The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SergioMZ
I would translate 'I want you to make me feel like I'm the only girl in the world' to Spanish as "Quiero que me hagas sentir como si fuese (as you said) la única chica en el mundo", aunque el "quiero que" no se usa demasiado en castellano. Yo diría "hazme sentir la única mujer en el mundo entero". Claro que tampoco se puede traducir del todo...
En francés, diría "je veux que tu fasses me sentir comme si j'étais l'unique fille au monde".
But I'm not native in French, so I'm not as sure.

Wouldn't it be 'la seule fille DU monde'?
Original post by Asha5692
Wouldn't it be 'la seule fille DU monde'?

I would say "unique" instead of "seule". "Seule" may not sound bad, but "unique" is better. For all Latin-based languages.
And no, I'd say "au" rather than "du". Because the girl is IN the world, au, therefore. I'd either say "del mundo" or "en el mundo" in Spanish, but in French, "au" sounds better than "du".
Reply 7602
I would say "unique" instead of "seule". "Seule" may not sound bad, but "unique" is better. For all Latin-based languages.
And no, I'd say "au" rather than "du". Because the girl is IN the world, au, therefore. I'd either say "del mundo" or "en el mundo" in Spanish, but in French, "au" sounds better than "du".

Au monde, yeah, though I wonder why you say "unique" is better than "seul" in latin-based languages as though it was a general truth.
Original post by Xurvi
Au monde, yeah, though I wonder why you say "unique" is better than "seul" in latin-based languages as though it was a general truth.

If 'X is the only Y in Z', then you will translate that by unique in French, unico/a in Italian, único/a in Spanish, únic/a in Catalan, and so on.
Both are used in French and Italian (though it is true that unique sounds better, to me at least), but 'unique' is more widely used.
In Spanish and Catalan, I can assure you that "sol/o/a" is not correct, and even if it were, nobody uses it.
I'd say "unique" at all times, you are ensured to sound right, in whatever Latin-based language you try to speak, while you might have problems with the other ones.

Then again, if you prefer "seule", off you go. Like the title of this thread says, I was just trying to help.
Reply 7604
If 'X is the only Y in Z', then you will translate that by unique in French, unico/a in Italian, único/a in Spanish, únic/a in Catalan, and so on.
Both are used in French and Italian (though it is true that unique sounds better, to me at least), but 'unique' is more widely used.
In Spanish and Catalan, I can assure you that "sol/o/a" is not correct, and even if it were, nobody uses it.
I'd say "unique" at all times, you are ensured to sound right, in whatever Latin-based language you try to speak, while you might have problems with the other ones.

Then again, if you prefer "seule", off you go. Like the title of this thread says, I was just trying to help.

Well, see, in French "seul" is used much more spontaneously than "unique". Unique actually sound a bit more stilted than seul.
Original post by Xurvi
Well, see, in French "seul" is used much more spontaneously than "unique". Unique actually sound a bit more stilted than seul.

Okay.
Reply 7606
How do you say "see you on Monday" in pinyin Mandarin?
Reply 7607
I have to agree with Xurvi about unique and seul...
I wan to say in French - happiness is what when we are content with what we have
My attempt - but I know it's wrong
Le bonheur, c'est etre satisfait de ce que nous avons/on a.....
Reply 7609
Original post by Brightstar
I wan to say in French - happiness is what when we are content with what we have
My attempt - but I know it's wrong
Le bonheur, c'est etre satisfait de ce que nous avons/on a.....

No, that's correct. You're only missing the accent on être. On would be better as you would have an impersonal sentence then. "de ce que l'on a" sounds more formal/stilted if you want, though it might actually be incorrect to add the l'.
Another plea for someone to come forward as a group leader, please.
Reply 7611
Need help with Portuguese? hit me up :biggrin:
Curious as to whether someone could iron this out for me. I'm half-learning Finnish (that is, I'm not really putting my all into it just yet since it's not a priority for my degree). Anyway, I've just started making a Finnish language playlist on Spotify, and to fit with my other foreign playlists I was going to give it the title "Finnish songs" but in Finnish. I'm still shaky on cases, as this is the first case based language I've ever attempted, so could anyone help?

Currently, I have it as suomalaiset laulut. But that's just two genitive plurals in a row - Finnish (n.m.pl gen) songs (n.m.pl. gen) - and probably refers to Finnish people and songs, rather than 'songs in Finnish'. So, can anyone help? :smile:
Thanks everyone for your help.

I need someone who's FLUENT in Spanish to translate this paragraph, whilst maintaining the meaning, into Spanish for my CV:

After having successfully completed secondary education in a wide range of areas, I am quite keen on delving into the world of work in order to launch my goals for later on in life. I wish to explore my interpersonal and language skills further, both inside and outside of my current fields. I have a strong desire to help and guide people, which at present, has led me to believe that employment in any field involving contact with the general public would take into account my passions along with my skills. My ultimate goal is to obtain a Bachelor’s degree and eventually a Master’s and a PHD.

Please only respond if you're certain.
Original post by Asha5692
Thanks everyone for your help.

I need someone who's FLUENT in Spanish to translate this paragraph, whilst maintaining the meaning, into Spanish for my CV:

After having successfully completed secondary education in a wide range of areas, I am quite keen on delving into the world of work in order to launch my goals for later on in life. I wish to explore my interpersonal and language skills further, both inside and outside of my current fields. I have a strong desire to help and guide people, which at present, has led me to believe that employment in any field involving contact with the general public would take into account my passions along with my skills. My ultimate goal is to obtain a Bachelor’s degree and eventually a Master’s and a PHD.

Please only respond if you're certain.

I am a native speaker... does that count?

Después de haber completado con éxito mi educación secundaria en un amplio rango de disciplinas, tengo muchas ganas de introducirme en el mundo laboral para poder lanzar mi carrera profesional y cumplir mis objetivos para más adelante. Deseo explorar más a fondo mis habilidades lingüísticas e interpersonales, tanto dentro como fuera de mis áreas de trabajo actuales. Es mi deseo ayudar y guiar a gente, algo que me ha llevado a creer que en este momento un empleo en cualquier área que conlleve contacto con el público general tendría en cuenta mis habilidades y también mis pasiones. Mi último objetivo es obtener una carrera y después un máster y un doctorado.

This flourished language is seldom used in Spanish, at least in Spain, but the translation, trying to flourish a bit (not as much as it is in English, it sounds really bad translated), would be something like this.
This is Castilian Spanish, though, if you want Latin American Spanish, some things would have to be changed (though they will understand anyway). It's like, e.g., if you said in Britain "I want to get a degree" and in America "I want to go to college". It's different, but everyone will understand.
Good luck.
Reply 7615
I can help with Norwegian/Swedish (and some French) too.
Could someone please translate this into French for me :

In my opinion, the best type of vacations are ones that are adventurous and energetic. Adventure holidays give us the chance to do something different that you wouldn't do normally. They create opportunities for people to try something new and experience different things in their life. For example, you wouldn't plan on bungee jumping of the Golden Gate bridge everyday would you? They are an escape from everyday life and the stress that people face daily. Everyone deserves a break and adventure holidays may just bring some joy and excitement to one's life
Reply 7617
Original post by aliakhtar
Could someone please translate this into French for me :

In my opinion, the best type of vacations are ones that are adventurous and energetic. Adventure holidays give us the chance to do something different that you wouldn't do normally. They create opportunities for people to try something new and experience different things in their life. For example, you wouldn't plan on bungee jumping of the Golden Gate bridge everyday would you? They are an escape from everyday life and the stress that people face daily. Everyone deserves a break and adventure holidays may just bring some joy and excitement to one's life

Have you tried translating it yourself? It's quite complex.
I did try but some parts I really couldn't do without changing the meaning. That's why I'm hoping someone can help?
Original post by Xurvi
Have you tried translating it yourself? It's quite complex.

I did.. I really want that A* in GCSE so I thought I'd make it really complex to get the best mark. Now, I can't put it into French without losing the complexity and making it simple. I tried Google Translate but I have no trust in it. This is what it came out with :

À mon avis, le meilleur type de vacances sont ceux qui sont aventureux et énergique. Vacances aventure nous donner la chance de faire quelque chose de différent que vous ne feriez pas normalement. Ils créent des opportunités pour les gens à essayer quelque chose de nouveau et de l'expérience des choses différentes dans leur vie. Par exemple, vous ne seriez pas l'intention de saut à l'élastique du pont Golden Gate de tous les jours voulez-vous? Ils sont une évasion de la vie quotidienne et le stress que les gens font face quotidiennement. Tout le monde mérite des vacances d'aventure peuvent se briser et juste apporter un peu de joie et d'excitation à la vie

I can see a lot of mistakes in it. Can anyone translate a better version for me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending