The Student Room Group

Japanese Language/studies Applicants For 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Digeridoo

So are you into Japanese music yourself then (any genre)? It's a pretty excellent country for music overall.:smile:

I'm a Japanese music fiend. Jrock to Jpop, it's just all amazing. On that topic is anyone going to the Miyavi world tour in London next year? Or did anyone go to see Gackt back in July?

Original post by Jazmine
Yeah, I suppose you'd see how you felt. Perhaps start with teaching and then maybe later get into Foreign Policy regarding relations between Japan and the UK or something, working for the British Embassy (I think way too much about things!). I met one of the Ministers from the Foreign Office recently, seems to be a pretty interesting job! His knowledge was quite interesting to listen to.

I hear horse-riding isn't too big in Japan, not for serious riders anyways (more like.. family attraction stuff, it sounded like). I heard it's all quite expensive too! Thought I'd mention it, if you want to continue horse-riding stuff once you (hopefully) live there, so you can look up the best places! =P I don't ride horses myself, but my auntie is a horse trainer and such, which somehow means I pick up this kind of information.

Ah, interesting! What kind of experimental music? Any particular artists?

Yeah, I'm interested in too many things really XD politics, human rights affairs, teaching, just everything. I guess you never know where you'll end up really!
I heard that too, and horse riding is such a huge part of my life that I'm not sure I can leave it behind entirely. No matter where you go, it's always going to be expensive though! Hopefully once I'm BHS qualified though, it's a internationally recognized qualification.... Fingers crossed! Thanks for the info =)

Original post by ussumane

yes, I think I am an OP freak too (profile pic related) but once you see the authors genius work you will understand why :tongue:

Oh yeah, One Piece is genius. I can't bring myself to watch the latest few eps though.... :frown:
Reply 161
Well, the first time I properly listened to the Japanese language was through stumbling upon a band called Boris several years ago. They jump between all kinds of genres. The Boredoms are another favourite - best live band I've ever seen! Recently been getting into a band called Gonin-ish, who use classical Japanese words and sing about Japanese literature. They're kind of death metal meets jazz meets anime music if that makes sense.:s-smilie: To be honest though I could keep talking about this for quite a while.:wink:

So are you into Japanese music yourself then (any genre)? It's a pretty excellent country for music overall.:smile:

I'll have to look into all of them when I have the time, cheers for letting me know, x. Death metal meets jazz sounds like SOIL&"PIMP"Sessions too! Do you know them? =) One of my favourite artists. Ha ha, talking about music can indeed be a bit time-consuming at times!

Yeah, I am. I love foreign music, so I've dipped my hand in many countries regarding the topic (and continue to do so). However, I'm most familiar with Japanese music out of all of the places. I don't really find countries too different when it comes to music. As in, for all that is good in Japan, there is some/a lot of bad stuff if you ask me. =P I really don't like their pure cheesy pop music... and I'm a fan of pop and cheesy music!! So, yeah.. I like pop, electronic and jazz music in general. Tokyo Jihen are my favourite group, they're a rock-jazz band. 90% of my MP3 Player for the past month has consisted of their music (the rest is pretty much just -M- AKA Matthieu Chedid, a French rock-electronic artist).

Original post by juxtai
Yeah, I'm interested in too many things really XD politics, human rights affairs, teaching, just everything. I guess you never know where you'll end up really!
I heard that too, and horse riding is such a huge part of my life that I'm not sure I can leave it behind entirely. No matter where you go, it's always going to be expensive though! Hopefully once I'm BHS qualified though, it's a internationally recognized qualification.... Fingers crossed! Thanks for the info =)

Hopefully! I'm sure there must be somewhere where you can work as a teacher or something and also be close to a horse-riding organisation! =)
I didn't get interested in Japan through manga/anime D: I took after-school classes at school for ages and just fell in love with the language and culture.... kanji are so beautiful *_*
Also recent international events have sparked my interest - the international relations within the Pacific Rim are so complex and fascinating ........ Senkoku islands .... *eyeroll*

I like Japanese music though - Utada Hikaru and Yui are awesome :3 I've heard of Gackt but never heard any of their music - what is it like?
I liked Japanese music etc for a long time but didnt decide to learn the language until I was listening to this song on a train

Don't know why. Amazing how little things cause major change.
Reply 164
Original post by *paperstars*
I didn't get interested in Japan through manga/anime D: I took after-school classes at school for ages and just fell in love with the language and culture.... kanji are so beautiful *_*

What prompted you to take after-school classes then? =)

Original post by Im_a_cyborg
I liked Japanese music etc for a long time but didnt decide to learn the language until I was listening to this song on a train

I like/liked two of their songs. "Inryoku" and "Polyrhythm". =D

Their lyrics can seem really fragmented to me sometimes though. Heh, but lyrics aren't exactly always grammatically sound, I guess.
Reply 165
Original post by Jazmine
I'll have to look into all of them when I have the time, cheers for letting me know, x. Death metal meets jazz sounds like SOIL&"PIMP"Sessions too! Do you know them? =) One of my favourite artists. Ha ha, talking about music can indeed be a bit time-consuming at times!

Yeah, I am. I love foreign music, so I've dipped my hand in many countries regarding the topic (and continue to do so). However, I'm most familiar with Japanese music out of all of the places. I don't really find countries too different when it comes to music. As in, for all that is good in Japan, there is some/a lot of bad stuff if you ask me. =P I really don't like their pure cheesy pop music... and I'm a fan of pop and cheesy music!! So, yeah.. I like pop, electronic and jazz music in general. Tokyo Jihen are my favourite group, they're a rock-jazz band. 90% of my MP3 Player for the past month has consisted of their music (the rest is pretty much just -M- AKA Matthieu Chedid, a French rock-electronic artist).

SOIL and PIMP Sessions seem like a lot of fun from what I saw on youtube. :smile: They're much jazzier than Gonin-ish though. Yeah, every country produces a lot of rubbish for every one good group. I'd agree with you about Jpop, but I've never been into pop much so can't really comment :tongue:. I try to listen to many genres, but most of my music falls into some form of rock/metal, industrial or electronica.

Good to see most other applicants are into Japanese music too. :smile: D'espairsRay anyone?
Reply 166
Talking of songs, one of my favourites is probably (well, its not really a japanese genre but-) Tokyo Brass Style:

Probably better brass bands out there, but not cuter:colondollar:

Plus they did a Lupin the Third and Dragonball cover, so I'm won over :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 167
Also recent international events have sparked my interest - the international relations within the Pacific Rim are so complex and fascinating ........ Senkoku islands .... *eyeroll*

I like Japanese music though - Utada Hikaru and Yui are awesome :3 I've heard of Gackt but never heard any of their music - what is it like?

Sounds like a very good way to get interested in the country, at least you know you're committed! There's nowhere to study Japanese around here, so everything I know is what I have learned from self-study. I'm a little worried I'll be behind what everyone else knows.

Love Yui although I don't have much of her music, and I absoloutely adore Gackt, he's a bit silly at times (like refusing entry to one of his concerts unless you were in swimwear), but brilliant voice. He does everything from Rock to pop music, but the older stuff is much more gothic. I'm not really a fan of Utada Hikaru though, not really my type of music :rolleyes:
I do quite like D'espairsRay, but I'm not mad about them to be honest....
Reply 168
Ahh, I like that Tokyo Brass Style, Susant! Reminds me of a group I heard of a while back... I'll edit if I remember their name. EDIT: Pistol Valve. Not really the same, but.. they're an all-girl brass band? Ha ha, mainly a rock group actually.

SOIL and PIMP Sessions seem like a lot of fun from what I saw on youtube. :smile: They're much jazzier than Gonin-ish though. Yeah, every country produces a lot of rubbish for every one good group. I'd agree with you about Jpop, but I've never been into pop much so can't really comment :tongue:. I try to listen to many genres, but most of my music falls into some form of rock/metal, industrial or electronica.

Good to see most other applicants are into Japanese music too. :smile: D'espairsRay anyone?

I don't really like rock (anymore), although I don't rule it out. I'm probably like you, I'm pretty flexible genre-wise.. I'll give stuff a try and I like anything I like, whatever the genre. Ha ha, this is probably as rockiest as I got (YouTube links!):

baroque (Japanese) - I still really, really love that song and "Style". AH. Wonderful.

-M- (French) - Who, as you know, I still listen to. =)

the brilliant green (Japanese) - most of their songs are quite soft, I think. I think they're fun, chose that video to represent that!

CORNELIUS (Japanese) - Although I'd say he's electronic-rock, I think, ha ha.

Queen Adreena (English) - For someone who's headache prone, I actually liked them quite a lot. (They're metal).

My favourite song at the moment is "Himitsu" by Tokyo Jihen. I love~ it. ('Cept, I checked the music video.. HAHA, there's a rap break!! That's not in the song =O Not my one, anyways... or any of their songs?! =O). They do loads of versions of their songs though, their live of this is FAR rockier!!

I dunno what electronica IS! 'Cept I love Bjork and apparently she's electronica?
(edited 13 years ago)
Jazmine
*paperstars*

What prompted you to take after-school classes then? =)

juxtai
I absoloutely adore Gackt, he's a bit silly at times (like refusing entry to one of his concerts unless you were in swimwear), but brilliant voice.

That made me laugh so much aahhahahaha :biggrin:

Jazmine
the brilliant green (Japanese) - most of their songs are quite soft, I think. I think they're fun, chose that video to represent that!

That song was so cute and fluffy ... *squee*
Reply 170
What got me into Japan? I've been 'aware' of Japan for many years, even watching anime and reading manga way before my interest really peaked. What did it for me was the songs.

It was almost 2 years ago, I was browsing Youtube and came across this video:

The one word struck me - kokoro

I'd never heard the word before and yet I felt a connection to it. It encapsulated everything about the human spirit, heart and mind that had no English equivalent. I then noticed another word - afuredasu. We say 'full of love'. The Japanese say 'overflowing with love'. Such a more powerful word. It's then I realised that English is more of a functional language than expressive as Japanese seems to be. Thats when I decided this was a language I really wanted to learn and speak.

Over time I learnt more and more about Japanese culture and history and the more I learnt, the more I wanted to go to experience Japan.

My music interests include:

Japanese Vocaloids - The above song got me into these. The range of vocals and genres is astounding, even for a computerised voice.

Gackt - Same reason as above ^^

Japanese Eurobeat - I just love the pace (DDR ftw ^^)

Jumpstyle - This is the stuff I usually dance to

Also into heavy metal but not really familiar with the Japanese metal scene.

Don't suppose anyone here is familiar with Nico Nico Douga? :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 171
Original post by juxtai

Oh yeah, One Piece is genius. I can't bring myself to watch the latest few eps though.... :frown:

lol me neither. I just read the chapters.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 172
Original post by Im_a_cyborg

They are awesome. Their new single came out just few weeks ago
Reply 173
Original post by Donbar

Don't suppose anyone here is familiar with Nico Nico Douga? :rolleyes:

I am. I got an free account on that website:biggrin:
im applying to sheffield, newcastle, leeds, cardiff and oxford brookes

i havent sent my application off yet, has anyone received offers yet?
Reply 175
I haven't heard back from any of the Universities yet. Sent my application off on the 10th of this month though.

That song was so cute and fluffy ... *squee*

Ha ha, indeed!! I was going to show a more popular song of theirs amongst fans called, "Angel Song ~Ivu no Kane~", but it's not as fun. =) Ha ha

Original post by Donbar
I'd never heard the word before and yet I felt a connection to it. It encapsulated everything about the human spirit, heart and mind that had no English equivalent. I then noticed another word - afuredasu. We say 'full of love'. The Japanese say 'overflowing with love'. Such a more powerful word. It's then I realised that English is more of a functional language than expressive as Japanese seems to be. Thats when I decided this was a language I really wanted to learn and speak.

They say, "Ai ni michiteiru" more often, I thought? Same as, "full of love", I think. E.g., "Ai ni michita kokoro" = a heart filled with love, x. =) I'm sure it's a used phrase, in any case. But I don't dispute that the Japanese might be more poetic about what they choose to say.

Vocaloids! I love this guy called Knowsur, who joined my ex-boyfriend's record label. I was so pleased, x. He uses them sometimes. This (YouTube) and this (Nico Nico) are my favourites song of his! The second one contains a rude/stupid lyric that is repeated. =P But I have the karaoke version, anyways.

I don't use Nico and, for some reason, the videos are only loading a second's worth for me. I dunno why... didn't have this problem before, maybe it's something to do with my updating my operating system. I dunno.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 176
Original post by kimikachan
im applying to sheffield, newcastle, leeds, cardiff and oxford brookes

i havent sent my application off yet, has anyone received offers yet?

I haven't even sent off my application yet, so no :rolleyes:

Original post by Jazmine

Vocaloids! I love this guy called Knowsur, who joined my ex-boyfriend's record label. I was so pleased, x. He uses them sometimes. This (YouTube) and this (Nico Nico) are my favourites song of his! The second one contains a rude/stupid lyric that is repeated. =P But I have the karaoke version, anyways.

lol, I'm in that fandom my favourites by far are Supercell :biggrin:. They went into proffessional singing after Nagi joined, but their Vocaloid songs were really well done in terms of music and art direction. Plus they have my God Miwa Shirow as part of their illustration team :adore:
I do love Nagi's cover of Melt though:

(edited 13 years ago)
Since I don't know any other way to compare universities, can someone please fill me in as to why Japanese Studues is not known to be that great at Oxford Brookes? (I've noticed that Sheffield is a popualar hit)

I looked at the 2nd year units studied at Oxford Brookes and found they sounded more interesting like 'cinema, manga, japanese play, myth & reality' rather than units at Sheffield like 'history, politics and economy & management'.

Actually, I can't even see where interesting culture would fit in in units at Sheffield apart from in 'history' (and i don't do too well at history).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 178
Original post by moonlight_caster
Since I don't know any other way to compare universities, can someone please fill me in as to why Japanese Studues is not known to be that great at Oxford Brookes? (I've noticed that Sheffield is a popualar hit)

I looked at the 2nd year units studied at Oxford Brookes and found they sounded more interesting like 'cinema, manga, japanese play, myth & reality' rather than units at Sheffield like 'history, politics and economy & management'.

Actually, I can't even see where interesting culture would fit in in units at Sheffield apart from in 'history' (and i don't do too well at history).

I'd say (In my opinion, not that I can verify this for sure) that this is probably because Oxford Brookes tends to offer more 'vocational' courses and very much focuses on practical application of the language. They aim for you to have a 'working command' of the language. At any rate, those are two main points that they try to outline in their prospectus.
In comparison, Sheffield is known for having difficult/very academic courses that are perhaps more knowledge based. Brookes is also a relatively new University, and hasn't been around as long as some of the older institutes (and therefore hasn't offered the course for as long as the other Universities); hence the difference in reputation.
Its not necessarily a reflection of how 'good' the course is, if you think you'll enjoy learning the units more at Brookes, then that's all that matters. There's not much point going on a course that you won't enjoy. (Which is why I turned down SOAS for example.)
Hope this helps?
Reply 179
Yup. I've had rejections now, actually. (From Sheffield and Leeds). I'm not disappointed only because I didn't think for a second that I'd get any kind of a look-in from them, only did it to fill my choice slots. =P I really have my heart set on Oxford Brookes. I e-mailed them asking them more about the course and it just sounds more ideal! I like practicality, very much so, and they combine Japanese with Law. It sounds like my kind of place!! Ha ha

Still, when UCAS sends something my way, I nearly get a heart-attack. So nervous that they will reject me too.

Quick Reply

Latest