The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by blahblah16
Applying for French. Have heard nothing and applied the 5th of November. Quite worried...

last year, i applied end of october and heard nothing until march, don't worry!
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 321
Original post by KingMessi
Has anyone got an offer for English yet? I've applied and want one sooooo badly. :frown:

Original post by Muffinz
Nothing so far <3

Nothing for me either! :smile:
Reply 322

Any offers for neuroscience?
Reply 323
Original post by James9876
Again, with 18,000 students I'd be very surprised if you found the student body was overwhelmingly right-wing. I think it's about 1/3 of Bristol's students are from private education, but again I don't think in this day and age that private education is necessarily a precursor to right-wing views. As with the racism issue, at University you're going to find right-wing, left-wing, central, not bothered: every political stance imaginable. You'll also find that, at this level of education, most people are much more open minded about these things. I don't think anyone's political views will impact on your time at University too much.

interesting. are you at bristol now? i've looked around the internet and I gather people basically get the idea that bristol is full of racists from some BBC documentary shown like 15 000 years ago... AND SKINS >:frown: so I mean, I don't think that's still necessarily the case now, right? my dad also said that it's probably different now. people on the internet generally just say to keep out of the bad areas and stick around student populated ones to be safe... that's about the best an asian can do right? Haha thanks for your help!!!
Reply 324
Original post by jinx!
Conditional offer for Social Policy :smile:

oooh congratulations! I got one for social policy too!
Anyone heard anything for Psychology yet?
Original post by coupdefoudre
and i think it goes up to ABB or AAB if you're applying for two languages jointly ?
i love that you speak catalan btw, i'm learning! :smile:

Probably. I've got no idea, tbh.
You are learning Catalan!? Wow, that's weird! But I love it. :smile: I know there are not many resources available to learn Catalan (where are you learning it?), but if you need any help with it, tell me and I'll be more than happy to help. :p:
Reply 327
Original post by siyichen
interesting. are you at bristol now? i've looked around the internet and I gather people basically get the idea that bristol is full of racists from some BBC documentary shown like 15 000 years ago... AND SKINS >:frown: so I mean, I don't think that's still necessarily the case now, right? my dad also said that it's probably different now. people on the internet generally just say to keep out of the bad areas and stick around student populated ones to be safe... that's about the best an asian can do right? Haha thanks for your help!!!

I'm not at Bristol yet (hoping to be!), I've only visited a few times, so don't take what I'm saying as gospel - a Bristol student might come along and disagree with me completely!

I'm sure that, if the BBC documentary was shown a long time ago, it was accurate for that time. However, Britain as a whole is extremely tolerant and cosmopolitan nowadays. There are areas that maintain quite conservative views, and I think the South West is one of those areas, but you'd be in a big city, not out in the sticks. I'm not saying you won't ever encounter racism: you will. You find racists everywhere. I just doubt that in this day and age, in a city, that it will have a significant impact on you. As for Skins: it's a sensationalised teen drama. Please don't use it as a basis for your decision on the university!

"Keep out of the bad areas" is advice that any student can heed, not just Asian students: whether you're in Bristol, Manchester, London, wherever. There are places in all cities that, as a student, you want to try and avoid.

At the end of the day, Bristol is an amazing university. I don't know what other universities you've applied to, but if Bristol is near the top and you get/have an offer to go there, I think you'd be silly to let rumours and hearsay about the city put you off. Go to an Open Day, have a walk around the city and get a feel for the place. Talk to students who are already there. If you're still not happy, then at least you can make your decision on what you've experienced, rather than what people who (probably) don't know what they're talking about.

Best of luck with your decision!
Original post by Corkscrew

Got an Interview for Engineering Design :biggrin:

Anyone else?
Original post by SergioMZ
Probably. I've got no idea, tbh.
You are learning Catalan!? Wow, that's weird! But I love it. :smile: I know there are not many resources available to learn Catalan (where are you learning it?), but if you need any help with it, tell me and I'll be more than happy to help. :p:

good times. haha yeah i know, but a good friend of mine lives in barcelona and got me interested in it..i love it its such a nice language! no theres not, but thanks i might take you up on that! anyway, good luck with all your applications :smile:
Reply 330
Original post by Pheebs1201
Anyone heard anything for Psychology yet?

I just got an offer today for Psychology. I sent off my application on Oct 15th, if you want to know:smile:
Original post by OneInSolidarity
Got an Interview for Engineering Design :biggrin:

Anyone else?

Not yet, congrats tho! Did you get an email or letter?
Original post by SayNoMore

Original post by SayNoMore
Applied for neuroscience :biggrin:
anyone heard anything for this course?

Thank god you're applying! I haven't seen anyone else apart from you apply for this course :smile: I'm applying for neurosci too, and chances are we've applied to the same universities.
let me guess....
manchester, nottingham, ucl, kcl?
Original post by coupdefoudre
good times. haha yeah i know, but a good friend of mine lives in barcelona and got me interested in it..i love it its such a nice language! no theres not, but thanks i might take you up on that! anyway, good luck with all your applications :smile:

Is s/he Spanish or British (or from elsewhere)? The language is quite nice, though it's got some separatist connotations, sometimes. It's the only language used at school, though, so all of us speak it.
Gràcies, bona sort a tu també amb les teves sol·licituds! :biggrin:
(Thank you, good luck to you too with your applications!)

Whenever you wish to, just send me a PM or quote me and whatever you need. :biggrin:
Original post by hello dave
Not yet, congrats tho! Did you get an email or letter?

A letter :smile: Mine is the 1st of December, so if you picked the '18th' then you make have to wait :P
Reply 335
Is anybody going to the Chemistry Interview/Visit day on Thursday? :biggrin:
Reply 336
with regards to whether bristol is left/right wing, it's a real mix. there's some very middle class people i've met who are actually quite "left". it's like anywhere, really.

and concerning racism etc., i can't say i've noticed that much. there's lots of international students, particularly ones from asia, but also from all over the world. for example, in my halls, there's people from south africa, pakistan, togo, china, and holland, and so many more places!
Original post by OneInSolidarity
A letter :smile: Mine is the 1st of December, so if you picked the '18th' then you make have to wait :P

Thanks for letting me know! I hope I hear something soon. Best of luck with your Interview anyway!
Original post by hello dave
Thanks for letting me know! I hope I hear something soon. Best of luck with your Interview anyway!

Post back here if you get one :smile:
Reply 339
Original post by Tasneemo
Thank god you're applying! I haven't seen anyone else apart from you apply for this course :smile: I'm applying for neurosci too, and chances are we've applied to the same universities.
let me guess....
manchester, nottingham, ucl, kcl?

close enough! :smile: manc, kcl, bristol, queen mary (different course), westminster (back up) !
guessing your 1st choice is ucl? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending