The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
I miss academic work, real work is boring and makes me sad.

Can't wait to get back to UCL for my final year :moon:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by paddy
I miss academic work, real work is boring and makes me sad.

Can't wait to get back to UCL for my final year :moon:

Yeah and it doesn't even have any programming in it :p:
Reply 1222
Original post by jamz0770
Yeah and it doesn't even have any programming in it :p:

Pffft, ma programmin grades say it wouldn't be no thang :cool:

Now Software Engineering is another matter, I only scraped a 40 in that, oops :mmm:
Original post by paddy
Pffft, ma programmin grades say it wouldn't be no thang :cool:

Now Software Engineering is another matter, I only scraped a 40 in that, oops :mmm:

Wow, looking forward to that one then :p:
Reply 1224
Wow, looking forward to that one then :p:

In fairness I didn't exactly work my ass off :erm:
Reply 1225
Original post by littleshambles
I have 7,500 words to do by January... What an easy life I lead. Apart from all that Russian work that is never going to get done, ever.

I have another 7,500 to do by then. Even our department admin told me I was mental for doing my courses :lol:

I did 11,500 the week before :p:

Just got that bit of coursework back though and got 80% :biggrin:

Don't belittle me :p: I think I am actually incapable of even writing my own name (1) now without worrying if I've referenced it correctly! But congrats on the 80%, I dream of such marks!

(1) Lizia's Mum and Dad, Lizia, Kent, 1990.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lizia
I have another 7,500 to do by then. Even our department admin told me I was mental for doing my courses :lol:

Don't belittle me :p: I think I am actually incapable of even writing my own name (1) now without worrying if I've referenced it correctly! But congrats on the 80%, I dream of such marks!

(1) Lizia's Mum and Dad, Lizia, Medway, Kent, 1990.

Thanks, I wonder how long it will last though...

Haha, I love it :p:

On a side note (and a totally unrelated one) I'm from Kent too :wink:
Original post by Lizia
I think almost everyone at UCL is either from Kent, London, Surrey or Bucks. :lol:

I think I've only ever been to the castle at Deal, but I'm certain it's nicer than Medway :p:

Haha, probably a fair point :p:

Good ole' Deal castle eh? I'm pretty sure every school trip I ever went on was to Deal or Dover castle :frown:.

Medway's not that bad :p:

It was funny, when I went home for reading week, it seemed so so quiet. I didn't hear a siren for about 4 days! :p:
Original post by Lizia
I must have been to Rochester and Canterbury Cathedrals about six million times. We once went as far as Dover and it was so exotic! :redface: And of course, when we did the mantatory Dover-Calais trip our little minds were blown at the foreign glamour!

Medway in general is appalling, although I live in one of the nicer parts. I know what you mean about sirens though. And I always nearly get run over at home because there's not the miles of static traffic to weave through while crossing the road that London has, and I'm too lazy to wait at the traffic lights.

Ah, I've been to Canterbury cathedral but not Rochester. Haha the words Dover and Exotic should not be in the same phrase :p:

Dover-calais is pretty exciting as school kids, causing mahem on the ferries :p:

Yeah, its just pretty weird in general going home its so different to London in every way, drinks at the pub seem really expensive compared to the union :biggrin:
Original post by Lizia
I think almost everyone at UCL is either from Kent, London, Surrey or Bucks. :lol:

Or Birmingham (met quite a few)! I'm having a hard time finding anyone from as far north as I am (Liverpool). When I go home everyone's been commenting on how my accent is turning "posh". I didn't have much a strong scouce accent to begin with, but the South is corrupting me! XD
Reply 1230
Original post by a headless chicken
Or Birmingham (met quite a few)! I'm having a hard time finding anyone from as far north as I am (Liverpool). When I go home everyone's been commenting on how my accent is turning "posh". I didn't have much a strong scouce accent to begin with, but the South is corrupting me! XD

In one of our lectures the other week, we were talking about accents and dialects. The lecturer asked us to put our hands up if we were from North of Cambridge. In a class of maybe 35, three people put their hands up :lol:
Ten page summary of Louis XIV's reign in for Thursday. Naturally entirely in French.

How I long to be homeward bound :moon:
Reply 1232
Uni was covered in graffiti relating to the student protests today!
If anyone's up for spending 45 minutes of their life in a lab in the Roberts Building with two hot chicks and a chocolate/macaroon/sweets buffet, please, please, please sign up for the study called "Simple Word Search Study" on here http://uclpsychology.sona-systems.com/, or if you don't have an account/can't be bothered to register for an account, send me a message!

You have NO IDEA how grateful I'd be for any help at all. My 3rd year dissertation depends on this!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by u4m1r

This action has made me ashamed to be a UCL student. It's gone too far now, it has disrupted student activities and they have defaced a war memorial with their propaganda (whilst they were drunk might I add)

The whole think is a satire - a moccupation…

http://www.facebook.com/pages/No-ifs-no-buts-this-occupation-sucks/172862326072135
Original post by u4m1r

I was really angry about the graffiti! I mean actually the occupation was very well organised and carried out, but the graffiti makes no impact except for annoying the the people in UCL clamping down on the occupation as it just crossed the line. Graffiti on your own uni really shows how much you care.
Original post by littlebee2
I was really angry about the graffiti! I mean actually the occupation was very well organised and carried out, but the graffiti makes no impact except for annoying the the people in UCL clamping down on the occupation as it just crossed the line. Graffiti on your own uni really shows how much you care.

I totally agree, I have no idea why UCL doesn't tell them to leave and send them the bill for damages and increased expenditure on security. UCL probably has spent upwards of 100,000k on extra staff already as well as losing revenue from renting the room out! Surely UCL can just ask them to leave or cancel their degree if they dont!
Graffiti sucks, especially on a war memorial.
No it has not spent £100,000 on extra staff. Who are, by the way, on really ****ty conditions: not our fault, but UCL's.
The chalk was a profoundly stupid idea, but in the grand scheme of things, unimportant.
The student activities disrupted are regrettable but UCL management has made much more of an effort to disrupt student activities than we have by i) closing down rooms we're not even near, let alone in, to student society use ii) checking IDs all over campus to no end other than harassment.
We really wish we were causing less disruption to students than we are, and we have tried to accommodate societies who wanted to use the space as much as possible. If the occupation did not cause disruption and cost management then there would be no point to it.
Overall, however, I think the stuff that has gone on in the occupation during the last week was absolutely more than worth it. Some things are more important than the musical society's rehearsal and minor corporate conferences.
On the grand scheme of things I agree with you. Obviously I'm not at home at the moment and don't know first hand what's going on, but this is an important cause that should be fought to the death.

I said the same about my department restructuring which happened last year, but obviously authority ruled the roost there. This time it won't be so lucky.

Would just also like to add that the Deputy Prime Minister is the biggest bull****ter of the decade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending