an idiot.

If you want to stop people smoking, put more money into educating people BEFORE they cave to peer pressure and ram the point home during primary school.

Although plain boxes and no advertising would make my smokes cheaper.
I don't think it will make a difference at all. Not many children are going to many cigarettes because the packaging is nice - sweets and chocolates come in much more attractive packaging so surely they would just buy them. Ten times cheaper too. If they buy cigarettes, it's because they intended to buy cigarettes, not because they they happen to glimpse the pretty packaging on the shelves.
I'll tell you what will put people off smoking...
...make the cigarrettes come with a free 'smokers lung', lets face it, they dont need it anymore.
I just think it'll make it seem 'edgy'.

Already by pushing smokers outside it's been turned into a little social club. With bland packaging in little evil brown boxes and maybe selling them under the counter, it's just going to make them look even cooler - something disallowed to such an extent. Take it from a smoker, that's why kids start and that's why this won't stop that from happening.
The only possible way to make smoking less appealing is too tax it ever more than it is already. But it brings in too much money to the economy, making it unattractive to potential clients is the last thing the government want.
I'm no psychologist, but I'd say it's unlikely to increase the number of smokers, so if they want to decrease smoking numbers, then it can only really do good.

Personally, although I don't smoke, I'd rather we just left it as it is. Smokers already have health warnings and public area bans, so there's enough of a warning there, and it hardly affects non-smokers, except that the average smoke pays more in taxes than they use from smoking-related illness treatment through the NHS.

Those who wish to smoke will smoke, and little is going to change that except for early education on the dangers and risks involved.
Reply 19
Original post by pippa90

I stopped buying smarties when they decided tubes were out and hexagonal prisms were in though
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending