The Student Room Group

Concentrate on 3?

Hey,

I have quite a few exams coming up in January and out of my 4 As levels I'm struggling with Phyiscs quite a lot.

Is it best to just focus on Maths ICT and Geology and do bad in physics, or go all out for physics and not do as well as I could do in the others?

I am wanting to do something computer related at uni.

Thanks for help.
No no no, this is seriously the wrong attitude. Don't do bad in any, if you need help - just ask for it. You don't want grades like ABBU that screws you up, work a little harder on Physics by putting more time and effort into it. Don't get me wrong I'm not assuming that you don't work but just try to work harder or get tuition. Also always ask your teachers for help they can make a difference between a D grade and a B grade, who knows. :smile:
Reply 2
Thats the thing, in my other subjects I am passing them, yet in physics I am not even getting a U, I really don't get it, I think if I did loads and loads of work I would get it but I don't know the best way to teach myself.
Reply 3
In that casejust do three. Uni's usually only ask for three, that's if you are applying. Although I am doing Art, History, Chemistry, Maths, and AS Italian and am predicted fairly well so doing four is not impossible. Good luck which ever choice you make.
Original post by Robthriller
Thats the thing, in my other subjects I am passing them, yet in physics I am not even getting a U, I really don't get it, I think if I did loads and loads of work I would get it but I don't know the best way to teach myself.

How do you revise for Physics? If it's AQA practice past papers as you finish a chapter cuz everything ties in together with what's in the book. But if you really cannot do it, drop it. You'll thank yourself in the long, you don't want that kind of stress hanging over your head.
Reply 5
I know someone who got ABUU in her AS Levels and although her predicted grades are ABB (doing a fast track a level to compensate for the two U's) it is impacting on her massively with regards to uni application and she has already been rejected from a BBC uni because of it.

Do as much work as physically possible to try and get at least a C/D in Physics and then drop it like hot coal in your A2 year.
Reply 6
I'm in a very similar situation (studying mechanics, computing (not ICT), geography and physics), and doing well in all but physics. It's becoming such a drag I'm considering dropping it and concentrating on three. Surely it would be better to do better in 3 than let physics drag the others down. How would that effect a university application? I get the impression that as far as UCAS points are concerned it wouldn't make a huge difference either way (I know, hard to judge without actual grades).
Go full out on all four.

If you were to fail a subject you will still be able to have 3 A levels without repeating a year. Plus, many universities want an extra AS.

Quick Reply

Latest