The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpamBa
I don't even know HOW to steer. Or how to turn the boat. I'm even worreid I'll mix up stroke and bow :s-smilie:

Just remember the guy directly in front of you is on strokeside. Unless its bow-rigged...
Reply 661
Original post by SpamBa
I don't even know HOW to steer. Or how to turn the boat. I'm even worreid I'll mix up stroke and bow :s-smilie:

If the oar is on your left, it's stroke side.

If it's on your right, bow side.
We've got a challenge at work to row 10,000m with 10 people in the fastest time, with each person having to do at least 500m. We've got a team of varying ability, with one on a 500 sprint time around 1min30 and others around 2mins.

What do you lot think's the best approach to take?
Original post by MackaBizzle
We've got a challenge at work to row 10,000m with 10 people in the fastest time, with each person having to do at least 500m. We've got a team of varying ability, with one on a 500 sprint time around 1min30 and others around 2mins.

What do you lot think's the best approach to take?

The records are usually set with people just rolling on and off for like 10-15 strokes with 2 people holding the others feet down. You might want to adjust how many strokes each person takes based on how good they are though. Also do a bit of training to get a few of those 2:00 splits down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2_stWLtGfc

have a look at this. changeovers need to be very slick too.
dobbs
x

Any tips for rutherford head or just rowing on the tyne in general? How many layers do I need!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 665
Original post by partoftheweekend
Any tips for rutherford head or just rowing on the tyne in general? How many layers do I need!

Plenty of layers! From the sound of it, the weather's going to be extremely cold - however the bonus of this is that cold weather brings ideal water conditions, so it's likely to be nice and flat!

But yes, you will need loads of layers at the start area because you'll probably have to wait for ages, it's a big event!

What are you racing in? I'm guessing an 8? Tips - not sure what to say really, other than when you go under the bridge near the finish, you should really be taking it up for the end (last 2 minutes or so) so really start emptying the tanks then.

Check what the tides doing - if it's coming in, get your cox to get to the middle of the river; if it's going out, make sure they stick to the edges.

Other than that, do your best! Hah :smile:
Original post by dobbs
Plenty of layers! From the sound of it, the weather's going to be extremely cold - however the bonus of this is that cold weather brings ideal water conditions, so it's likely to be nice and flat!

But yes, you will need loads of layers at the start area because you'll probably have to wait for ages, it's a big event!

What are you racing in? I'm guessing an 8? Tips - not sure what to say really, other than when you go under the bridge near the finish, you should really be taking it up for the end (last 2 minutes or so) so really start emptying the tanks then.

Check what the tides doing - if it's coming in, get your cox to get to the middle of the river; if it's going out, make sure they stick to the edges.

Other than that, do your best! Hah :smile:

Yeah in the 8's, its a pretty stacked entry so should be quite interesting. Never done a head race off the tideway as well so its going to be a learning experience too. If were going off early we shouldnt be hanging around too long right?
Reply 667
Yeah in the 8's, its a pretty stacked entry so should be quite interesting. Never done a head race off the tideway as well so its going to be a learning experience too. If were going off early we shouldnt be hanging around too long right?

Depends what order they boat you in - if you're going off early you may have to be one of the earlier ones to boat in the first place, otherwise they'd be boating singles early and they'd be sitting around for AGES at the start line (literally hours) and singles are the people who can not afford to carry as many layers with them.

Shouldn't be too long hopefully, but I'd expect at the very least 30-45mins of marshalling.

My friend is coxing one of your boats. She's massively concerned about going to newcastle because "it snows". I did point out it doesn't snow there all that regularly but now she's convinced it snows all the time because it's snowing there now. If you're coxed by a small japanese girl with an american accent be prepared for a lot of complaining about the temperature :p:

I'm not sure why I'm telling you this, I think I'm still a little drunk from rowing initiations and when I'm drunk I tend to ramble.

____

In other rowing related news the cambridge head was an epic fail last weekend. In terms of the racing we did quite well. In terms of life we managed to lose a cox box and we rigged an entire boat only to realise at the end of the rigging that we'd left one of the footplates in london, meaning my squad had to row in the "elite" division because we had to share the women's first boat. Massive fail.
Reply 669
Original post by Jessaay!
In other rowing related news the cambridge head was an epic fail last weekend. In terms of the racing we did quite well. In terms of life we managed to lose a cox box and we rigged an entire boat only to realise at the end of the rigging that we'd left one of the footplates in london, meaning my squad had to row in the "elite" division because we had to share the women's first boat. Massive fail.

We were at the Cambridge Head too! Though my day went a little better than yours as we won our division (Student Novice 4+). It's the first time I've ever actually won a rowing race, it's so exciting! My hip flask (no pots for these poshos from Cambridge) should be arriving in a few days, can't wait! :biggrin:
Reply 670

Bit of a shame, would have seen you racing this weekend if I wasn't bogged down with work.

Not rowing for uni at the moment due to work load and falling behind. Going to go back to Tyne for a few weeks and over the exam period before getting back to uni rowing.

Also, you guys are going to get spanked tomorrow, by our first eight :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Freshers sprints tomorrow! :eek4:
Original post by JordanCarroll
Freshers sprints tomorrow! :eek4:

You're not gonna wiiiiin :biggrin:

I think I saw your boat today again. Well it might not have been yours, but it was a barts boat just coming in as we were going out. Your boats always look so sinister.
Original post by Jessaay!
You're not gonna wiiiiin :biggrin:

I think I saw your boat today again. Well it might not have been yours, but it was a barts boat just coming in as we were going out. Your boats always look so sinister.

we got damn close to :wink:

was an awesome race, really enjoyed it, and your RUMS A guys are a pretty cool crowd as well :smile:
Does anyone know how hard it is to get into Leanders Rowing Club as a beginner? I know they train olympic level athletes etc, but was just wondering b/c it would be such an awesome place to train/row and get to that high level (as I'm not yet at university).
Original post by manchild007
Does anyone know how hard it is to get into Leanders Rowing Club as a beginner? I know they train olympic level athletes etc, but was just wondering b/c it would be such an awesome place to train/row and get to that high level (as I'm not yet at university).

Do you row already? Id imagine theyd take you if you were around national level at whatever age you were.

On a side note you can train as an olympic level athlete anywhere. Just get a good coach and train 3 times a day.
Do you row already? Id imagine theyd take you if you were around national level at whatever age you were.

On a side note you can train as an olympic level athlete anywhere. Just get a good coach and train 3 times a day.

That's the thing, I've only just started, so can't say I'm anything near a national level competitor yet - but where can one go to get a good coach (its a bit like rock and hard place situation, I want to improve and train with people who can help in this goal of being a really good rower, but I have to be a really good rower to start off and get this)? I envisage at university you'll have these calibre coaches as its university, but before then (as I'm hoping to get as good as I can by then), I just want to train and make the best of the time.

I've started a lot later than most, as some people I know my age have got into Leander, but they've been rowing since they were like 13/14; I only started about 6 months ago :frown:
Reply 677
Original post by manchild007
I envisage at university you'll have these calibre coaches as its university, but before then (as I'm hoping to get as good as I can by then), I just want to train and make the best of the time.

That depends entirely on the university you go to.

If you go somewhere like: Newcastle, Durham, Imperial, Bristol, Reading, Brookes or something, you'd expect a lot of funding to go into their rowing and the standard of coaching to go with it.

How'd you find the Tyne?
I miss rowing competitively, stupid novice grouping!
Original post by Tabris
That depends entirely on the university you go to.

If you go somewhere like: Newcastle, Durham, Imperial, Bristol, Reading, Brookes or something, you'd expect a lot of funding to go into their rowing and the standard of coaching to go with it.

How'd you find the Tyne?

coooooold, definitely wasnt prepared on the saturday. The water was perfect though, practically like glass today even though we had to plough through a few sheets of ice. Races were really enjoyable too, today more than yesterday.

Looks like a really nice place to train when it warms up a little.

Quick Reply

Latest