The Student Room Group

Sum of arctangents

I'm trying to find positive rational solutions for the following equation:

tan1x+tan1y+tan1(6xy)=π\tan^{-1}x + \tan^{-1}y + \tan^{-1}(\frac{6}{xy}) = \pi

Obviously any pair of 1, 2, 3 are solutions.

Clues please because I'm not sure where I'm going with this one.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Mr M
I'm trying to find positive rational solutions for the following equation:

tan1x+tan1y+tan1(6xy)=π\tan^{-1}x + \tan^{-1}y + \tan^{-1}(\frac{6}{xy}) = \pi

Obviously any pair of 1, 2, 3 are solutions.

Clues please because I'm not sure where I'm going with this one.

Have you gotten to the stage where you need to solve x2y+xy26xy+6=0x^2y+xy^2-6xy+6=0 by taking the tan of both sides from the start? There's symmetry in there, perhaps that helps. You could rearrange this to be in the form of a quadratic in x and then consider the formula to get an answer in terms of y and repeat this for a quadratic in y (and you'll find that these two equations are the same, just with the x and y's swapped around). Although, I'm not sure how I would finish off the problem.
EDIT: New idea, divide through the above equation by 6xy. May leave you with something much easier to deal with.
EDIT2: Drawing the graph may also be useful.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Have you gotten to the stage where you need to solve x2y+xy26xy+6=0x^2y+xy^2-6xy+6=0 by taking the tan of both sides from the start? There's symmetry in there, perhaps that helps. You could rearrange this to be in the form of a quadratic in x and then consider the formula to get an answer in terms of y and repeat this for a quadratic in y (and you'll find that these two equations are the same, just with the x and y's swapped around). Although, I'm not sure how I would finish off the problem.

I did get to there and tried to look at what I needed under the square root so that the answers would be rational. I couldn't get that to work. The answers do lie between 0.9358 and 3.3055 but that doesn't really help either.
Original post by Mr M
I did get to there and tried to look at what I needed under the square root so that the answers would be rational. I couldn't get that to work. The answers do lie between 0.9358 and 3.3055 but that doesn't really help either.

I've gotten down to this:
x+y+6xy=6x+y+\frac{6}{xy}=6
I'm not sure how to get any further. If you do figure it out, could I ask you to post your solution up on here as I think I'd be interested to see it? Would have been so much easier if x and y were just integers...
I've gotten down to this:
x+y+6xy=6x+y+\frac{6}{xy}=6
I'm not sure how to get any further. If you do figure it out, could I ask you to post your solution up on here as I think I'd be interested to see it? Would have been so much easier if x and y were just integers...

Yes, how inconvenient that the number of rationals is not finite (and small)!
Original post by Mr M
Yes, how inconvenient that the number of rationals is not finite (and small)!

Indeed, I think I'll have to leave this for someone with a few more brain cells than me to round off.
EDIT: New idea, divide through the above equation by 6xy. May leave you with something much easier to deal with.
EDIT2: Drawing the graph may also be useful.

That simplifies to

x2+(y6)x+6y=0 x^2 + (y-6)x + \frac{6}{y} = 0

After that wouldn't you just put some numbers to produce a pair of solutions i.e putting y = 2 gives x = 1.

which is a valid pair of solution.
Original post by jasbirsingh
That simplifies to

x2+(y6)x+6y=0 x^2 + (y-6)x + \frac{6}{y} = 0

After that wouldn't you just put some numbers to produce a pair of solutions i.e putting y = 2 gives x = 1.

which is a valid pair of solution.

Yes but how would you find ALL of the valid rational solutions? That's not quite so easy. I found all the integer solutions instantly. Finding all of the rational solutions is far more difficult than that.
It appears to be easier to work with x+y+6xy=6x+y+\frac{6}{xy}=6 than what you have up there.
Yes but how would you find ALL of the valid rational solutions? That's not quite so easy. I found all the integer solutions instantly. Finding all of the rational solutions is far more difficult than that.
It appears to be easier to work with x+y+6xy=6x+y+\frac{6}{xy}=6 than what you have up there.

Oops sorry I didn't read the question properly.

Actually, I haven't been asked to find ALL of them. One more will do but I can't even manage that.

:sad:
By computer search:
When y = 8, you get x^2 + 2x + 3/4 = 0, so x = -1/2 or x=-3/2 both work.

Also y = -3/2, y = 25/21, y= 49/15, y = 54/35, -361/68, 867/76. (Haven't verified whether any of these work, although y = -3/2 is a symmetry pair to the y=8 case so it will).
Original post by DFranklin
By computer search:
When y = 8, you get x^2 + 2x + 3/4 = 0, so x = -1/2 or x=-3/2 both work.

Also y = -3/2, y = 25/21, y= 49/15, y = 54/35, -361/68, 867/76. (Haven't verified whether any of these work, although y = -3/2 is a symmetry pair to the y=8 case so it will).

I believe that Mr M asked for the positive rational solutions for x and y.
EDIT: (x,y)=(4915,2521)(x,y)=(\frac{49}{15},\frac{25}{21}) is a suggestion of yours that works.
(edited 13 years ago)
Guessing somewhat about which solutions will 'pair', I suspect you'll find y=49/15, x = 54/35 will be such a solution.

(Haven't time to check right now).
Original post by DFranklin
Guessing somewhat about which solutions will 'pair', I suspect you'll find y=49/15, x = 54/35 will be such a solution.

(Haven't time to check right now).

Thanks. That has moved me forward anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest