The Student Room Group

Is this a bad reason to not drink?

I am very easily addicted to things - two notable examples are I have OCD and I've found it difficult to stop taking prescription drugs in the past. Therefore, I think it's best if I avoid alcohol; I can just see it being something else that I start and then can't stop.

A few nights ago, my friends were asking me once more why I don't drink. Instead of tell the more easily understandable 'my cousin died when she was hit by a drink-driver' (which is true, but not really the reason - I wasn't even alive when it happened), I told them the truth, that I would almost certainly end up an alcoholic.

One of them just exploded that it's not fair that my lack of self-control ruined their nights out. I haven't been out with them since, don't really want more arguments and judgements, plus I'm pretty pissed off with that particular one.

Been thinking, though - do I have a poor reason for not drinking?

Scroll to see replies

No offence but if they got angry at you for that they sound like ****ty friends. Don't let them pressure you into doing something you dont want to. I suggest you only drink if you think you can control yourself, otherwise, flash forward 20years to you in a gutter with a bottle of whisky, wondering where it all went wrong.
Reply 2
Seems fair enough to me. And your friend sounds like a dickhead.
Reply 3
Perfectly valid reason, if you don't wanna drink then don't let some piss head pressure you into it
Reply 4
What I want to know if how I've ruined their nights out. I've never complained about them having a drink, just not had one myself.
Original post by Anonymous
I am very easily addicted to things - two notable examples are I have OCD and I've found it difficult to stop taking prescription drugs in the past. Therefore, I think it's best if I avoid alcohol; I can just see it being something else that I start and then can't stop.

A few nights ago, my friends were asking me once more why I don't drink. Instead of tell the more easily understandable 'my cousin died when she was hit by a drink-driver' (which is true, but not really the reason - I wasn't even alive when it happened), I told them the truth, that I would almost certainly end up an alcoholic.

One of them just exploded that it's not fair that my lack of self-control ruined their nights out. I haven't been out with them since, don't really want more arguments and judgements, plus I'm pretty pissed off with that particular one.

Been thinking, though - do I have a poor reason for not drinking?

They said you 'ruined their nights out', wtf! Tell them to **** right off and to not rely on you personally for a good night out. If you don't wanna drink then don't drink, ignore your crappy 'friend'.
Reply 6
You not drinking should in no way impede on their fun. They're being childish and stupid.
If you have a reason to not drink, that you think is acceptable, then that is all that matters. People need to stop pushing their own values onto other people and let them live their own lives... jeez.
Reply 7
so they were fine with you not drinking, until you told them the reason?
your reason is better than most, i personally wouldn't use it, but thats just me
I'd say it's a very good reason not to drink. If one of them can't get their thick head round it that's their problem.
Reply 9
Original post by abbii
so they were fine with you not drinking, until you told them the reason?
your reason is better than most, i personally wouldn't use it, but thats just me

I think they assumed I have a real problem with alcohol, not a speculative one.

Why wouldn't you use it?
Reply 10
Not a poor reason at all. Myself, my friends and bf don't drink because they don't like the idea of losing control when drunk. There's nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
I think they assumed I have a real problem with alcohol, not a speculative one.

Why wouldn't you use it?

resons like, i knew an alcoholic, i just feel really ill when i drink, or the thing about your cousin being hit by a drinkdriver, religious reasons, all work just as well, they are accepted more readily, and people won't question them as much or try as hard to persuade you otherwise, with your reason there is always 'but you don't acually know that', plus i would probably not want to tell people that i had ocd (not that there is anything wrong with it) or that i got addicted to perscription drugs
Reply 12
Even if you had no reason other than 'I don't like it' they have no right to say you're ruining their nights out... wtf? Rubbish friends imo.
That's ridiculous of your friend - it's up to you whether you want to drink or not and you do have a good excuse. How the hell would you be ruining their nights out?! They don't HAVE to invite you if that's the case.

Your friend is being a complete bitch.
Reply 14
awwh, darling im so sorry that your friends are so mean.
in this day and age i think its quite sad to 'have an excuse' as to why your not drinking.
As an adult you made that decison, you could have just told them its your decison, no more needed to be said about it right ?

- I dont think you can class them as 'friends' if they would say such a thing to you.
- i dont see how you could have ruined their night out just because you refused to be drunk or get drunk.
& lastly its quite sad that they think the only way they can have fun is by having a drink up or getting drunk.
(edited 13 years ago)
Terrible reason. It's a requirement of society that everyone over the age of 13 should drink excessively. You may stop once you hit 50 if you wish.

Nah, your friends sound pathetic. I think you're being really sensible. You know your limits and you don't want to cross them, and they apparently don't. Just be glad you matured before them. :smile: Don't bother with people who are going to judge you like that, they're not worth it. I don't want to drink for similar reasons. That and it gives me a headache really quickly. I mean, like, 2 sips and I start to feel off-balance. So rather than make a fool of myself (and I really would) I just don't bother.
Reply 16
How does you not drinking ruin their nights out? Sounds like they were already having a **** night and somehow decided to pass the blame to you.

But hey, they are still your mates. Go out with them again if you want, but tell them to man up or stfu if they cant accept the fact that you drink
it's YOUR life and your decisions, and your friends have to right to tell you to drink alcohol if you don't want to.
still, go out! ignore all the idiots who claim that it's impossible to have a good time without drinking.
Reply 18
Original post by abbii
resons like, i knew an alcoholic, i just feel really ill when i drink, or the thing about your cousin being hit by a drinkdriver, religious reasons, all work just as well, they are accepted more readily, and people won't question them as much or try as hard to persuade you otherwise, with your reason there is always 'but you don't acually know that', plus i would probably not want to tell people that i had ocd (not that there is anything wrong with it) or that i got addicted to perscription drugs

I wasn't actually addicted to them. Not properly - I didn't withdraw.

Although I wouldn't take them again. I would find an alternative.
It's your reason so you hardly need a better one :\.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending