The Student Room Group

Five Choices, Six Options.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OmegaGreen17
I would go with the options I have right now, but the worries of the back-up has me in doubts, nobody can guarantee me getting a minimum of 2 offers, since noone can give me that, realistically, I worry that if I don't have a back-up il be in trouble, just in case things turn sour.

Obviously, I need the grades first :wink:

You're predicted AAAB, and applying to the following:

Cardiff- AAB-ABB
Nottingham- AAB
Bristol- AAA-AAB
Bath- ABB
Southampton-AAB

So, if you actually achieved your predicted grades (and that's what the unis will make you an offer based on), you actually exceed four out of five of them. Physics isn't a massively popular course (last year, 5.1 applicants for every place), so combined you stand a pretty good chance of getting at least one offer. No one can guarantee it, but it's pretty good.

Now, for insurance. There is a limit to have low you can take your insurance; I was predicted AAA and had an ABB insurance - didn't find anywhere that met my expectations at a lower offer. So, theoretically, you could use one of those five as an insurance. If that's too risky for your liking, you have a connundrum: BSc at Cardiff for insurance or MSci at a uni with a lower reputation?

Are you very enthusiastic about all of those five unis, or are there some that are just fillers?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by TheSownRose
You're predicted AAAB, and applying to the following:

Cardiff- AAB-ABB
Nottingham- AAB
Bristol- AAA-AAB
Bath- ABB
Southampton-AAB

So, if you actually achieved your predicted grades (and that's what the unis will make you an offer based on), you actually exceed four out of five of them. Physics isn't a massively popular course (last year, 5.1 applicants for every place), so combined you stand a pretty good chance of getting at least one offer. No one can guarantee it, but it's pretty good.

Now, for insurance. There is a limit to have low you can take your insurance; I was predicted AAA and had an ABB insurance - didn't find anywhere that met my expectations at a lower offer. So, theoretically, you could use one of those five as an insurance. If that's too risky for your liking, you have a connundrum: BSc at Cardiff for insurance or MSci at a uni with a lower reputation?

Are you very enthusiastic about all of those five unis, or are there some that are just fillers?

Bath/Southampton were ones I didnt go to the open days to, Bath was put down after hearing positive reviews from a friend who went on the open day. Also, a good review of the area by a teacher who lived around there.

Southampton was a filler oddly, because I needed a 5th option. I checked the tables after I made the choice and saw its "technically" the best out of the ones i've picked, I also liked how the Pros sold the Uni itself and the area/facilities.
Bath/Southampton were ones I didnt go to the open days to, Bath was put down after hearing positive reviews from a friend who went on the open day. Also, a good review of the area by a teacher who lived around there.

Southampton was a filler oddly, because I needed a 5th option. I checked the tables after I made the choice and saw its "technically" the best out of the ones i've picked, I also liked how the Pros sold the Uni itself and the area/facilities.

If Southampton was a filler, would it bother you to replace it?
Reply 23
Im not sure if I should throw out what was once a filler, but now without realizing, a good university.

This is soo hard and its highly frustrating.
Im not sure if I should throw out what was once a filler, but now without realizing, a good university.

This is soo hard and its highly frustrating.

Ok then, ask this: does it make you nervous that your lowest potential offer is ABB?
Reply 25
It makes me nervous in a sense that its high risk, but at the same time, I can get an A in something, I think thats a given that I'll get at least one A, since the A in Maths will come along nicely when I resit C4 (WJEC), and C1+M1 (WJEC).
If you are confident of at least one A then ABB is a perfectly adequate insurance choice :smile:
Reply 27
Do you think theres any chance that if I had an offer from Cardiff, and I didnt make the Masters' grades, could I phone them on Results day and ask for an entry into the Bachelors?
Original post by TheSownRose
:biggrin: I take it you like it at Hull?

It's great =D Loved it so much on open day I applied twice and put it as my firm and insurance.
Do you think theres any chance that if I had an offer from Cardiff, and I didnt make the Masters' grades, could I phone them on Results day and ask for an entry into the Bachelors?

If they had spaces on the BSc, then you could and might even be successful. A lot of unis make a changed offer of this anyway for an applicant they like, but who missed the grades for the higher course.
Reply 30
I think I might just replace Southampton with Cardiff BSc. Seems logical since keeping Bath will mean more varied grade requirements.
I think I might just replace Southampton with Cardiff BSc. Seems logical since keeping Bath will mean more varied grade requirements.

Sounds like a good idea, it didnt seem that your heart was in Southampton anyway :smile:
Reply 32
One question though.

Do you expect to cover the usual Physics topics in EVERY university? As in I will be studying roughly the same thing in each Uni?

I mean, the Southampton Prospectus is quite fascinating, the Bath one leaves a little to be desired...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending