The Student Room Group

Caught by UCAS for Personal Statement Plagiarism

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by moonymeen
I was thinking the Dad may have believed the personal statement was terrible, but I guess that still doesn't make it right for him to copy the brother's PS for his son's benefit. Can't really fault what you have said here though.
Exactly :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Pete10
Well he is applying to plant science at some good Unis like Imperial etc. Obviously he inst just worried that these Unis wont accept him this year but if he has to re-apply again next year then will his new unis know that his personal statement got rejected last year? And yh his Dad didn't realise there was a copycatch system so completely changed his personal statement before sending it off. I guess the one thing he has on his side is that the copied ps was his brothers?

I don't think that's on his side at all; it makes him look even more suspicious :no:

Either way, your friend was stupid; he got his dad to rewrite his PS, which isn't allowed anyway, never mind the fact that it ended up a copy of his brother's :facepalm:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by rawrritsholli
it's basically his own fault. It does say on the UCAS rules that it has to be completly your own work
he's lucky he hasn't had his application withdrawn by UCAS tbh i know someone who had that done last year

Not for PS plagiarism you didn't.
I don't think unis are willing to hear him out. That way everyone can find a reason to argue with unis when rejected.
Reply 24
Original post by Sandwich Bird
I don't think unis are willing to hear him out. That way everyone can find a reason to argue with unis when rejected.
This isn't quite the same thing. It's likely that they won't, but not certain. Although you can't 'appeal', you can ask for feedback on why you were rejected; what you get may not be very informative, but you can ask.
Original post by TheSownRose
Not for PS plagiarism you didn't.

How do you know ? Do you know for a fact that last year no one was caught for PS plagiarism? I am curious to know what has happened in the past.
Original post by ollienbert
How do you know ? Do you know for a fact that last year no one was caught for PS plagiarism? I am curious to know what has happened in the past.

UCAS don't cancel your application for plagiarism, they just notify the unis.
Dad am disappoint
Reply 28
feel sorry for you... but you can always take a gap year if everything goes wrong
Original post by TheSownRose
UCAS don't cancel your application for plagiarism, they just notify the unis.

aah - so they are probably rejected
Original post by Minerva
This isn't quite the same thing. It's likely that they won't, but not certain. Although you can't 'appeal', you can ask for feedback on why you were rejected; what you get may not be very informative, but you can ask.

Yeah, it's true. But not everyone is allowed to send a revised personal statement because they are rejected.
Reply 31
It's your friend's own fault - one of the first rules of writing a personal statement is it must be your own work. His Dad should have read the terms himself too before messing with his son's application, but ultimately it is your friend's fault.
Reply 32
I would simply inform the ''dad'' whether it be you or actually your dad and ask him why the hell he thought that would work.

At the end of the day they want to see independence.
Reply 33
If the chap in question was stupid enough to get his dad to write his personal statement for him, the argument is that he's too stupid for higher education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending