The Student Room Group

how do i gently let a university down?

here's the deal. i've decided to firm surrey(AAB) and insure nottingham(BBC).

i was invited for an interview to manchester on tuesday. i was really keen on going, but it was costing me £120. i sent them an email asking if they could refund it, and they said no. i have my heart set out to surrey atm so i'm working my butt off to get the grades - but i already told manchester via email that i would be attending and just got a thank you letter from them today (even accepted it via ucas track).

how can i gently let them down. i basically want to forget about manchester completely.

thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Really? Surrey over Nottingham? Why?
Edit: Hang on, have you already set Manchester as your firm choice? If no, read what I put originally...

...What do you mean, "gently let them down?" You think they will feel hurt that you don't want to go there? They won't care. They give out offers knowing full well that 50% will be declined by the applicants.
(edited 13 years ago)
Gently let them down? It's not like they're going to be heartbroken :p: Just email telling them you won't be able to attend after all.
Just tell them you have had another offer that you will be accepting. They will be more than used to it.
Original post by Einheri

Maybe, just maybe, it might be because he prefers Surrey over Nottingham. :sigh:
Original post by Einheri

Really, that's the first thing you think of? Defending Nottingham?

OP: You don't have to let them down gently, they're not going to start crying when they hear you won't be coming there. Just send an e-mail saying thank you for the interview, but you will not be attending.
Reply 7
Since you can't get a refund I'd go just for the experience. It's good to see Universities and it may make you think a bit more about where you'd like to go.

If you really don't want to go just say that you're unable to make the open day. That's what everyone else does. Don't worry their feelings aren't going to be crushed.
Reply 8
Just don't go, as soon as you firm your options all other offers are withdrawn. They won't care, they won't be offended, they won't ring you up crying about it.
Congratulations on your offers but in the grand scheme of things you aren't important at all.
Reply 9
Manchester aren't short of applicants - You're just a candidate number to them. Just tell the the situation has changed and you no longer need to interview. Email them or phone them. It's up to you.
I like how you've included the grades required to get into Surrey and Nottingham, as though it's any way relevant.
Just email them and say you won't be attending anymore.
ah yes, I'm in the same predicament.

I need to gently let down Cambridge, seeing as I've firmed Harvard and put Yale as my insurance.
Reply 13
Dear Sir or Madam

Unfortunately I have decided to withdraw my application to Manchester University. Consequentially I will not be attending the interview.

Kind regards,

<name>
Original post by Ewan
Dear Sir or Madam

Unfortunately I have decided to withdraw my application to Manchester University. Consequentially I will not be attending the interview.

Kind regards,

<name>

Not even that. Just go on UCAS Track and either cancel the application or decline the offer, whichever it is.
Reply 15
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Maybe, just maybe, it might be because he prefers Surrey over Nottingham. :sigh:

Obviously he has a preference for Surrey, or he wouldn't have picked it. I'm wondering as to his reasons for prefering Surrey. Dumb-ass trying to be a smart-arse . . .
Original post by Einheri
Obviously he has a preference for Surrey, or he wouldn't have picked it. I'm wondering as to his reasons for prefering Surrey. Dumb-ass trying to be a smart-arse . . .

Surrey is quite a nice uni, plus it has made him a far higher offer.
...am i an idiot for choosing Surrey over Nottingham?
Original post by NS17
Just don't go, as soon as you firm your options all other offers are withdrawn. They won't care, they won't be offended, they won't ring you up crying about it.
Congratulations on your offers but in the grand scheme of things you aren't important at all.
...doubt that highly
i was ridiculously high when i made the post- hence the exaggeration
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending