The Student Room Group

My grandmother is really racist. Do you think she doesnt like me?

I am half Japanese and half Italian. My mum's family all live in Japan, and anyway my Japanese grandmother is quite racist and she is quite open about her hatred for white people, black people and Koreans. I know that my parents marriage was kind of opposed like back in Japan and my mums parents didn't want my mum marrying an Italian, but they got over it and accepted it. My grandmother is really loving and also half raised me, because when I was a child I moved to Japan for 3 years and my mum had to work so during the day I was just with my grandmother and grandfather (grandfather is dead now).

Obviously I like my grandma, and she likes me too. But do you think she doesnt like the fact that I am half Italian? My dad is Italian but he's not exactly white though, he's from southern Italy and actually very tanned. She went on holiday once to Italy and she really liked the country. But I am just wondering, because she doesn't like white people do you think her visit to Italy changed her opinions at all? Last week my grandma called me and she told me she wants me to go to Japan in the holidays, and she said we should stay in Tokyo because she also knows I like Tokyo, and that I find her hometown quite boring (my mums family is from quite a smallish town and isnt very exciting).

But what do you think she thinks of my dad? I haven't really spoken to them about it because it is an awkward subject to bring up. But my grandmothers perception of white people is that they are dirty, unhygienic, loud, violent, have no honour, no respect and lazy. I don't think my dad fits any of those categories, but then I don't think most white people fit those categories either so maybe she does also think my dad is like that?

Also why is my grandmother racist anyway? Is it normal for most old people to be racist? I don't think my grandmother has much contact with non-Japanese people, all she does is she might see some tourists walking on the street and that is the most contact she has with foreigners, yet she still hates black people and white people. She doesn't like Koreans but she doesn't talk about them that much, it is mainly blacks and whites she has a problem with for some reason.
I wouldnt worry, a lot of old people are racist, I think its normal. They are at that age where they say whatever they want and everyone just says 'Oh grandad, dont be silly' Lol
Original post by Anonymous
I am half Japanese and half Italian. My mum's family all live in Japan, and anyway my Japanese grandmother is quite racist and she is quite open about her hatred for white people, black people and Koreans. I know that my parents marriage was kind of opposed like back in Japan and my mums parents didn't want my mum marrying an Italian, but they got over it and accepted it. My grandmother is really loving and also half raised me, because when I was a child I moved to Japan for 3 years and my mum had to work so during the day I was just with my grandmother and grandfather (grandfather is dead now).

Obviously I like my grandma, and she likes me too. But do you think she doesnt like the fact that I am half Italian? My dad is Italian but he's not exactly white though, he's from southern Italy and actually very tanned. She went on holiday once to Italy and she really liked the country. But I am just wondering, because she doesn't like white people do you think her visit to Italy changed her opinions at all? Last week my grandma called me and she told me she wants me to go to Japan in the holidays, and she said we should stay in Tokyo because she also knows I like Tokyo, and that I find her hometown quite boring (my mums family is from quite a smallish town and isnt very exciting).

But what do you think she thinks of my dad? I haven't really spoken to them about it because it is an awkward subject to bring up. But my grandmothers perception of white people is that they are dirty, unhygienic, loud, violent, have no honour, no respect and lazy. I don't think my dad fits any of those categories, but then I don't think most white people fit those categories either so maybe she does also think my dad is like that?

Also why is my grandmother racist anyway? Is it normal for most old people to be racist? I don't think my grandmother has much contact with non-Japanese people, all she does is she might see some tourists walking on the street and that is the most contact she has with foreigners, yet she still hates black people and white people. She doesn't like Koreans but she doesn't talk about them that much, it is mainly blacks and whites she has a problem with for some reason.

That is irrelevant.
Original post by Lewroll
I wouldnt worry, a lot of old people are racist, I think its normal. They are at that age where they say whatever they want and everyone just says 'Oh grandad, dont be silly' Lol

That some sort of sick joke? She clearly said her grandad is dead. Sicko.

Is your dad a weeaboo? Or think any East Asian women is pretty?
But do you think she doesnt like the fact that I am half Italian?

do you think her visit to Italy changed her opinions at all?

But what do you think she thinks of my dad?

I don't think most white people fit those categories either so maybe she does also think my dad is like that?

Also why is my grandmother racist anyway?

Is it normal for most old people to be racist?
The answer to the last question is "yes, but it doesn't make it right".

As for the other 5 questions you either need to ask your Gran or find someone who can mind read old Japanese people they've never met via the interwebs. Good luck with whichever option you choose.
Original post by LaughingBro

:rofl:
Reply 6
She was probably comfortable in her racism. What she probably hates is the fact that you've come along, stolen her heart, taken away her prejudice and made her old views seem a bit silly and pointless. If she really hated you, you would know by now and wouldn't be asking that question.
Reply 7
Original post by EskimoJo
She was probably comfortable in her racism. What she probably hates is the fact that you've come along, stolen her heart, taken away her prejudice and made her old views seem a bit silly and pointless. If she really hated you, you would know by now and wouldn't be asking that question.

yes ,some old people are racist because of the world war 2
Reply 8
Original post by LaughingBro

no.
Reply 9
My Grandad despises the Welsh (thinks they are rude and lazy) and Americans (WW2 hype, rude, loud, obnoxious) and will place his stereotypes onto anyone he meets of any age from those backgrounds.

Times have changed considerably however and it is hard to adapt to, you need to understand that the older generations have seen a lot of racial problems and atrocities committed by race based groups, countries and organisations that will have a lasting effect on their general views of different people which is what racism is, flesh and blood however would not fall into such silly assumptions IMO, but like i said, it is hard to change when you have grown up with so many problems.
(edited 13 years ago)
Just wait for her to die.

-I'm black.
Reply 11
wouldn't worry about it. My granny believes the english are a bunch of work-shy....

old people, eh!
Reply 13
Just wait for her to die.

-I'm black.

she won't be dying until a few decades. she hates black people because she thinks they are the most uncivilized people on earth, and she says they are the most lazy people and are not intelligent enough to do anything for themselves. also because there were some problems in japan with black people robbing peoples homes and stealing peoples cars, so that also furthered her hatred for black people.
she won't be dying until a few decades. she hates black people because she thinks they are the most uncivilized people on earth, and she says they are the most lazy people and are not intelligent enough to do anything for themselves. also because there were some problems in japan with black people robbing peoples homes and stealing peoples cars, so that also furthered her hatred for black people.

Just send her to me. I'll "straighten" her out..:wink:
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous-
Just send her to me. I'll "straighten" her out..:wink:

dude, she's an old generation japanese person. if you're not japanese she won't even look at u as human.
dude, she's an old generation japanese person. if you're not japanese she won't even look at u as human.

I can be an animal too:wink: If thats what she's expecting.
The "no honour" part really makes me laugh :biggrin: .

Reminds me of the karate kid part 2,where the bully kept on talking about Daniel

and Mr.Miyaga, "have no honour and coward".

I don't think she hates hates you,quite the contrary.

I wonder,how does she feel about Obama ?
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending