The Student Room Group

Clicked cancel instead of substitute! Help!

Okay so I just received my welcome pack from UCAS and I wanted to substitute one of my choices for a safer one, but when I clicked on the course, the only option was cancel, not substitute, so I assumed you cancelled them and THEN substituted, but then it wouldn't let me substitute and I just read the help thing and it said you can't substitute cancelled choices :|
Can I ring UCAS on Monday and get them to add another in or am I stuck with four choices now??! HELP PLEASE
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
You are not allowed to add another choice after you have cancelled one. You can try to call UCAS and explain the unfortunate situation :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by moonymeen
You are not allowed to add another choice after you have cancelled one. You can try to call UCAS and explain the unfortunate situation :smile:

You reckon they'd be sympathetic? I'm such an idiot :frown:
Reply 4
Just call them Monday morning, and hopefully they will understand.
Hey, don't beat yourself up over a silly genuine mistake. Give them a call on Monday, it's just a computer system after all.

I'm sure it will all work out on Monday.
x:smile:x
Reply 6
Original post by willowwillow
Hey, don't beat yourself up over a silly genuine mistake. Give them a call on Monday, it's just a computer system after all.

I'm sure it will all work out on Monday.
x:smile:x

Thank you :smile: I need to calm down haha, nothing I can do until Monday anyway I suppose.
Original post by Eloise987
Thank you :smile: I need to calm down haha, nothing I can do until Monday anyway I suppose.

I know of someone else that did exactly the same thing. I don't know if they tried to contact UCAS, I am only telling you to let you know that you are not the only one.

I had to substitute and so when I went through the process my hand was shaking:eek:

For anyone else, the cancel/substitute button has 2 sides, you click on the left side for substitute and the right side for cancel.

I see that you could have thought that you had to cancel the whole lot first. It would be very unfair if you do not get the opportunity to reinstate.

Report back with the outcome on Monday. Good luck.
Reply 8
Don't worry; you aren't the first and you won't be the last to make this mistake. If you are outside the 14 day window you would usually be able to persuade UCAS to reinstate the choice, and if you are within it then they will sort it out for you.

Either way, don't waste energy stressing about it :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ollienbert
I know of someone else that did exactly the same thing. I don't know if they tried to contact UCAS, I am only telling you to let you know that you are not the only one.

I had to substitute and so when I went through the process my hand was shaking:eek:

For anyone else, the cancel/substitute button has 2 sides, you click on the left side for substitute and the right side for cancel.

I see that you could have thought that you had to cancel the whole lot first. It would be very unfair if you do not get the opportunity to reinstate.

Original post by Minerva
Don't worry; you aren't the first and you won't be the last to make this mistake. If you are outside the 14 day window you would usually be able to persuade UCAS to reinstate the choice, and if you are within it then they will sort it out for you.

Either way, don't waste energy stressing about it :smile:

Thanks everyone, it is a very stupid button!! It only got sent off on Thursday, so I'm well within the 14 days, so hopefully they'll let me substitute. Eek.
Anyway, you've definitely made me feel a bit better, I'll stop panicking now :smile:
Reply 10

I was within the 14 days so they let me substitute no problem :smile: PHEW! Crisis averted.
I was within the 14 days so they let me substitute no problem :smile: PHEW! Crisis averted.

That is brilliant news. What did you apply for anyway - and what did you substitute to ??
Reply 12
That is brilliant news. What did you apply for anyway - and what did you substitute to ??

Well I'm applying for English Literature/ Literature and Language, and I'd originally applied for both at Nottingham, then realised it was the same admissions department and if they didn't like me for one, chances are they wouldn't want me for the other. I wanted to switch to straight Lit at Sussex instead, as I spoke to the English Language admissions tutor on the open day and he told me he gets to choose for the joint honours, so I figured better to hedge my bets and apply to more departments!
Well I'm applying for English Literature/ Literature and Language, and I'd originally applied for both at Nottingham, then realised it was the same admissions department and if they didn't like me for one, chances are they wouldn't want me for the other. I wanted to switch to straight Lit at Sussex instead, as I spoke to the English Language admissions tutor on the open day and he told me he gets to choose for the joint honours, so I figured better to hedge my bets and apply to more departments!

It is such a gamble isn't it. There must be a less stressful way to get into University. I wonder how they do it in other countries.
Reply 14
It is such a gamble isn't it. There must be a less stressful way to get into University. I wonder how they do it in other countries.

Well in Germany, where I am from, you apply directly to the University. Which also means that you can apply to as many as you want and do not need to stick to five choices. Definitely less stressful. It's less buerocratic as well, you do not have all this BS about PS's and References. The only thing they look at is the Numerus Clausus, which is the average grade you have from your Abitur (the German a level), and they only do so either when there is a lot of people applying for that course at this specific Uni.

I do wonder why I did go through all this stress of applying here, bearing in mind that I am not particular happy with my choice now....:s-smilie:

Glad that it worked out for you in the end eloise!
Original post by Gwynne
Well in Germany, where I am from, you apply directly to the University. Which also means that you can apply to as many as you want and do not need to stick to five choices. Definitely less stressful. It's less buerocratic as well, you do not have all this BS about PS's and References. The only thing they look at is the Numerus Clausus, which is the average grade you have from your Abitur (the German a level), and they only do so either when there is a lot of people applying for that course at this specific Uni.

I do wonder why I did go through all this stress of applying here, bearing in mind that I am not particular happy with my choice now....:s-smilie:

Glad that it worked out for you in the end eloise!

So Gwynne are you doing the applying at the same time as you are preparing for your last year of exams? That it is what I think adds to the stress. If only you could wait until you get exam results and then apply in the autumn to start Uni in the new year. It would take the guess work out of A level grades.

Oh well, people don't listen to me do they. :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Well if you are in your last year at school, you usually finish around May/June, you get your results only a few weeks after your exams, deadline for applying is in the middle of July, (depending on every uni, it's a little different) for all those who finish school that year. So you have a good month to apply. By August you usually know where you got accepted or rejected. It's a very quick process, because they only look at your grades and at how many people are applying, they obviously pick the best students. last year i even got confirmations as late as September. Though I then decided to stay in britain.
So you really don't have to worry about applying whilst trying to prepare and do well in your end of school exams, obviously you will think about what Uni you'd like to go to.
If you finished school the year before, because you were rejected or if you have been working before you decide to go to Uni, than deadline is around the end of april.
If you are not accepted by any of the Unis that you applied to, when you try it the following year, your chances are bigger to get in that time round, as everyone has the right of for place and you've already had to wait.
Great system, unfortunately leads to extremely oversubscribed courses. In my local uni they have to rent out a cinema for some of their lectures, because the lecture theatres can't fit all the hearers ^^
Original post by Gwynne
Well if you are in your last year at school, you usually finish around May/June, you get your results only a few weeks after your exams, deadline for applying is in the middle of July, (depending on every uni, it's a little different) for all those who finish school that year. So you have a good month to apply. By August you usually know where you got accepted or rejected. It's a very quick process, because they only look at your grades and at how many people are applying, they obviously pick the best students. last year i even got confirmations as late as September. Though I then decided to stay in britain.
So you really don't have to worry about applying whilst trying to prepare and do well in your end of school exams, obviously you will think about what Uni you'd like to go to.
If you finished school the year before, because you were rejected or if you have been working before you decide to go to Uni, than deadline is around the end of april.
If you are not accepted by any of the Unis that you applied to, when you try it the following year, your chances are bigger to get in that time round, as everyone has the right of for place and you've already had to wait.
Great system, unfortunately leads to extremely oversubscribed courses. In my local uni they have to rent out a cinema for some of their lectures, because the lecture theatres can't fit all the hearers ^^

That sounds like a better system than this rushing around while you are trying to study. The only thing I like about this system is that there is nothing like a good offer of AAB or even AAA to make a student really knuckle down - and as applications have gone in early this year everyone is really getting serious even before Christmas. Is this the Govts way of raising standards ::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending