The Student Room Group

A level choices advice??

Hey there :smile: im currently in year 11 and we have to hand in our sixth form applications with our chosen subjects by next week!! and im still stuck on what to do :frown: so far i've got Geography, Economics, Biology and im thinking either German or Sociology. What do you think? Ive been told German is really hard and im not sure if im good enough :/ but i also don't know much about sociology? ! Im trying to keep my options open because i don't know what i want to be yet :frown: any advice would be much appreciated!
Reply 1
What Career are you looking into? I would swap Geography for Sociology and take German aswell.
Reply 2
What do you want to do later? I think Geography and Biology, Geography and Economics, and Geography, Economics and Sociology are all good combinations if you want to go into Biology, Geography or Social sciences later.

You don't need Sociology (or actually, Economics, and probably also Geography) for any uni courses, so I would take German instead of Sociology (and/or Maths if you like it instead of Economics or Geography).
Reply 3
I think its always good to have a science, so Biology is a keeper. Geography is also a nice subject to go alongside this. Although you dont know much about Sociology, you might aswel try it and see what you think! A levels are a BIG step up from GCSE so if you're not confident on your language skills I wouldn't chose that. You could always start off with 5 subjects and drop the one you like the least after a few weeks, when you are sure youve made the right choices, thats what I did :smile: Alternatively you can always take up a new AS during your A2 year :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by llys
What do you want to do later? I think Geography and Biology, Geography and Economics, and Geography, Economics and Sociology are all good combinations if you want to go into Biology, Geography or Social sciences later.

You don't need Sociology (or actually, Economics, and probably also Geography) for any uni courses, so I would take German instead of Sociology (and/or Maths if you like it instead of Economics or Geography).

well im not sure completely career wise but I was thinking something like a primary school teacher maybe but then again i kind of want to keep my options open in case I change my mind :/ :smile: im not to strong on maths though so don't think I could do that at a level. The thing is out of the ones i have to pick from german is kind of the odd one out so :/ im not sure! thanks for the advice though! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Pheebs1201
I think its always good to have a science, so Biology is a keeper. Geography is also a nice subject to go alongside this. Although you dont know much about Sociology, you might aswel try it and see what you think! A levels are a BIG step up from GCSE so if you're not confident on your language skills I wouldn't chose that. You could always start off with 5 subjects and drop the one you like the least after a few weeks, when you are sure youve made the right choices, thats what I did :smile: Alternatively you can always take up a new AS during your A2 year :smile:

yeah i think your right :smile: if im not too confident on german now then maybe i should be doing it :smile: and yeah that would be a good idea but i don't think my school would let me do that with the 5 subjects though :s-smilie: oh wells i think ive made a decision! Geography, Economics, Biology and Sociology :smile: think they go together?? thank you for ur help! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by goldensyrup54
yeah i think your right :smile: if im not too confident on german now then maybe i should be doing it :smile: and yeah that would be a good idea but i don't think my school would let me do that with the 5 subjects though :s-smilie: oh wells i think ive made a decision! Geography, Economics, Biology and Sociology :smile: think they go together?? thank you for ur help! :smile:

What GCSE grade did you get in German, if you don't mind me asking? If you're basing your confidence in German on a grade, use it as a rough template rather than cement- I have a friend who got an A* at GCSE and C at A2, whilst a guy in her class did the reverse.
As for your selection (Geog, Eco, Bio + Socio), looks good to me, and will develop a range of skills.
If you still aren't sure you can always ask a teacher (whilst being aware that they aren't all-knowing, of course :wink: )
Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Captain92
What GCSE grade did you get in German, if you don't mind me asking? If you're basing your confidence in German on a grade, use it as a rough template rather than cement- I have a friend who got an A* at GCSE and C at A2, whilst a guy in her class did the reverse.
As for your selection (Geog, Eco, Bio + Socio), looks good to me, and will develop a range of skills.
If you still aren't sure you can always ask a teacher (whilst being aware that they aren't all-knowing, of course :wink: )
Good luck!

i think im prediced a A at GCSE but like you said i know a girl who used to love it and is now doing a level but hates it! and i dont want to be like that! :smile: and thanks for your input i think im decided on those subjects but i kinda wanted a bit of resassurance that i wasn't making a big mistake! :smile: thank you
Reply 8
well im not sure completely career wise but I was thinking something like a primary school teacher maybe but then again i kind of want to keep my options open in case I change my mind :/ :smile: im not to strong on maths though so don't think I could do that at a level. The thing is out of the ones i have to pick from german is kind of the odd one out so :/ im not sure! thanks for the advice though! :smile:

Hey, that's ok, if you don't like Maths don't do it.

If you want to be a primary school teacher, your subjects don't matter so much (I think Geography and Biology are quite good choices; maybe English Language or Literature if you fancy it? But not necessary.).

However, since it has now been made a requirement to teach foreign languages in primary schools it may actually be very useful for you to have a language at AS. Although I suppose French or Spanish AS (or GCSE if you don't already have the GCSE) might be more useful than German AS since I think more primary schools probably will offer French or Spanish rather than German. But German AS would also be good just to show you like and can do languages.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
i think im prediced a A at GCSE but like you said i know a girl who used to love it and is now doing a level but hates it! and i dont want to be like that! :smile: and thanks for your input i think im decided on those subjects but i kinda wanted a bit of resassurance that i wasn't making a big mistake! :smile: thank you

No worries, it's a good choice of subjects! :smile:

Yeah I think you have choosen well :smile: Good luck x
Reply 11
thank you everyone! :smile:
Hey there :smile: im currently in year 11 and we have to hand in our sixth form applications with our chosen subjects by next week!! and im still stuck on what to do :frown: so far i've got Geography, Economics, Biology and im thinking either German or Sociology. What do you think? Ive been told German is really hard and im not sure if im good enough :/ but i also don't know much about sociology? ! Im trying to keep my options open because i don't know what i want to be yet :frown: any advice would be much appreciated!

Did you do German before/ currently doing it?

Quick Reply

Latest