The Student Room Group

At what age will you leave home?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by derangedyoshi
Bit of a flawed poll given that almost everyone on here goes to uni/went to uni/plans to go to uni and most people would leave home to go to uni.

I plan on leaving home at 17, unsurprisingly, for uni.

I've moved out for uni but I don't really see it as 'moving out' properly. I'll be back in the holidays and who knows what I'll do after uni - if I can't get a job, moving back home may be the only option. So moving out for uni doesn't really count for a lot of people, I reckon.
Reply 41
How are people going to university going there at 17...? You turn 18 in your final year of sixth form.

Are a lot of people here smart enough to skip a year or something?
Reply 42
Original post by tbm
Why would I be a troll just because I was sensible enough to appreciate that money was best spent on property rather than pissing it away every weekend?!

Sorry then:wink:
I left home for travelling at 17, came home for a few months then moved out for good at 18.
Reply 44
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Sorry then:wink:

No prob :wink::biggrin:
Reply 45
Original post by IlexBlue
How are people going to university going there at 17...? You turn 18 in your final year of sixth form.

I think it has something to do with the Scottish system
I moved out 4 days before my 19th birthday
well i'll be moving away for uni so 18 ? Doubt I'll move back home full time again, bar perhaps a few weeks/months when i finish before i find a flat etc.
I left at 23. But before that it was a gradual growth of independence over 5 years (degree, year out, masters) rather than a clean-cut transition.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by IlexBlue

I don't know about England/Wales but in Scotland you would be 17 going to uni if your birthday is anywhere between the start of the uni session and the end of February. The birthday cut-off for us is end of February - I'm in my second-last year of school and I won't be 16 for almost 3 months. My mum actually went to uni at 16 since she skipped P1!
Never, my parents are coming with me whenever I buy my own house. :turban:
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
The poll clearly doesn't include those who ran away from home.

Eh what? It's called running away if you move out before you're 22? :confused:
Does it count as somewhere I can move from if I part-own the house where I live, but live there with my parents?
I have no idea other than not in the immediate future. I'm 20 and not in any position to move. If I end up going to uni again I don't plan on moving back home again.
Original post by SoulfulBoy
Where did you go at 17? Isn't it a bit too early?

In scotland you can go to uni at 17 if you want to and have the grades.

I'm in my second year at strathclyde uni now at 18, doing comp sci and have been living in my own flat since when I moved out last year. It didn't feel like it was too early tbh but I'm a very independant person so maybe its just me.
I left home when I was 18 years old. Best thing I ever did.
Reply 56
I got kicked out when I was 17 for smoking weed in my room and getting a tattoo. Ha!
Reply 57
For most people, it's a kind of drawn out process. I mean, you basically leave home to go to uni, but you still spend 3 months a year living with your parents. Then when you get a job or do a postgrad degree you finally move out permanently, but your parents often keep a room for you in the house.

I moved out of my parents partially 12 years ago, and permanently 7 years ago, but I still spend a week there every Christmas, and, bizarrely, still refer to it as "going home".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending