The Student Room Group

Higher Subject Choices

Hello

I am looking to study five highers during the upcoming 2011-2012 academic session, and I hope to apply for medicine within the next few years. Taking this into consideration, the highers which I have chosen are mathematics, chemistry, human biology, and physics, and one other which I am undecided upon. I have been considering psychology, although I am undecided on that; other options I have are mental health, admin or business managament.

I believe that psychology and mental health are perhaps more pertinent to future study in medicine than admin or business management, as the two latter subjects I would be inclined to chose more out of personal interest than necessity or career relevance.

Can anyone on here shed any light on any of these subjects at higher level, namely psychology and business management, as I would like to know a bit more about the workload, difficulty, and course structure of the two subjects before making a firm decision as to which to choose.

I must also point out that I already have the following:

Higher English - A
Higher Product Design - A
Higher Graph. Comm - A
Higher Art - B
Advanced Higher Art - A

Thanks in advance.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
How about English?
Reply 2
My brother qualified as a doctor two years ago, and he did English, Maths and the three sciences at Higher. He did AH biology as well and possibly chemistry but I can't remember.

It depends on where you're applying to, as well. I should also add that Higher English was compulsory at my school, but I would have done it anyway because it's one of those generic but well regarded subjects.
Reply 3
Original post by soup
How about English?

Sorry, I should have mentioned, I already have higher English, as well as graph.comm., product design and art. The highers I mentioned in the previous post are of a more scientific nature, as I have subsequently decided that I would like to pursue a career in medicine.
Reply 4
Original post by ch0llima
My brother qualified as a doctor two years ago, and he did English, Maths and the three sciences at Higher. He did AH biology as well and possibly chemistry but I can't remember.

It depends on where you're applying to, as well. I should also add that Higher English was compulsory at my school, but I would have done it anyway because it's one of those generic but well regarded subjects.

Yes I have previously sat higher english and received an A for it, I apologise as I should have mentioned this in my original post.

I'm looking to go onto advanced higher biology, maths and chemistry from August 2012, provided I perform well in my highers.
Reply 5
Original post by Kelz_26
I think you should do psychology as the fifth choice. I am studying it at the moment. It's really interesting and it will be relevant for you.

But why are you doing five highers again when you already have four highers and an advanced higher?

Because none of my highers are relevant to medicine, with the exception of English and I would therefore need to study maths, chemistry, and human biology to get into medicine. I think that, as I am doing these three highers, then I might as well do another full compliment in order to further my knowledge and potentially further my chances of gaining entry to medicine.

You're studying higher psychology? How are you finding it? I have to admit I am slightly apprehensive about choosing it as I am unsure of the workload and course structure. Am I right in saying that there is a significant amount of information to memorise, such as terminology, different studies, the years in which they took place, etc?
Reply 6
To be completely honest,most universities want sciences in the first sitting of highers.You would have a better chance of getting into medicine firstly by doing a science degree such as Chemistry,Biology etc and then applying for medicine.
Reply 7
Original post by laureng492
To be completely honest,most universities want sciences in the first sitting of highers.You would have a better chance of getting into medicine firstly by doing a science degree such as Chemistry,Biology etc and then applying for medicine.

I have already contacted several universities regarding this, Strathclyde, Glasgow, etc, and they have said that they would consider me sitting science highers at college in the 2011-2012 session as a first sitting of science highers, and that I would still be considered for entry.
Reply 8
Original post by Andrew Mooney
Because none of my highers are relevant to medicine, with the exception of English and I would therefore need to study maths, chemistry, and human biology to get into medicine. I think that, as I am doing these three highers, then I might as well do another full compliment in order to further my knowledge and potentially further my chances of gaining entry to medicine.

You're studying higher psychology? How are you finding it? I have to admit I am slightly apprehensive about choosing it as I am unsure of the workload and course structure. Am I right in saying that there is a significant amount of information to memorise, such as terminology, different studies, the years in which they took place, etc?

Yeah you're right, there is a lot to remember but I wouldn't say it's any more work than the average higher. It's not a difficult higher if you have a good memory! There is also an investigation that you have to complete which is worth 20% of your grade though. I would say what makes it harder (I don't know if you would be the same) but I learn it at college only one evening a week after school, so you're getting much less teaching time compared to other highers. If you keep up with the work outside of class it's fine.

This thread will give you more information about the course structure and topics in the course.
Reply 9
Did you do your subjects before at school in S5 and now want to do these additional subjects at college? I take it you had no idea what you wanted to do at uni when you chose them?
Just do the 4 highers if you already have 4 highers and an adv.
Anyway, if you want to do a 5th, do business management. It's easy stuff :smile:
If you look at the statistics on the SQA website about how many people get A's in the subject that might give a good indication? I remember seeing that Admin has a fairly low amount of people who get A's.. I think it was like less than 10% when I read it... so maybe don't do Admin.. :biggrin:
Original post by Ecosse_14
Just do the 4 highers if you already have 4 highers and an adv.
Anyway, if you want to do a 5th, do business management. It's easy stuff :smile:

Yeah I thought business management would be fairly straightforward when compared with physics, maths, etc. I'm quite keen to do five though, as I'd like to have a crack at getting five As, which I think is definitely attainable, as I don't start until August 2011 and I've already started revising :smartass:
Original post by Daniel-Ballingall
If you look at the statistics on the SQA website about how many people get A's in the subject that might give a good indication? I remember seeing that Admin has a fairly low amount of people who get A's.. I think it was like less than 10% when I read it... so maybe don't do Admin.. :biggrin:

There was me thinking admin was one of the 'less challenging' subjects as well. It's probably between psychology and business management anyhow, as I am genuinely interested in both subjects.
Yeah I thought business management would be fairly straightforward when compared with physics, maths, etc. I'm quite keen to do five though, as I'd like to have a crack at getting five As, which I think is definitely attainable, as I don't start until August 2011 and I've already started revising :smartass:

It is the easiest higher I did and it's the one I self taught. A lot of it's just common sense and just remembering easy information. Don't need to remember any dates (except for legislation but that's hardly any) or figures. You got an A in english so you'll be well more than capable in answering the questions in the exam (it's just simple questions, no essays or the likes).
Original post by matthew93
Did you do your subjects before at school in S5 and now want to do these additional subjects at college? I take it you had no idea what you wanted to do at uni when you chose them?

Yes I did these subjects in S5/S6 with the intention of studying automotive design. I went to university to study an integrated master's degree, didn't like it, and decided to make my second year at uni my final year, meaning that I received a diploma of higher education instead of a degree. I'm now going back to college in order to do science related highers and advanced highers before applying to study medicine at university. I'll also be studying with the Open University for a BA (Hons) in public health and social work whilst undertaking my college work, so I'll be applying as a graduate entrant. So that's basically the background to the situation.
There was me thinking admin was one of the 'less challenging' subjects as well.

Well, perhaps people who aren't so able, or aren't willing to put in the work, also think so. This could pull the percentage down, even if it were easier.
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Well, perhaps people who aren't so able, or aren't willing to put in the work, also think so. This could pull the percentage down, even if it were easier.

I haven't actually studied admin before, I'm just going on past experience, as I can remember quite a number of people who I went to school with ridiculing the subject, as they said it was 'easy'. Perhaps this kind of overconfidence contributes to the poor grades.
Original post by (You)
What is your heart telling you?

That I want to do medicine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending