The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hawiz
I rooted first, then installed "OneClickLagFix" from the android market. And yea, the SGS has some really nice hardware but Samsung have messed something up so it doesn't perform anywhere near it's maximum at stock.

what is the benefits/drawbacks of rooting, i have a galaxy s also and i am getting around ~800. And how would i do it.
Reply 2501
Anyone seen the Advent Vega?

Looks SCHWEEEET!!!
Original post by mprules

Original post by mprules
Anyone seen the Advent Vega?

Looks SCHWEEEET!!!

Yeah I was considering getting one. But I think I'll wait till summer next year since I'll be getting the Desire HD so having a tablet also might not be wise especially since it's unlikely they'll continue to support it.
Reply 2503
Original post by A.galloway
what is the benefits/drawbacks of rooting, i have a galaxy s also and i am getting around ~800. And how would i do it.

Normally you download one click lag fix from the market and that includes the root, it has some instructions with it. However, that didn't work for me as I am with T-mobile (who don't allow new ROMs to be installed), so I used a program called Super One Click . You need Samsung Kies on your pc/mac first though. I'm not too sure about benefits aside from speeding your phone up a lot (and that's down to the lag fix not the root), but a wider range of applications are available to you including screenshot apps etc.
Original post by Hawiz
Normally you download one click lag fix from the market and that includes the root, it has some instructions with it. However, that didn't work for me as I am with T-mobile (who don't allow new ROMs to be installed), so I used a program called Super One Click . You need Samsung Kies on your pc/mac first though. I'm not too sure about benefits aside from speeding your phone up a lot (and that's down to the lag fix not the root), but a wider range of applications are available to you including screenshot apps etc.

...being able to install custom roms? Nandroid backups? Dude, you totally missed the point of rooting :P
Reply 2505
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
...being able to install custom roms? Nandroid backups? Dude, you totally missed the point of rooting :P

Heh, I only did it for the lag fix :dontknow:
Original post by Hawiz
Heh, I only did it for the lag fix :dontknow:

You're missing out :P

You're missing out :P

Seconded, the only thing is having to mess around finding something good. But I suppose thats only because my phone is new, was the same with my HD2. I am on my about 25th flash since friday right now. And thats not including kernels. Thanks god for nandroid.
I've just got a Orange SF to replace my crappy Magic that was really annoying me with it's speeds. I've tried all the latest phones (except the Desire HD which is a little too large for me) and don't like any of them, so the SF will do me nicely for the next 6 months :top:

No idea how to root but it can't be that hard surely?
Original post by G8D
I THINK the one you linked has a UI. Which is better than the messy one I linked :wink:

Wahay! Someone else is stil using MoDaCo! Paul is still better than anyone on XDA... :P
Original post by G8D
I THINK the one you linked has a UI. Which is better than the messy one I linked :wink:

I'm looking at AV Forums and they link to that one. Mine arrives tomorrow so hopefully this newb can root it.
Anyone else have "SwiftKey"? I wanted swype but can't find an APK for it so got swiftkey (using handcent) and now whenever it's set as the text input the keyboard won't stay up - it appears for a few seconds and says it's loading predictions and then hides again. :frown:
Original post by Disconfigured

Original post by Disconfigured
Anyone else have "SwiftKey"? I wanted swype but can't find an APK for it so got swiftkey (using handcent) and now whenever it's set as the text input the keyboard won't stay up - it appears for a few seconds and says it's loading predictions and then hides again. :frown:

Hmm try reinstalling it? but I love swiftkey :smile:
Poweramp > Winamp, but it does eat batteries for the lulz.
Well, now I've got my Mozart, Zune player > anything that android currently has out, but anyway...

Where do you guys see Google going with 2.3 and 3.0?
Original post by G8D
Not tried Poweramp but Winamp is really slick.
My only gripe is the look of the Now Playing page and the widget. But tbh most of the time I use the volume rocker to change songs so I don' look at it too much :colondollar:

Byebye Poweramp hello Winamp.
Original post by G8D
No. It's part of Froyo I think.

EDIT: To clarify, long-pressing the volume rockers skips songs back and forth on whatever app is controlling the media server.
Default/Mixzing/Winamp it doesn't matter.

Ohh :frown: How gay.

Do you know any player on 2.1 has shake to change song or anything like that rather than going on the screen. I can't bloody change song when I'm wearing gloves. :angry:

Edit: I found something called Shake2PlayNext. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by wizard710
Hmm try reinstalling it? but I love swiftkey :smile:

I'm about to give up with my phone to be honest.. signal keeps going (might be weather though), battery is getting worse day by day, messages aren't getting through so having to turn it off and on at least once a day :frown:
Well, now I've got my Mozart, Zune player > anything that android currently has out, but anyway...

Where do you guys see Google going with 2.3 and 3.0?

2.3 we already know a lot about tbh,. linky.

We also know that it's the first proper Google backed tablet centric Android release too, which could, with the UI updates, finally provide a slick challenger to the iPad.

Latest

Trending

Trending