The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by drakesdrum
Inksplodge may I ask what sort of times you sleep over the week? My sleeping was completely fine for the first few weeks but I've struggled these past couple to get sleep. Despite being awake for 24 hours I only slept 3 hours last night. Doesn't really affect me once I'm working but it's annoying in time off

All over the place, my sleep is really messed up and I won't lie, it's made me really poorly! I generally go to bed when I've eaten something in the morning. On the days I'm completely shattered (but I haven't for a while) I'll sleep from 8.30am til 5-6pm. Recently I'm sleeping from about 8am til 3-4pm =/ The best thing to do IMO is eat something breakfast-y when you get in and go straight to bed and stay there! I find the longer I'm awake the harder it is to sleep!

When I'm off I don't normally sleep until about 2am and I get up at 8-9am. And then I need to nap about 5-6pm 'cos I'm shattered.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by inksplodge
All over the place, my sleep is really messed up and I won't lie, it's made me really poorly! I generally go to bed when I've eaten something in the morning. On the days I'm completely shattered (but I haven't for a while) I'll sleep from 8.30am til 5-6pm. Recently I'm sleeping from about 8am til 3-4pm =/ The best thing to do IMO is eat something breakfast-y when you get in and go straight to bed and stay there! I find the longer I'm awake the harder it is to sleep!

When I'm off I don't normally sleep until about 2am and I get up at 8-9am. And then I need to nap about 5-6pm 'cos I'm shattered.

Thanks for the reply! I'm surprised I've made it until half 12 tonight, working tomorrow night but will probably need a nap around 5 or 6 like you say. Really quite annoying. Just seems strange that the more I get used to nights the less and less I sleep. Feels like I'm constantly doing an all nighter in terms of how I feel physically.
Reply 6902
What breaks do you get for an 8 hour shift? Is it 2x15mins?
Reply 6903
I'm on holiday atm so I don't want to phone up the store to ask this incase they ask me to go in, so i'll properly ask when I go back:

I'm going travelling around Europe in July, and I will be gone for 3 weeks.

My store only allows me to book off 2 weeks at a time, but if I offered them 2 weeks of my holiday and 1 week unpaid, do you reckon they'd take the bait? :P
All, I have an induction on Monday.
I know I have to take NI details, bank details and proof of ID again.

Is the dress code smart casual? Plus what do we do from 8am to 5pm?
Original post by Foulish
I'm on holiday atm so I don't want to phone up the store to ask this incase they ask me to go in, so i'll properly ask when I go back:

I'm going travelling around Europe in July, and I will be gone for 3 weeks.

My store only allows me to book off 2 weeks at a time, but if I offered them 2 weeks of my holiday and 1 week unpaid, do you reckon they'd take the bait? :P

They should allow you to have 3 weeks off paid - that's the Sbury's rule I thought ...Says on holiday forms three weeks paid and any more has to be authorised by store manager
Reply 6906
Anyone here on a student dual store contract? My 'home' store sent me a letter saying the dates and times they're expecting me. Over 30 hours a week which is crap coz I'm contracted for 12 hours and I was intending on spending my fortnight back at home with friends and family, partying and doing some Christmas/sales shopping instead of spending 9 hours of each day miserably slouched over Till 9 serving customer after customer :frown:
Reply 6907
Original post by Tyrone Biggins

Yes smart casual, some wore shirt and pants and others wore polo and jeans. You literally sit in a room for every hour of the day watching videos and going through all the paper work.
Original post by odris
What breaks do you get for an 8 hour shift? Is it 2x15mins?

Its usually just one 30min break.
so, I've been working on checkouts for the last couple of months and in the last two or three weeks, I've been getting this really bad shoulder pain, does anyone else have this? It must be my posture or something, but its like all through the shoulders and you can't really lift your arms up cos it hurts! I know it's a bit random but just wondering if its just me!
Just wanted to post in this thread to say thanks. Without all you lot nattering about Think 25 and the lot a doubt I would've done so well in my interview. :smile:

Original post by Tyrone Biggins

I've got induction on Monday too. What store are you at?
Reply 6911
Original post by shooting.star
so, I've been working on checkouts for the last couple of months and in the last two or three weeks, I've been getting this really bad shoulder pain, does anyone else have this? It must be my posture or something, but its like all through the shoulders and you can't really lift your arms up cos it hurts! I know it's a bit random but just wondering if its just me!

Do you stand up or sit down? Whatever you're doing you should be in a position where you aren't lifting your arms up so much.

My advice would be to run away from the tills. I just do self scan now and put up with the sore legs instead.
speaking of sore legs my trousers are too big and it was so cold tonight, i got really bad chafing on my legs. i was in so much bloody pain :mad:
Original post by FXX
Do you stand up or sit down? Whatever you're doing you should be in a position where you aren't lifting your arms up so much.

I do both, I think I stand up more. No, I don't lift my arms up when I'm there, except to call supervisors but afterwards its quite bad. Or, did you mean I should just like slide the items rather than lift them? Must be the way I'm scanning them, maybe.

Original post by Schumacher
My advice would be to run away from the tills. I just do self scan now and put up with the sore legs instead.

That sounds like a good plan, but I don't know if they train 'new' people for self scan as much? and it looks quite hard as well actually!
I do both, I think I stand up more. No, I don't lift my arms up when I'm there, except to call supervisors but afterwards its quite bad. Or, did you mean I should just like slide the items rather than lift them? Must be the way I'm scanning them, maybe.

That sounds like a good plan, but I don't know if they train 'new' people for self scan as much? and it looks quite hard as well actually!

how long have you been doing it for? you might get used to it if you haven't been doing it long!
Reply 6916
Anyone has any insight how hard is it actually to get a night shift job at sainsburys?

Just ask and they will do it :smile: I got trained on it after about 2 weeks of being there. It's quite easy all you need to do is just scan your little barcode when people make mistakes and take tags off etc. It's a skive :tongue:
Original post by LW5x01
Anyone has any insight how hard is it actually to get a night shift job at sainsburys?

first thing i would say is why the heck would you want a job on nights :eek3:
secondly i would say not very difficult. if most places are anything like mine then they will be begging for new staff. staff turnover seems very high
Job induction tomorrow for a night shift role.
What should I wear at the induction? Would Jeans, tshirt and black shoes be ok?

Latest

Trending

Trending