The Student Room Group

Girls: Are you attracted to MONEY?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Two otherwise identical guys, one rich, one poor, I'd go for the rich one.
However love > money by a looooooooooong shot for me.
Reply 21
Original post by Sweet_Heart
That's the opposite of what I was saying - I like him to offer, because I find that really gentlemanly and it makes me go all :heart: ...

But I would NEVER let him actually go through with it, it would just make me really want to kiss him for being so sweet haha...

But maybe that's just me :biggrin:

Not just you :smile: I'm the same!
It's the offer that counts, not the following through in this case.
There is the love for a person or the love for a person's money. I personally believe in the former. No amount of money can buy true love. For example, in the case of true love, if your spouse was taken away from the earth, you would be upset. In the case if you loved a man's wallet, if your spouse was taken away from earth, you wouldn't be as upset, but rather relieved that you can take away what he left and enjoy freedom - A new life that you desired and the way you initially wanted. Also, in the case of true love, if your spouse could no longer provide monetary goods for whatever reason, you would still stay with him. In the case if you loved a man's wallet, if your spouse could no longer provide monetary goods, you would leave him. In such a situation, where there is no money, there is no love. It's a horrible world!
I intend to make enough money to keep me more than happy myself- I'm not going to lie, one of the main reasons why I picked my future career- so I couldn't care less how much he earnt, as it's not going to make much of a difference to my life.
Money is as important to women as looks are as important to guys. Go figure :wink:
Original post by bluebell100
Money is as important to women as looks are as important to guys. Go figure :wink:

That reminds of a line Marilyn Monroe says in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes: "Don't you know that a man being rich is like a girl being pretty? You wouldn't marry a girl just because she's pretty, but my goodness, doesn't it help?"
Yes. Not gonna lie.
Reply 27
No, well at least I ain't, and I don't get the girls who go out with them anyway. If you love'em OK but just for money? seriously? Nah that's just bitchy
Reply 28
Lol you're treating this like something new? Any man with half a brain knows this already (of course woman will never know nor admit to it despite the numerous scientific finding as proven by the comments on this thread).

Though being rich will only get you through the door you gotta work at it to keep her for life.
Reply 29
Tbh, I'm not sure that a man's wealth would sway my opinion either way...
I do find it attractive when men are particularly well dressed (think sharp suits or typical 'posh boy' wear) but I'm not sure this can be traced directly to wealth. After all, you can buy a decent suit for around £100 nowadays.
Reply 30
Original post by Fat-Love
Lol you're treating this like something new? Any man with half a brain knows this already (of course woman will never know nor admit to it despite the numerous scientific finding as proven by the comments on this thread).

Though being rich will only get you through the door you gotta work at it to keep her for life.

I think it's safe to say that analysing people's minds is still a rather shaky and often inaccurate science atm...
I'm definitely not, I like other qualities. There are rich guys who have been interested in me but I just haven't been attracted to.
Reply 32
Original post by najinaji
I think it's safe to say that analysing people's minds is still a rather shaky and often inaccurate science atm...

That was rather clear evidence though, the kind of evidence that you can't just dismiss but actually have to consider. Same goes with the study of the man/woman in the different cars posted on the previous page. When correlations such as that are observed time and time again you just can't rationally dismiss it.

It is slightly amusing that the woman on here are doing exactly what was reported in the study as well. You can say all you want, but your actions show the truth.

That's the opposite of what I was saying - I like him to offer, because I find that really gentlemanly and it makes me go all :heart: ...

But I would NEVER let him actually go through with it, it would just make me really want to kiss him for being so sweet haha...

But maybe that's just me :biggrin:

Slightly off topic, but anyway.

Doesn't that make you feel less than him? Why is it that he feels it compulsory to pay for/offer to pay for your costs? Men and woman are meant to be equal in our current climate, are we not? Therefore, how come you're not offering to pay for his meal/costs just as often? (If you are then excuse my ignorance, but by reading your post it comes across that you don't.)

Excuse me if it comes of slightly aggressive, I'm not trying to be at all.
Reply 33
It's not 'money', it's 'financial security'.
Yes and no
sometimes theyre really horrible
but less rich people are nicer :smile:
Reply 35
Seriously, not in the slightest.
Might be because I'm at a private school, but dear lord, I am sick to death of rich, private school boys.
Original post by Breedlove

Slightly off topic, but anyway.

Doesn't that make you feel less than him? Why is it that he feels it compulsory to pay for/offer to pay for your costs? Men and woman are meant to be equal in our current climate, are we not? Therefore, how come you're not offering to pay for his meal/costs just as often? (If you are then excuse my ignorance, but by reading your post it comes across that you don't.)

Excuse me if it comes of slightly aggressive, I'm not trying to be at all.

It wasn't off topic if you read my previous statement - I then got questioned on it, so I was only replying :smile:

It doesn't make me feel less than him, but I get your point. I don't neccessarily expect a man to offer to pay for things, it just makes me fancy him if he does haha. And I guess you are right - given equality us women should step up to the mark and offer to pay for more things, I guess that I'm just stuck in the past a bit...

I don't offer to pay for things for him straight away I admit (although if he was strapped for cash or something like that I would insist on paying haha), but if for example, a guy buys me a drink, I always buy him one back, and just generally, I don't let guys try and buy me things. I don't agree with girls who are willing to take guys for mugs and will just let the man burn his wallet on them.

I guess I'm saying that I'm easily charmed by a guy that offers to buy me something because I'm a bit of a traditionalist, but I wouldn't expect him to, or even want him to actually carry it out. I hope that all makes sense - please know that I'm not the sort to let a man pay for anything for me :smile:
Reply 37
Does a bear **** in the woods?

I mean seriously, why is this even a question?
Reply 38
Not attracted to it, no. It is a plus though. :h:
Reply 39
It wasn't off topic if you read my previous statement - I then got questioned on it, so I was only replying :smile:

It doesn't make me feel less than him, but I get your point. I don't neccessarily expect a man to offer to pay for things, it just makes me fancy him if he does haha. And I guess you are right - given equality us women should step up to the mark and offer to pay for more things, I guess that I'm just stuck in the past a bit...

I don't offer to pay for things for him straight away I admit (although if he was strapped for cash or something like that I would insist on paying haha), but if for example, a guy buys me a drink, I always buy him one back, and just generally, I don't let guys try and buy me things. I don't agree with girls who are willing to take guys for mugs and will just let the man burn his wallet on them.

I guess I'm saying that I'm easily charmed by a guy that offers to buy me something because I'm a bit of a traditionalist, but I wouldn't expect him to, or even want him to actually carry it out. I hope that all makes sense - please know that I'm not the sort to let a man pay for anything for me :smile:

I meant I was going a bit off topic. :tongue:

I get you though, but I still find it interesting how social doctrine over the years has made it such a charming thing when on a fundamental level it is rather dominating. I also find it interesting that whilst people want equality of the sexes, it is much more likely that a man will pay for the woman that a woman pay for the man and that (a slight assumption, but one highlighted in your post) a man is more likely to pay for the woman first than vice versa.

Out of curiosity, how much of a traditionalist are you in this sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending