The Student Room Group

Typical interview questions for Computer Science?

I have an interview with Surrey and Manchester, was just wondering.. apart from why you want to study computer science, and what it is, what are some typical interview questions for this course?

any help is appreciated, thanks in advance :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Do you have a life outside of the computer screen?
Reply 2
Any serious responses?
Reply 3
why you want to study computer science at our university?
Reply 4
Original post by taliman
why you want to study computer science at our university?
mentioned that in the OP
Reply 5
Original post by irepislam

Original post by irepislam
I have an interview with Surrey and Manchester, was just wondering.. apart from why you want to study computer science, and what it is, what are some typical interview questions for this course?

any help is appreciated, thanks in advance :biggrin:

Problem solving questions. Have you studied D1 in Maths yet? Or anything like a bubble sort? They might ask you to describe how this works.. Things like that..

Be prepared to answer questions on anything you've stated in your PS. Including books etc.
Logic related question's I'm guessing. Because they don't expect you to have prior knowledge of programming etc. (although it helps).
Reply 7
My interview for manchester was very general, you could guide it in which ever way you wanted. It's also a post offer interview, well it was last year, so it doesn't really make any difference how you do in it. Don't worry about it at all, it's very informal.
Reply 8
Hi I had an interview at manchester last year, but it was more of a walk around the building get given a talk on the content of the course then an interview. That wasnt too stressing the questions were friendly and in no way difficult, dont stress about it I think its so you can get a feel for the place too more than they want to grill you
Reply 9
I had an interview at imperial last year and they only asked my two questions.

The first was a maths one something like:
If I have a normal clock where both the hands are ontop of eachother pointing at the number 3 (ie the time is 3:15 and both hands are ontop of eachother) what is the next time the hands will be positioned ontop of each other.

The second was about the bubble sort, (I told him I did D1 and we got onto sorting).
He asked for me to explain the algorithm. and then once I had explained it he asked me to calculate the complexity of it.

Wasn't too bad.
Are you a virgin?
Did you end up getting an offer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending