The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6880
Original post by inksplodge
My manager wants new years eve off but is expecting us to work that night. Erm, no. You want a shift then you had better be there!

My manager is being made to run the store on Christmas Day/Night.
Original post by Foulish
My manager is being made to run the store on Christmas Day/Night.

uncool. as far as i know we have xmas eve and xmas night off. no way could they get anyone in - we're only a small store anyway
Original post by Foulish
Unless there are restrictions on there operating hours(?) (I know some stores can only trade for a certain amount of hours on certain days due to some church rules or something), most stores will be open Boxing Day. I bet head office/careline staff get the day off though "/

Want to bet? Last year some online retailers started the January sales on Christmas Evening!

I've worked in other parts of retail and, fair enough, Boxing Day for them is as busy as the pre-Christmas rush, if not more so. However, I simply cannot imagine that a supermarket gets that busy. I mean, people will have bought lots in for Christmas and I don't think supermarkets really do the 'big' post-Christmas sale. Do they?

I guess it depends on the store/manager if people can get the time off. There are always people willing to work though, so they might get lucky. I know a lot of the staff at my store want to work all of Christmas and NY - meaning I get NY's day off, thankfully. :smile:
I need to work Christmas eve, boxing day putting up all the new advertising for the sales. Not looking forward to it
Reply 6884
uncool. as far as i know we have xmas eve and xmas night off. no way could they get anyone in - we're only a small store anyway

My store is an ex-Savacenter.

We do however close at 7pm on xmas eve- rather than 12am (Since it is a friday).

Fridays I normally get out at 1am :biggrin:
I just think it's sad that a supermarket can't shut for just two days over christmas and new year.
Original post by charlottejepsonx
I just think it's sad that a supermarket can't shut for just two days over christmas and new year.

I agree. If people are really desperate for something, there are usually small independent shops who decide to open anyway. I know of a few where I live that are open on Christmas Day, because the owners do not celebrate [they are closed on other days of the year, for their own religious festivals]. :smile:

I assume everyone who is down to work Christmas Day has had to book it off? I have never heard of that before, considering the store will be closed, but that is what I have been told to do by my manager...
Yeah I think I'm working Boxing day night, total ball ache. Oh and New Years Day night I think
Original post by drakesdrum
Yeah I think I'm working Boxing day night, total ball ache. Oh and New Years Day night I think

new years day was boring- we didn't get a drop. the following night however we got two. i hated life that night ahah
Reply 6889
Original post by charlottejepsonx

They wouldn't if they weren't making money out of it.
Been working at the Sainsbury's local for awhile now and like it a million times more than night shift. Was definitely worth switching.

I hate IDing people, though. I had one lady who came with someone who I think was her granddaughter, who looked about 15. She asked the young girl "Which ones were they?" and she replied with "[cigarette brand]" and then asked me for them... so I said I can't sell you these unless the young lady has ID. The older lady was not happy with me at all and had a go at me. I did the right thing though, right? It seemed almost obvious that she was buying them on her behalf.
Reply 6891
Original post by affinity89
I agree. If people are really desperate for something, there are usually small independent shops who decide to open anyway. I know of a few where I live that are open on Christmas Day, because the owners do not celebrate [they are closed on other days of the year, for their own religious festivals]. :smile:

I assume everyone who is down to work Christmas Day has had to book it off? I have never heard of that before, considering the store will be closed, but that is what I have been told to do by my manager...

Last year I just did the hours earliar in the week, but this year their they want us to book it off "/
Reply 6892
Original post by tykkylumi
Been working at the Sainsbury's local for awhile now and like it a million times more than night shift. Was definitely worth switching.

I hate IDing people, though. I had one lady who came with someone who I think was her granddaughter, who looked about 15. She asked the young girl "Which ones were they?" and she replied with "[cigarette brand]" and then asked me for them... so I said I can't sell you these unless the young lady has ID. The older lady was not happy with me at all and had a go at me. I did the right thing though, right? It seemed almost obvious that she was buying them on her behalf.

You did the right thing by Sainsbury's policy. However, I think the law states that you are not liable if the woman passes the age restricted items over (Don't quote me on that, i'm not a lawyer).
Original post by Foulish
You did the right thing by Sainsbury's policy. However, I think the law states that you are not liable if the woman passes the age restricted items over (Don't quote me on that, i'm not a lawyer).

I think with Alcohol if you had any reason to suspect it was for the girl then selling it to the woman is against the law. I was told with cigarettes that the government hadn't applied the same law so its not actually illegal for an adult to buy cigarettes for someone under 18. Not 100% sure on that though.

As you say though if you did sell it you would be going against Sainsburys policy.
i would say cover your own back - if the customer doesn't like it then tough.
Reply 6895
On the topic of Christmas...

In my old store all colleagues contracted to work on Christmas Day automatically had their shifts covered by using hours from their holiday entitlement.

This year in my current store, I chose to book it off because I wasn't given it automatically but was told a few days ago that the manager wants all colleagues to work the hours elsewhere in the week :frown:

Great! Thats my Christmas Eve sorted then! (Don't usually work Fridays) Not to mention Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day.
Original post by dj20
On the topic of Christmas...

In my old store all colleagues contracted to work on Christmas Day automatically had their shifts covered by using hours from their holiday entitlement.

This year in my current store, I chose to book it off because I wasn't given it automatically but was told a few days ago that the manager wants all colleagues to work the hours elsewhere in the week :frown:

Great! Thats my Christmas Eve sorted then! (Don't usually work Fridays) Not to mention Boxing Day, New Years Eve and New Years Day.

:frown: Any chance you could book all the other days as holiday too?:biggrin: They can't force people to work that week if it's booked off as holiday, surely? Because believe it or not Sainsbury's, lots of people do actually go on a proper holiday at that time of year...
i'll be doing my days elsewhere in the week, i think. i've been told they want us to work part of xmas eve, i think 4 until 10. no thank you. we aren't open til 27th dec (i think, we weren't open last year anyway) so it seems stupid when there will be a shift on 26th.
(edited 13 years ago)
i'll be doing my days elsewhere in the week, i think. i've been told they want us to work part of xmas eve, i think 4 until 10. no thank you. we aren't open til 27th dec (i think, we weren't open last year anyway) so it seems stupid when there will be a shift on 26th.

Erghh. Sounds criminal to me:holmes:
Inksplodge may I ask what sort of times you sleep over the week? My sleeping was completely fine for the first few weeks but I've struggled these past couple to get sleep. Despite being awake for 24 hours I only slept 3 hours last night. Doesn't really affect me once I'm working but it's annoying in time off

Latest

Trending

Trending