The Student Room Group

Uni's that operate the collegiate(?) system?

Hi guys, I'm still in the process of applying to uni for 2011 entry (yes, I leave everything to the last minute) and I'm wondering if anyone could tell me/link me to a site which shows all the unis that involve you becoming a member of a college as well as the uni as a whole e.g. Durham, Oxbridge.

I tried googling the issue but a lot of names came up such as UCL which I know isn't split into colleges where you live and participate against other colleges in sport and so on so either I'm using the wrong term 'collegiate' or it has various meanings etc. Basically which unis have diferent colleges you live at as opposed to the standard campus because I very much like the idea of being part of a college, in a sense providing a more community style feel in my opinion.

Thanks
University of London
University of Wales
York
Lancaster
Kent
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
York isn't.
University of London basically isn't. By the same logic I would guess University of Wales (??) isn't either)

Basically: Durham, Oxbridge (don't know about Lancaster or Kent)
Reply 3
Original post by Bunkd
York isn't.
University of London basically isn't. By the same logic I would guess University of Wales (??) isn't either)

Basically: Durham, Oxbridge (don't know about Lancaster or Kent)

Lancaster does.
I wouldn't say there's a great sense of community with your college, but you've always got an excuse to sing/shout songs between bars.

(paid up Grizedale member here :biggrin:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by TheSownRose
University of London
University of Wales

No. Just no. :facepalm2:

TheSownRose
Kent

No. Just because they have different campuses (Medway, Canterbury), as most universities do (I can name loads), doesn't mean they operate under a collegiate system. :sigh:

TheSownRose
York
Lancaster

I can confirm that Lancaster operate under the collegiate system. I don't think York do though. Also, I know Durham operates under this system as well.
Original post by RamocitoMorales

No. Just because they have different campuses (Medway, Canterbury), as most universities do (I can name loads), doesn't mean they operate under a collegiate system. :sigh:

I can confirm that Lancaster operate under the collegiate system. I don't think York do though. Also, I know Durham operates under this system as well.

York definitely do, although it's only based around halls. And UoL and UoW are both collegiate unis - apart from a few in the UoL, you get your degree for the uni, not the college.

Kent was a suggestion from someone else.
Original post by RamocitoMorales

Kent and York are collegiate.
Reply 7
Why? It's a really outdated and awkward system, most people consider it a hassle. Oxbridge only operate under it because it is tradition, and Durham only operate under it because they wish they were Oxbridge.
Reply 8
Original post by TheSownRose
York definitely do, although it's only based around halls. And UoL and UoW are both collegiate unis - apart from a few in the UoL, you get your degree for the uni, not the college.

Kent was a suggestion from someone else.

Yes... but it's not really the same. UoL and UoW Uni's such as Queen Mary and Aberystwyth are basically Uni's in their own right, why they are called Queen Mary Uni etc. Whereas you don't get a degree from the specific college at Durham uni, you get it from the actual Uni. I know Aberystwyth let you choose to have a UoW degree or Aber degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending